The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

Reef News

Latest Reef News
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef News submitted a new Article:

The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

Untitled-25.jpg

The Shadow™ Overflow is the evolution of the Synergy Reef™ overflow system. Now 100% Injection Molded! Featuring a removable weir for ease of maintenance and our molded design for failsafe operation. Our ultra slim design has revolutionized the aquarium overflow and how aquariums get water into their filtration systems. It is a very simple to install, plug and play overflow system. Completely quiet operation when used to our specifications. Our years of testing...

Read more about this article here...

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super happy with my ghost style overflow from modular marine for half the price if anyone is in the market.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is our video to shoe some more detail.

Super happy with my ghost style overflow from modular marine for half the price if anyone is in the market.

not for half the price of $139.99 with free shipping and the shirt. that puts the overflow under $95. when you see one of our new ones in person you will understand. everyone that has seen this at MACNA today has been blown away. You're comparing apples to green beans.

Last edited:

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I obviously haven't used this brand yet, but I've used this style of overflow box to retrofit a couple of previously non-drilled tanks. I was able to drain the tanks to about 4-6" of water, drill for the overflow box, install the box, and refill in only a few hours. I like this style of overflow way, way better than an internal corner or center overflow. This style of overflow box is really quite nice, and a great option for someone wanting to retrofit. It's also a great option for someone with an internal overflow box that wants to upgrade to an external overflow box without having to buy a new tank. Also, the MSRP of the Synergy overflow box is right on par with everyone else.

BigMack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHY... on any forum... why do you always see the same old posts... Someone posts a new product... pretty soon someone else posts that they bought a competing product cheaper... btw - a "Ghost style" overflow means that they copied it - if they're selling it cheaper, then that's exactly what it is - a cheap copy. Next someone will post how you don't need to buy any of this - you can DIY... Then, someone will post an angry message - total outrage that they JUST purchased the old version and HOW DARE THEY come out with a new one... after that simmers for a while, someone will demand to know why the weirs aren't interchangeable between the old and the new, and HOW DARE THEY!!! etc. etc... For the record - I don't own one of these, so I don't have a horse in this race. For once, can't we look at a nice new product, revel in its beauty, and be happy?

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHY... on any forum... why do you always see the same old posts... Someone posts a new product... pretty soon someone else posts that they bought a competing product cheaper... btw - a "Ghost style" overflow means that they copied it

I'm in agreement with the first part of your post but well, to be fair: the massive elephant in the room that nobody really seems to address is that this overflow itself is simply a BeanAnimal fit inside a smaller box. A Copy, if you will, of William Burnett's original design, except one of the most critical and beneficial pieces of the Bean was removed: the coast to coast weir.
I can see some people buying it just for convenience in not having to have anything fabbed, but "revolutionary?" I mean lets call it how it is. The very foundation of this thing relies on Bean's design. I think homage should be paid where credit is due in the actual product description, and all rights to call anyone else out on "copying" something on a product that is itself a copy of someone else's design, are rendered obsolete.

Last edited:

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I think airplane was invented by Wright brothers, but when do you see anyone paying homage to them? And there are so many other things which "copy" wouldn't be a right term to denote as. It's all about innovation. While I agree coast to coast is a functional design concept only with a single drawback imo that is fish going surfing through it.
I think the product is absolutely wonderfull aesthetically as well as functionally with highly competitive price. I do understand how hard it is to design something from ground up even as taken as inspiration of other design to turn in to something like this.
The smaller box does not necessarily be used with beans design can be used with stockman or durso too.
Pc is difficult to mold and subjected to few rejections at times. It's a complex process to get things out to look like that, you don't know what I mean.
And btw to let ya"ll know I'm not associated to synergy in anyways nor I'm a user nor i have access to buy or use any of the products coz it's out of my reach.
Someone has a quality product with a good design and killer price so it is what it is. It should be appreciated.

Last edited:

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you pay what you get!
you don't get a Rolls at the price of Nissan!

But what synergy have come up with is really revolutionary in terms of cost!
Injection molded parts have significant investment but cuts down the costs on production. So they are being able to pass on those benefits to end users. More over the products are much more uniform in terms of quality and finish.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in agreement with the first part of your post but well, to be fair: the massive elephant in the room that nobody really seems to address is that this overflow itself is simply a BeanAnimal fit inside a smaller box. A Copy, if you will, of William Burnett's original design, except one of the most critical and beneficial pieces of the Bean was removed: the coast to coast weir.
I can see some people buying it just for convenience in not having to have anything fabbed, but "revolutionary?" I mean lets call it how it is. The very foundation of this thing relies on Bean's design. I think homage should be paid where credit is due in the actual product description, and all rights to call anyone else out on "copying" something on a product that is itself a copy of someone else's design, are rendered obsolete.

While this is partially true, it is totally different than a bean animal design. What bean has done is similar but very different. Sure you could use some of his concept when plumbing this, but the design of the overflow is like nothing he has ever produced or tested. Companies that try to copy our overflow are coping the fundamental design and slim concept that we use. The plumbing is secondary. Yes it has 3 pipes, but we have simplified it to work with our system.
I'm on a plane at the moment, but will provide more details later as to why ours is different. I'm not trying to discredit bean animal in anyway, but our design is totally different.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great product! Great guy! Thanks again for the shirt Rick it was a pleasure meeting you.

PSX_20160911_120837.jpg

Nice meeting you as well Rob! Thanks for the support!

Will it fit the drilling of the old kit?

Yes. The whole pattern is the same as the original 16" Synergy overflow.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is this different from your other overflow?
I was wondering if the plumbing could be bought separately and used on your other overflow.
How about the cover it look much nicer?

Looks really nice.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back