Not open for further replies.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I am EXACTLY on target.

There will ALWAYS be the unscrupulous. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. Also there will be others with different needs than yours. I bought my fish from liveaquaria. I am very happy with them. I will buy again. I actually sought out liveaquaria because I am trying to skip as many medicated tanks as possible in the supply chain before the fish reaches my tank. I could pay the extra and buy the QT'ed eating fish, but for me all they are doing is hiding the loss and passing that cost onto you. No thanks, I have methods that work and will allow me to do it on my own.

This hobby hasn't much changed save for the equipment in the 25 years, and the fish aspect hasn't changed in the 35 that I have been in it.

What you are doing is trying to force the world to conform to you. You will NEVER succeed. If you want success then you will have to play by the rules of the world. If you want to flounder and be mad and complain then keep trying to force the world to be what YOU want it. Trust me enough banging your head on the world will just result in a headache and in this hobby it will result in you leaving. I have seen A LOT of people leave this hobby because they don't want to play by the rules of the game.

Re-think what you want from all of this because it requires some serious humility to stay with.
Preach

pulpfiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I am EXACTLY on target.

There will ALWAYS be the unscrupulous. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. Also there will be others with different needs than yours. I bought my fish from liveaquaria. I am very happy with them. I will buy again. I actually sought out liveaquaria because I am trying to skip as many medicated tanks as possible in the supply chain before the fish reaches my tank. I could pay the extra and buy the QT'ed eating fish, but for me all they are doing is hiding the loss and passing that cost onto you. No thanks, I have methods that work and will allow me to do it on my own.

This hobby hasn't much changed save for the equipment in the 25 years, and the fish aspect hasn't changed in the 35 that I have been in it.

What you are doing is trying to force the world to conform to you. You will NEVER succeed. If you want success then you will have to play by the rules of the world. If you want to flounder and be mad and complain then keep trying to force the world to be what YOU want it. Trust me enough banging your head on the world will just result in a headache and in this hobby it will result in you leaving. I have seen A LOT of people leave this hobby because they don't want to play by the rules of the game.

Re-think what you want from all of this because it requires some serious humility to stay with.
Sounds more like you're afraid of change or you're taking my opinion like it's a personal offense. Wanting to see higher quality/healthy animals from sellers shouldn't be a boogieman topic.

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so disappointed with the state of this hobby at the moment, and ready to quit. I have just been getting back in after stopping for a few years, and am beginning to remember why I quit.
Start with fish. I have spent about $500 on fish in the last few months. Started with two from the LFS. They had ich, so in to QT they went while the tank is fallow. Decided while I am QTing them, it would be a good time to get the others we want to add. Ordered 4 from Live Aquaria. Three were essentially DOA, dying the morning after arrival, the next morning, and the next. The two from the LFS and the remaining mail order fish made it through copper, and were in a sperate observation tank. the remaining mail order fish died in observation, and then I THINK the tank got overwhelmed with ammonia, even though it had media and I added Fritz live bacteria to jump start the bio filter. This morning the Tang was dead.
Foolishly thinking things were looking up, we had ordered three replacements from LA for the first batch of fish, arrived late last week. This time I wanted to absolutely minimize stress, so the initial fill on the treatment tank was at a low salinity, which I matched to the bag water, acclimated them for an hour, then introduced them. No copper to start, I just wanted to get them eating and acclimated to the tank. This morning one of the three, a wrasse, is also dead.
So out of 9 fish, 6 are dead before making it through QT. 5 of 7 mail order from LA, and 1 of 2 from the LFS. I have no idea what I can do differently, I followed the QT procedure from humble.fish, slowly ramped up the copper, soaked their food in general cure and focus, and treated the water with Metro. Still all dead.

My bigger gripe is WHY should I have to quarantine the fish in the first place? How is it acceptable that pets should come from the store riddled with disease to the point if you don't treat them, they will infect your home and kill themselves and all your other pets? In what other pets is this acceptable? if someone said "sorry your dog was DOA, we'll send another one out right away, you just have to pay for shipping. And tax", Sarah McLachlan would have el-kabonged them into submission with her guitar ages ago. Yet, here we sit, accepting diseased, unhealthy pets and wonder what WE did wrong to kill them.

We visited three local fish stores, and all of them had signs of ich in their tanks. All of them had bubble and hair algae in their tanks. All of them had aiptasia in their tanks. One had dead fish floating around in some of their tanks. So buying local is no solution, the fish perhaps bypass shipping stress, but still need to be decontaminated and nursed back to health.

And the original issue that caused me to quit is still going strong - hair algae. The tank is overrun with it. The tang and blennie were keeping it in check, until they had to be removed due to the ich. But that isn't really a solution, it is just a band aid masking the problem. And still, no one *knows* how to eliminate it. Sure, people will point to phosphates and nitrates, or suggest growing cheato, or carbon dosing, or scrubbing with peroxide. Tried them all, no bueno. In fact, I will bet there is not a tank that has been up for at least 5 years, gotten hair algae, then had it eliminated for 5 years after without a wholesale change of everything or critters that eat it.

Rant over, thanks for listening, I think I feel a little better now.

Too much too fast... should have finished the two in QT before ordering more.

It is more difficult to QT multiple fish then just a few at a time.

QT tanks are often set up quickly and with bottled bacteria or media and expecting them to take on a full fish load as a DT is risky.

You can buy fish already quarantined quality fish... we have that too... from Dr Reef or TSM. You will pay more for these fish as they are housing and treating fish for 30 days.

I would stay away from LA, they are not what they used to be.

GHA is another issue for a separate post.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sorry for your frustration and your fish losses. If you have vendor feedback you are welcome to create a thread here in the vendor feedback forum outlining the situation. General rant threads are not allowed in accordance to our TOS. This thread has morphed into one of these threads.
Feedback threads about specific vendors, companies and products are allowed as outlined by the TOS. But targeting a specific vendor, company or product in a general discussion where multiple members post dislikes, issues and harsh verbiage is not permitted and will be edited accordingly. Thread titles that are deemed to be overly harsh or inviting a dog pile mentality will be edited to conform to R2R’s guidelines and culture. Our aim is for R2R to be a friendly and welcoming culture for all. Using R2R as a vehicle to air grievances, feed a mob mentality or to cause general negative discourse is prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back