The tank I told my GF would be cheap...LOL...I'm in trouble aren't I?

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guy's I'm finally getting around to starting this build thread on my first saltwater tank set up. I guess I should begin with how I started this tank. Basically I have another tank that I had custom built. But because my gf and I are looking to buy a house in the next couple of years, I didn't wan to go and set up this 175g tank in my condo only to tear it down soon after. Thus I decided I would get something like a 20g long just to play with and get use to the saltwater aspect of the tank. But when we went to the LFS they were having a tent sale, and what did I find?? A 65g tank that was on sale from $190 down to $65, the only thing is that it was missing the center brace on the top. I couldn't pass that up so I bought it and thus the build began.
To start with I went to Ikea to pick up a stand large enough to hold the tank, then started to slowly acquire the necessary components. Then I built a new brace bar for the top of the tank out of 316-L stainless. I also built myself an 11gallon hang on the back fuge for the tank out of the same material as the brace. Next I purchased an ATO (tunze osomolator) and a seachem hang on filter that has a skim function in it.
Currently, I am building the aquascape out of reef saver rock. I'll post some pictures when the rock work is finished :)

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which seachem filter? The Tidal?
It doesn't have a skimmer like we use to clean the water of dissolved waste.
The skimmer it has is a "surface skimmer" which pulls water from the surface.

Overall, it looks like a cool, well designed, system.

But you will still probably buy a skimmer.

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which seachem filter? The Tidal?
It doesn't have a skimmer like we use to clean the water of dissolved waste.
The skimmer it has is a "surface skimmer" which pulls water from the surface.

Overall, it looks like a cool, well designed, system.

But you will still probably buy a skimmer.

Yes, that is the one! I completely forgot what it was called. But yes, it has a surface skimmer function on it. I figured that if this works then great, but if not then I would buy a proper one :) Just trying to not lie about the cost too much to the gf haha. And thank you! I'm actually thinking of growing this rockwork out until I am in a house, then transfer it over to the new larger system. That way I can then use this tank as part of a QT system. Do you think that the fuge would be large enough to handle the nitrate export for this size of tank?

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely in trouble if you told her it’s going to be cheap lol. Did you say you made a hang on back fuge out of stainless steel? If so that’s a no no if you plan on having corals. Even though it’s stainless I’m pretty sure it will still rust and add metals to the water.

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely in trouble if you told her it’s going to be cheap lol. Did you say you made a hang on back fuge out of stainless steel? If so that’s a no no if you plan on having corals. Even though it’s stainless I’m pretty sure it will still rust and add metals to the water.

Haha ya, I think I see a lot of flowers in my future.
Oh, I used a type of stainless that is used in the food/brewery industry as it has an ultra low carbon content so as to prevent rust. We also use it at my work (chemical plant) for our piping and salt tank so I figured that it would be the best thing for me to use :/ But I will definitely keep that in mind when I'm doing my testing and have some ICP tests done periodically to ensure that nothing is being leached into the water. Thank you for that, it was really helpful! Do you think that something like activated carbon would remove any of the metals that could potentially be leached out? Otherwise I guess I'm going to have to remove it.

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can be really sensitive to even low levels of metals. I’m not really sure but know even Stainless will rust especially with saltwater. As far as removing metals you want to use a special media for it. I know Brightwell makes one I think called purit that is suppose to remove stuff. I know another company makes ones that absorbs copper, not sure if it does anything else. There is also a filter pad called poly-filter that removes different metals and is suppose to change color to let you know what has been removed

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can be really sensitive to even low levels of metals. I’m not really sure but know even Stainless will rust especially with saltwater. As far as removing metals you want to use a special media for it. I know Brightwell makes one I think called purit that is suppose to remove stuff. I know another company makes ones that absorbs copper, not sure if it does anything else. There is also a filter pad called poly-filter that removes different metals and is suppose to change color to let you know what has been removed

Oh, I have used those pads before! Yes, if I recall they change to a different colour depending upon what impurity it is that its removing.
Yes, most of what are called "stainless steel" will rust depending on the percentage of carbon to alloy materials. But the kind that I used was what my company used for a tote which is filled with a concentrated salt solution and I've never seen any rust in that. BUT! I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions lol So maybe for now I will just keep a close eye on it, and use one of those poly-filters for insurance? Seeing as I built the thing I would like to be able to use it lol.
Do you think that this would be a long term type issue that could also be managed with water changes? Or more so until it gets a kind of mill scale or slime coat that seals the rest off?
So far from what I've found, it is primarily the chromium leaching out into the water that is the largest issue.

Pictures? :) Can't say you build a brace and fuge and not upload some picks.

