The sump

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been overdue but I'm gonna spend the time to empty and thoroughly clean my 2 year old sump. Motivated by an apparent loss of flow from my return pump (manifold can't seem to adequately run dual reactor so it needs a good citric bath) and an abundance of aptasia. Since I'd really like to make sure I get all the aptasia out if there, any suggestions for what to use to thoroughly clean the glass and ensure the aptasia is no longer a threat? Thanks

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia can be challenging to actually get rid of because if they're in the sump they're also in the tank. Peppermint shrimp will actually eat them if you get a pair.

If you're actually taking the sump out a little while you can just sit it with RO/DI water for a bit and they won't make it. You can also inject them with some water that is super high in alk if you want to go that route. Essentially this ruins the internal chemistry and kills it off.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you taking it out so honestly a decent scrubbing with just about anything reef safe and should be fine. Or set it out in the sun for a day and use that big aiptaisia wand in the sky.

OP
OP
B

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia can be challenging to actually get rid of because if they're in the sump they're also in the tank. Peppermint shrimp will actually eat them if you get a pair.

If you're actually taking the sump out a little while you can just sit it with RO/DI water for a bit and they won't make it. You can also inject them with some water that is super high in alk if you want to go that route. Essentially this ruins the internal chemistry and kills it off.
Thanks for the response. Ya, I've been using the kalk in my DT for a year ir so but those critters like to get into places I can't reach. My peps don't seem to really care about them I'll be working towards getting some berghia for the dt. Sounds like ghe straight tried and true for the sump. Thanks again

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back