The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

ShaunB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks. I was considering modifying the sump input drain area to accept 2 x 1" bulkheads... Haven't committed to that yet though, may just dump the secondary into the skimmer section.

I'm only planning 5x turnover through the sump on a 65 gallon display so I guess 1" drain will be big enough?

CORALxxREEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed shadow overflow on a 180 and it's the loudest overflow I have ever heard. There is a waterfall noise from the internal box and cooing noise from the external box coming from the open channel sounds like I have a flock of doves in my house. I have experimented with different size pipes in the external box and doesn't help. The water level in rear box is almost even with the bulkheads if I drop the water level in the box using the gate valve I can get ride of the cooing noise but the waterfall sound from the internal box gets louder. The noise from this overflow is unbearable any help will greatly appreciated!!

ShaunB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow, backup drain and emergency will all be 1". Is it acceptable to reduce down to 1" pipe right out of the overflow like this? My gate valve will be 2-3' away inside the base cabinet.
IMG_7285.JPG

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do it that way. On mine, I have a 2' run of 1 1/2" into a union; the exit of the union is where I go down to 1". That way, should you ever decide to go back up to 1 1/2", it can be done easily.

ShaunB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that. This tank is only 65 gallons with a 20 gallon sump and I'm only shooting for 3-5 times turnover. That is a maximum of 325gph through the 1" drain. Shouldn't that be enough?

I don't have access to the back of the tank so I put my 1" bulkheads in the stand. I'll need to make the transition from 1-1/2" pipe down to 1" pipe behind the tank (not accessible).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back