Haha! Yes, I will have to take some pictures tomorrow when I get up! The brace is actually pretty simple, I made it to not stand out and look as close to original as I could:)

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have used those pads before! Yes, if I recall they change to a different colour depending upon what impurity it is that its removing.
Yes, most of what are called "stainless steel" will rust depending on the percentage of carbon to alloy materials. But the kind that I used was what my company used for a tote which is filled with a concentrated salt solution and I've never seen any rust in that. BUT! I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions lol So maybe for now I will just keep a close eye on it, and use one of those poly-filters for insurance? Seeing as I built the thing I would like to be able to use it lol.
Do you think that this would be a long term type issue that could also be managed with water changes? Or more so until it gets a kind of mill scale or slime coat that seals the rest off?
So far from what I've found, it is primarily the chromium leaching out into the water that is the largest issue.

Haha! Yes, I will have to take some pictures tomorrow when I get up! The brace is actually pretty simple, I made it to not stand out and look as close to original as I could:)
I’m by no means an expert on it but if it was me I wouldn’t use it. I mean I know they use small pieces of high grade stainless in our pump shafts. After awhile they even rust. They are really small so it’s probably not a huge deal and gets removed with water changes. Using something as big a a fuge would make me really nervous though, that’s a lot of metal. I guess there is only one way to find out though lol. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley would know?

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh yes I hear ya! I would at least like to try and use it. What I'm going to do then will be to not put much more than media in it for now while it is cycling. That way I can keep an eye on the level of metals leaching out of the fuge. If it becomes unmanageable then I will be removing it. They have some ICP machines at work, so maybe I should see if they will do some of my testing for me :p
SO! I finally got around to taking some pictures of the set up thus far. I also took some pictures of the rockwork, but I have since made some small changes to it, so I will take more pictures when it is finished. This is also pretty picture heavy lol.
20200924_101616.jpg

20200924_101627.jpg
20200924_101644.jpg
20200924_101649.jpg

This is the brace that I made for the top of the tank.
20200924_101747.jpg
20200924_101804.jpg
20200924_101838.jpg

20200924_101713.jpg

20200924_101852.jpg
20200924_101904.jpg
20200924_105503.jpg
20200924_105510.jpg
20200924_105519.jpg
20200924_105535.jpg
20200924_105544.jpg

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That scape is amazing! I can understand you wanting to use it, that took a lot of work and skill to make. You did a killer job on it. I’m telling you though, it’s probably not going to end well. Maybe you could coat the inside with something to try and reduce the risk a bit.

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job on the fabrication. Is the welding electrode made of the same high grade stainless steel?

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That scape is amazing! I can understand you wanting to use it, that took a lot of work and skill to make. You did a killer job on it. I’m telling you though, it’s probably not going to end well. Maybe you could coat the inside with something to try and reduce the risk a bit.
Ya, so I did some research yesterday at work (there was nothing to do), and I have decided that I am going to do a coat of a clear epoxy on the inside of the fuge to seal the stainless from the saltwater. That way I will know for sure that it will be safe for corals.

Good job on the fabrication. Is the welding electrode made of the same high grade stainless steel?
Oh, I actually welded it with TIG. So it uses a Tungsten electrode that doesn't actually touch the material. But since I only had 3/32" filler of the 316-L I ended up welding it autogenously so there was no filler metal :) I must say, my eyes sure hurt after all that welding since the puddle was so small you really have to focus on what you're doing -_-

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That, and ikea stuck out to me as bad ideas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto darkening helmet doesn't help?:D
Haha yup, I have a couple of welding helmets that are auto darkening :p

Very cool build!

Following :)
Thank you! Glad to have you along for the ride!

That, and ikea stuck out to be as bad ideas.
Oh ya, I also reinforced the ikea stand with some angle iron I had from work. I wanted to be sure it would take the weight :) I am also going to be filling it slowly and test it as it is filled to insure it is safe.

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty, so a little update! I have sealed the inside of the fuge with a clear epoxy resin, put the rockwork into the tank and put in the sand :) I will let the epoxy cure for a couple weeks before I put any water into it, so I figured while I wait I will start the leak test on the tank this weekend. I am going to fill the tank about a third at a time and let sit for a couple days, then fill another third until the tank is full. Then I can buy the salt. A friend of mine who has a reefing business suggested that I use Seachem vibrant, since that is what he uses and has had very good results over the years. Has anyone used this salt before? Or recommend something else?
20201005_132300.jpg

20201005_132312.jpg

20201005_132324.jpg

OP
OP
316Fin

316Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty! I guess its about time I update the situation! I have been taking the week to fill the tank, so I could watch for any possible leaks.

Then today I went and got the salt from a friend of mine that has been helping me out with this build. So now just mixing my very first batch of salt! So exciting!!! I then dosed the bacteria and added a little flake food. So now we wait...popcorn anyone?

20201012_235202.jpg

20201005_132312 (1).jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back