The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this different from your other overflow?
I was wondering if the plumbing could be bought separately and used on your other overflow.
How about the cover it look much nicer?

Looks really nice.

The 16" Shadow is now injection molded instead of hand built and glued. This means it has a seamless design. The parts are 3D cad designed to fit together. On our website we have a section on the Shadow page that tells all the changes.
We will be selling our new U-flow pipes separately. They only come in 1.5" though.
The rear cover will not work on the older models. It locks in place with a channel on the Shadow and is slightly a different size.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 16" Shadow is now injection molded instead of hand built and glued. This means it has a seamless design. The parts are 3D cad designed to fit together. On our website we have a section on the Shadow page that tells all the changes.
We will be selling our new U-flow pipes separately. They only come in 1.5" though.
The rear cover will not work on the older models. It locks in place with a channel on the Shadow and is slightly a different size.

That means they do not fit the older 16" bummer.
Will this fit the same foot print as the older. Meaning could I buy the new 16" and replace a older?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That means they do not fit the older 16" bummer.
Will this fit the same foot print as the older. Meaning could I buy the new 16" and replace a older?

Yes the drilled hole pattern is the same. If the holes were drilled with a 2.5" hole saw it will fit perfect.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty slick. I had the 20" Synergy Reef Overflow on my 125 and it was amazing. My biggest problem with it was getting my hands into the rear box to do maintenance - because of the top bracing I could never really get my bear paws in there to mess with pipes and such (which, granted was only really an issue when initially setting up and taking down the overflow, but still! You get your hands stuck in an overflow a few times, and it scars you for life!). Anyhow, This looks really cool and gets rid of that top bracing and lets the top better fit on the box. Some relatively minor seeming tweaks to an already awesome product will really make these fly off the shelves. Kinda wish my new tank was using this style of overflow....

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty slick. I had the 20" Synergy Reef Overflow on my 125 and it was amazing. My biggest problem with it was getting my hands into the rear box to do maintenance - because of the top bracing I could never really get my bear paws in there to mess with pipes and such (which, granted was only really an issue when initially setting up and taking down the overflow, but still! You get your hands stuck in an overflow a few times, and it scars you for life!). Anyhow, This looks really cool and gets rid of that top bracing and lets the top better fit on the box. Some relatively minor seeming tweaks to an already awesome product will really make these fly off the shelves. Kinda wish my new tank was using this style of overflow....

Thanks for the feedback! That is one of the reasons we wanted a design without the 2 braces in the rear box. With hand build acrylic designs, it cannot be done, because of warpage to the box over time. The the lids don't fit properly after that. Our new designed lid locks all 4 sides back in place after it is removed. So the box stays straight and doesn't warp when it is on. There are a lot of new little details that once people get these in their hands will be blown away by. Everyone that saw these at MACNA was in awe of the design. It really is revolutionary. We are not surprised by how many pre-sale overflows we have sold so far. Years of testing and hard work went into what this has become.

michaelrc51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new product!
Are you planning a larger unit as well?
I have a 20" ghost one I haven't installed yet on my 225 gallon, would one 16" flow enough volume? I am thinking it would......

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new product!
Are you planning a larger unit as well?
I have a 20" ghost one I haven't installed yet on my 225 gallon, would one 16" flow enough volume? I am thinking it would......
Thank you. We are in the testing phase for a larger unit, but nothing set in stone yet. For now we are still building the 20" the same way. Cost of tooling to mold these overflow systems is not cheap. It would really depend on how much flow you intend to run. We have had customers run 16" on 220s.
How long will the pre-order pricing last?
We are doing a limited number. Once our site hits it, it will go back. We may run it a little longer since we have had such a great response so far.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I think airplane was invented by Wright brothers, but when do you see anyone paying homage to them? And there are so many other things which "copy" wouldn't be a right term to denote as. It's all about innovation. While I agree coast to coast is a functional design concept only with a single drawback imo that is fish going surfing through it.
I think you missed the point: I have no problem with someone building an overflow around Bean's design. I interjected because the user above my post took issue with somebody quote "copying," the "Ghost" overflow, when said overflow is simply a Beananimal in a preassembled kit. A copy if you will. By the way, i think youre confusing "coast to coast," with a smooth weir. One can have a C2C and opt to use teeth if they wish(I run 3 of these overflows and dont use teeth because of the surface skimming advantages but thats just my preference)

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is partially true, it is totally different than a bean animal design. What bean has done is similar but very different. Sure you could use some of his concept when plumbing this, but the design of the overflow is like nothing he has ever produced or tested. Companies that try to copy our overflow are coping the fundamental design and slim concept that we use. The plumbing is secondary. Yes it has 3 pipes, but we have simplified it to work with our system.
I'm on a plane at the moment, but will provide more details later as to why ours is different. I'm not trying to discredit bean animal in anyway, but our design is totally different.

