SPS care via acro crabs

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added several acro crabs to my tank who have settled in nicely in my SPS colonies. I know we all try to employ natural techniques in our systems which is why I was curious to try acro crabs. My colonies are dense and even with flow I'm sure detritus gets stuck in the branches hidden from view so I thought these little acro cleaners would be a good natural husbandry tool to try.

Has anyone else used them successfully long term? Have they ever gone rogue on a coral? They seem very active among the branches.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only acro crabs I have ever had came in on wild caught colonies are maricultured pieces I bought back in the day. Some were really tidy and defended the coral from almost anything. Others would hide from things and not do much maintenance. I never seen them harm the the coral. They are fun to watch.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard of acro crabs, would love to see photos!
It's hard to see mine because they are very concealed in the branches. They are small maybe 3/4th inch nice bright reddish orange color with typical crab shape and claws.

I know Google shows them clearly.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only acro crabs I have ever had came in on wild caught colonies are maricultured pieces I bought back in the day. Some were really tidy and defended the coral from almost anything. Others would hide from things and not do much maintenance. I never seen them harm the the coral. They are fun to watch.
That's how I got my original one in the tank last year but never really saw him again after a period of time.

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THB I don’t know whether the emerald crab is eating the polys of the acros or cleaning, but either way the colony doesn’t show signs of distress.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added several acro crabs to my tank who have settled in nicely in my SPS colonies. I know we all try to employ natural techniques in our systems which is why I was curious to try acro crabs. My colonies are dense and even with flow I'm sure detritus gets stuck in the branches hidden from view so I thought these little acro cleaners would be a good natural husbandry tool to try.

Has anyone else used them successfully long term? Have they ever gone rogue on a coral? They seem very active among the branches.
where'd you get them from? I haven't found anywhere that seems to have them reliably... wanted to get a couple.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be really common with wild colonies.

They do a great job and are welcome in my tanks any time. They don't live too long, but they are cool while they are there... like 3 years in my case.

As for Emearald Crabs, I have never found them to be coral eaters if they are getting fed well. I have no doubt that they will eat corals if they are starving, but so would any one of us.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back