the trick to adding more flow in an sps tank?

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding more flow and using pumps such as Tunzes, I would run them at a lower speed and slowly increase them over time. Kinda like acclimating corals to new bulbs. I know when I added my tunzes I started them at the same percentage (gph) as the pumps they replaced.

Another thought, but might not be an option for everyone is to grow them out for awhile in a frag tank before adding them to the display. A good friend of mine uses 10k bulbs over his frag tank and get great growth. Once they add a little size he then move them to the display.
Good points, I've considered that as well, but a frag tank is not an option for me currently. I may need to start all my new SPS frags on the opposite side of the tank for a while, then gradually move them over towards the VorTech.

Dejavu

SPS Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points, I've considered that as well, but a frag tank is not an option for me currently. I may need to start all my new SPS frags on the opposite side of the tank for a while, then gradually move them over towards the VorTech.

I have started new frag lower away for flow too. Easier to do when you run 400w's bulbs.

BigBoy69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 vortechs on my 120. I have around 75-80 chalice in there with some acans and a lot of SPS. I run them wide open and haven't had any issues with killing small frags of sps I just put them closer to the vortech.
In my opioion, I would change the mode every other day, they go to sleep at a certain time. I usually change my modes every day and a lot of times all 4 are running in different modes. When you put the vortechs into a pulse mode it really gets water to go everywhere, not that they don't already, but you can really see stuff "dance" in your tank.

2FarNorth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed it's alot easier to get the flow to the corals after switching to Vortechs......

I believe it's almost impossible to get flow to the bottoms of corals once everything grows in..... Total lack of light with blocked flow is pretty much a given in matured tanks. All the tanks that I've seen that are matured to the point that you can't even see rock, the bases of the corals are either bleached, or light, or even tissue less.....

Of course you usually can't see that when looking into these tanks, unless you break out a flashlight :smile:

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what model tunzes are you using?

you can make the same undertow as a vortech with a tunze--

Sure can, especially with a 6205. You can also turn the Streams down manually via the knob where you connect the controller cable. 6200/01/05's also have a wide gentle flow pattern.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back