The Shadow™ Overflow from Synergy Reef has arrived!

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, you can run a bean variant in our overflow. Our "design" does not require you to run a bean to work. It is a multifaceted design. This is where we are saying that others have copied our design. The actual box itself. So saying that ours is just a "beananimal" copy is not true. What if we plumb it with a Durso :D
Correction, you Are running a Bean, not a variant, in your overflow.
Once again: a Bean IS the standpipe orientation. Nobody has suggested that your actual box design is what marries it to Bean's system. And again it's great to see it offered in a plug and play product. No issues there.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may: I'm just clearing up some false claims about what a Bean is and what it isn't. It isn't the weir. It's the Standpipe design. I sincerely think it's outstanding you're using it in your box. From what I've seen you're the only one offering his system, which is unparalleled for the floodsafe and available flowcapabilities, as your standpipe option.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again I am absolutely not knocking your product and as stated I think it's great you offered a Bean as your go to standpipe option. It's by far the best way to plumb a tank. But in response, since your posted that photo: they're EXACTLY the same standpipe orientation. A Full Siphon, an Open Channel, and an Emergency drain. The airline is optional on the Open Channel. It functions the exact same way in your orientation. Again, the C2C is secondary to the BeanAnimal. The design IS the physics of the standpipes. He just chose to utilize that particular weir. I don't wanna get off on a tangent, as I think you're offering a solid product but I Will of course rebuttal the claims that you are not running a Bean in your system dude!

I know you're not knocking us. I appreciate the positive comments. We have lots of customers that do not run a bean setup. I'm sure plenty can chime in on here. I never said that ours cannot be plumbed with a bean type setup. In that photo that tank has 3 holes drilled in it. Our overflow requires 2 holes thru the tank. This is where the "Design" changes. Design is not the physics of the standpipes. That is a natural occurring process (trust me I have talked to numerous patent attorneys about overflows and what is patentable). Design is the actual product. Plumbing and water siphoning is not patentable because physics make it a natural process.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're not knocking us. I appreciate the positive comments. We have lots of customers that do not run a bean setup. I'm sure plenty can chime in on here. I never said that ours cannot be plumbed with a bean type setup. In that photo that tank has 3 holes drilled in it. Our overflow requires 2 holes thru the tank. This is where the "Design" changes. Design is not the physics of the standpipes. That is a natural occurring process (trust me I have talked to numerous patent attorneys about overflows and what is patentable). Design is the actual product. Plumbing and water siphoning is not patentable because physics make it a natural process.
The Emergency channel runs dry and only engages if the water level rises, which then flushes the rising water into the sump instead of out of the tank. That's the reason why you're able to offer your box with two bulkheads. Lots of people run their Beans the same way. There's nothing innovative about that particular part of the design. I'm not arguing any sort of stance on your actual box, but as far as the standpipe operation: I'm sorry but two holes instead of three doesn't not make it a Bean.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle open pipe contained in your box: is that an emergency drain that operates dry and flushes water into the sump if the other two standpipes were too clog?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Emergency channel runs dry and only engages if the water level rises, which then flushes the rising water into the sump instead of out of the tank. That's the reason why you're able to offer your box with two bulkheads. Lots of people run their Beans the same way. There's nothing innovative about that particular part of the design. I'm not arguing any sort of stance on your actual box, but as far as the standpipe operation: I'm sorry but two holes instead of three doesn't not make it a Bean.

We are just kicking a dead horse here. I have said it multiple time, YES you can run a bean animal on our overflow. Do you have to NO. The design of our overflow is not a copy of the beananimal, it allows you to run a beananimal or durso or herbie or single stand pipe. Heck you can run it with no pipes if you wanted to. The physical box is what we are selling, which beananimal has never designed.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are just kicking a dead horse here. I have said it multiple time, YES you can run a bean animal on our overflow. Do you have to NO. The design of our overflow is not a copy of the beananimal, it allows you to run a beananimal or durso or herbie or single stand pipe. Heck you can run it with no pipes if you wanted to. The physical box is what we are selling, which beananimal has never designed.
Agreed! And as you have it pictured in your CAD's and product video: it's operated as a Bean, no matter how you slice it! The Emergency Channel doesn't require a bulkhead since it's only engaged from the overflow box in the event that the water arises. I just find it strange that you're pitching a product with a Bean standpipe system and yet refuse to call it a Bean , which should be your major selling point since it's the most superior standpipe system in the hobby. But carry on brother, and I wish you luck with your product!

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all dude. File back and you'll see that Synergy wanted to keep going, so I kept rolling. I know that standpipe system very well. Truly some miraculous claims getting thrown around in this thread that quite frankly could not go unchallenged. Claims that a BeanAnimal is reliant upon a coast to coast weir as part of its design which is nonsense. Claims that elimination of the emergency channel bulkhead changes the design of a Bean, when the emergency channel has never, ever required a bulkhead! By the way, you'll notice I offered nothing but praise for this product which is possibly the only plug and play overflow system in a pre assembled kit offering Bean's standpipe system, which trumps any other standpipe system in the hobby, period. From my vantage point, all of the banter/ discussion in this thread has not been inflammatory and is nothing but beneficial to the product.

Last edited:

hung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed my order, can't wait! Any chance it gets here before mid-November?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed my order, can't wait! Any chance it gets here before mid-November?
Possible, but right now our molder is scheduled to shoot them the first week of November. Then we have to package them and they will be ready to ship. We have a couple small tweeks we need to do to the tools to get them perfect.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing, I was just about to order the standard one and saw this new one and placed a preorder ,I can't wait to see it! I also might do a cl34 sump, whats the lead time on these ?

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing, I was just about to order the standard one and saw this new one and placed a preorder ,I can't wait to see it! I also might do a cl34 sump, whats the lead time on these ?
Thanks Justin. All CL sumps ship in 1 -2 weeks. The Shadow now integrates perfectly with all of our sumps.

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are a few things that make this new design better than anything else on the market:
One Piece Molded Design on the front and rear boxes.
qazOAlfl.jpg

EYCdymll.jpg

Interlocking rear cover that does not allow water or salt creep to escape. Kills any noise inside the rear box. No other overflow offers this type of precision.
Emk0r62l.jpg

Interlocking weir locks into place and slides out for easy removal. Zero clearance removal allows this to be used on trimmed, euro braced and rimless tanks.
kZOC2qPl.jpg

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our test tank running 1300 gph through the first prototypes of the Shadow. It's running flawlessly. So awesome to see it come alive!

1f3bcce3b2524fe15f3199568ab8beb9.jpg

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back