Im not here to knock anybody's product. I think its outstanding that a Bean is offered to the aquarist in a pre fabbed kit. Bean and Anthony Calfo's design revolutionized the hobby. My original post was simply pointing out the irony when somebody decried the "Ghost" being copied, which i found amusing.
And yes, please do elaborate on why your product is different.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed the point: I have no problem with someone building an overflow around Bean's design. I interjected because the user above my post took issue with somebody quote "copying," the "Ghost" overflow, when said overflow is simply a Beananimal in a preassembled kit. A copy if you will. By the way, i think youre confusing "coast to coast," with a smooth weir. One can have a C2C and opt to use teeth if they wish(I run 3 of these overflows and dont use teeth because of the surface skimming advantages but thats just my preference)

Bean's design requires a C2C overflow system. Our design does not use C2C or any configurations that the bean design uses. While yes, it can use 3 pipes, it can also be run durso, herbie or any other standard plumbing configuration. This is not simply a "Beananimal" in a pre assembled kit. What makes ours different is the whole design (slim, interior/exterior modular box, removable weirs, capability to plumb in different fashions, ect) is what makes our design so popular. Beananimal simply is a concept for plumbing, not an actual tangible item. His concept is not patentable because it is a natural occurring process. Yes he was the first to document such process, but not the first to invent it. Beananimal has never assembled any product that even looks remotely similar to our design. I will give credit to beananimal for his design and process that is a perfect option for C2C systems, but it is not the same thing we produce.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not here to knock anybody's product. I think its outstanding that a Bean is offered to the aquarist in a pre fabbed kit. Bean and Anthony Calfo's design revolutionized the hobby. My original post was simply pointing out the irony when somebody decried the "Ghost" being copied, which i found amusing.
And yes, please do elaborate on why your product is different.

Again we are talking about copying a design, not a process for which water flows.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Will this new overflow have the same demensions as your previous one? Will it just fit right in the same holes as your other model?
Thanks Nitro

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beananimal designed overflow
back-wide_500x375.jpg

This is a Shadow
N3PWV9b.png

When looking at the design of the overflow itself they are 2 different designs.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean's design requires a C2C overflow system. Our design does not use C2C or any configurations that the bean design uses. While yes, it can use 3 pipes, it can also be run durso, herbie or any other standard plumbing configuration. This is not simply a "Beananimal" in a pre assembled kit. What makes ours different is the whole design (slim, interior/exterior modular box, removable weirs, capability to plumb in different fashions, ect) is what makes our design so popular. Beananimal simply is a concept for plumbing, not an actual tangible item. His concept is not patentable because it is a natural occurring process. Yes he was the first to document such process, but not the first to invent it. Beananimal has never assembled any product that even looks remotely similar to our design. I will give credit to beananimal for his design and process that is a perfect option for C2C systems, but it is not the same thing we produce.

Alright well just for the record, since you brought it to light: Here you go. Here's William Burnett's outlay on his initial plans for your reference.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

He "settled" on the coast to coast simply because of the surface skimming capabilities. He then stated that he desired to come up with a totally silent overflow option and one which is flood failsafe, with more flow capabilities, which has nothing to do with the coast to coast weir. Herbie's and Durso's do not offer these capabilities.
In other words, the BeanAnimal is entirely a design around standpipes( the identical setup you offer in your product) and not around the coast to coast. The C2C is secondary and simply a matter of preference. There are tons of people who run Beans in a small overflow box and opt out of using a C2C, with or without teeth in the weir.
Again, I think it's great that his design is being offered in a plug and play product, and I'm not suggesting your overflow is box has anything to do with Beans system. But neither does Bean's C2C overflow box.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Will this new overflow have the same demensions as your previous one? Will it just fit right in the same holes as your other model?
Thanks Nitro

Yes it will. The 16" versions have the same hole pattern. As long as it was drilled as per the original instructions, they are interchangeable.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright well just for the record, since you brought it to light: Here you go. Here's William Burnett's outlay on his initial plans for your reference.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

He "settled" on the coast to coast simply because of the surface skimming capabilities. He then stated that he desired to come up with a totally silent overflow option and one which is flood failsafe, with more flow capabilities, which has nothing to do with the coast to coast weir. Herbie's and Durso's do not offer these capabilities.
In other words, the BeanAnimal is entirely a design around standpipes( the identical setup you offer in your product) and not around the coast to coast. The C2C is secondary and simply a matter of preference. There are tons of people who run Beans in a small overflow box and opt out of using a C2C, with or without teeth in the weir.
Again, I think it's great that his design is being offered in a plug and play product, and I'm not suggesting your overflow is box has anything to do with Beans system. But neither does Bean's C2C overflow box.

Correct, you can run a bean variant in our overflow. Our "design" does not require you to run a bean to work. It is a multifaceted design. This is where we are saying that others have copied our design. The actual box itself. So saying that ours is just a "beananimal" copy is not true. What if we plumb it with a Durso :D

I personally love the Beananimal plumbing variant. I have no problem giving him credit for what he has documented in his studies. It works awesome. But what we are producing is a actual modular overflow design. A tangible product.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a beananimal designed overflow
back-wide_500x375.jpg

This is a Shadow
N3PWV9b.png

When looking at the design of the overflow itself they are 2 different designs.
Again I am absolutely not knocking your product and as stated I think it's great you offered a Bean as your go to standpipe option. It's by far the best way to plumb a tank. But in response, since your posted that photo: they're EXACTLY the same standpipe orientation. A Full Siphon, an Open Channel, and an Emergency drain. The airline is optional on the Open Channel. It functions the exact same way in your orientation. Again, the C2C is secondary to the BeanAnimal. The design IS the physics of the standpipes. He just chose to utilize that particular weir. I don't wanna get off on a tangent, as I think you're offering a solid product but I Will of course rebuttal the claims that you are not running a Bean in your system dude!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back