The third time with Harlequin Tusk was a failure!!!

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you switch so fast from frozen mysis and brime to rehydrated food? Fish was eating well, and you switched right away. After 3 failures, I would have kept giving them frozen, rather than switching food. At least I would have waited until they were fully acclimated to my tank, like a few months, before switching.
Buying a pre quarantine fish is another option for you.
Rehydrated shrimps may not agree with them.
In my display tank I feed a custom mixture of rehydrated dry food which consists of plankton, mysis, calanus, krill, and nori soaked in Brightwell Vitamin M and tank water. I do the mixture because it has something for each fish by size and type. My Lyretail Anthias like the calanus. Everyone likes the mysis. My Niger Trigger and Clown Trigger like the plankton, my Niger Trigger loves the krill and nori. My My Cuban hog, Malenarus Wrasse, PBT, Purple Tang, Hippo Tang, and Foxface love it all! My flame hawk likes the plankton and krill. A blister pack cube of each item would be way too much. Feeding just one or two would result in some fish not getting food daily.

Feeding rehydrated dry solves my problems of portion control and ease with the added benefit of cost which is that big a deal but every benefit is a selling point.

They get a weekly treat of frozen plus a crab cluster or clam for my triggers.

Transitioning the newcomers as quickly as possible to the rehydrated food ensures they are eating it aggressively by the time they are ready to go in the display tank. My process for acclimation in QT is first to feed frozen mysis or brine depending on what the supplier was feeding. Once they are eating that, I try one feeding of rehydrated mysis without Vitamin M and/or spectrum pellets. I conduct a daily attempt of each dry food rehydrated (plankton, mysis calanus, and krill) until they eat multiple types of rehydrated food aggressively. I also introduce Vitamin M in increasing amounts as well until they eat fully rehydrated in Vitamin M. If they don't eat the rehydrated they get frozen, I don't believe in starving fishing to force them to eat. My fish go through this process for at least four weeks and then they are introduced into the display tank on when they go over one week of aggressively eating rehydrated food (I mean AGGRESSIVELY).

When they make it to the display tank they know the food and associate me with the food (no hiding when I approach the tank). That way they just have to get used to their new tankmates.

I wish I did this with my Majestic Angel and Bimac Anthias who both never ate, well the Bimac didn't eat aggressively he just pecked which is why he lasted a couple of months.

I do wonder if the rehydrated food impacts the Tusk but I know many people who never feed frozen and don't even rehydrate, they just through the freeze-dried in directly and have success with Tusks.

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share with this thread an interesting update. I was installing new lights. Upgraded from some old AI lights to Kessil A360X Tuna Blue. I moves wires around behind my stand and found a died up Tusk. I guess the first Tusk I thought went into a rock and died actually jumped out the back of the tank.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed your post. I would have texted you for a video if I noticed it the first time. I'm sorry.
Nothing to be sorry about. If you’re looking for a solid tusk just let me know.

Suneru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to be sorry about. If you’re looking for a solid tusk just let me know.
Any tips for getting them to eating or acclimating?
Igot a beautiful tusk from WWC but it’s stopped eating a week ago. Even before that it only laid on the sand and would bite at food but miss. The other symptoms line up with cyanide poisoning but WWC assured me that would be possible. I fear it might be too late for my tusk but I’m willing to try!

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Igot a beautiful tusk from WWC but it’s stopped eating a week ago. Even before that it only laid on the sand and would bite at food but miss. The other symptoms line up with cyanide poisoning but WWC assured me that would be possible. I fear it might be too late for my tusk but I’m willing to try!
There is a big difference with our tusks. 1. From Australia 2. Fully conditioned and quarantined. 3. Eating and trained to eat frozen foods.
How about I’ll send you one of our tusks, and if you don’t get it eating and aren’t completely happy in the first week….don’t pay me for it. If you’re ok with that, let me know. I know our fish will make you a believer and you’ll be a long time customer after that. Happy to help you build that confident and stop messing with fish that haven’t been put through the process to make sure they are healthy.

Suneru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a big difference with our tusks. 1. From Australia 2. Fully conditioned and quarantined. 3. Eating and trained to eat frozen foods.
How about I’ll send you one of our tusks, and if you don’t get it eating and aren’t completely happy in the first week….don’t pay me for it. If you’re ok with that, let me know. I know our fish will make you a believer and you’ll be a long time customer after that. Happy to help you build that confident and stop messing with fish that haven’t been put through the process to make sure they are healthy.
Thank you, I'd like to do everything I can to save my tusk. Although it been messed up for over two months, and now hasn't eaten in a week. I'll PM you about your offer!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@kboogie

TSM is amazing and won't send you a fish that isn't eating and it will come QT and conditioned. Their QT process is 30 days min. The prices always seem very competitive for QT fish as well. Really happy with the fish I have gotten from TSM.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine wAS FINISKY AND i STARTED WITH LIVE BRINE, THEN GHOST SHRIMP THEN lrs CHUNKY FOOD AND EATING MACHINE
---- OOPS ON CAPS LOCK

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back