OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
beatutiful fish, what's the name of those anthias? And what's the care for them?
Scribbled Anthias. LFS told me to feed 2-3 times per day. Unfortunately it looks like 1 of the 3 may have had Uronema...so I am currently trying to figure out what to do :(

Bro what’s the way you keep your water so clean!? Really nice fish btw.
I had just cleaned the glass ;)

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Updates! We added another Scribbled Anthias to replace the one that was injured/potentially sick. Our other ones are much bigger than this new one but they are all active and eating. We also added a Sailfin Tang and a new Joker Torch. The Sailfin seems to diffuse the aggression between the Anthias. He's the peacekeeper :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

We've had the 2 larger Scribbled Anthias for 2 weeks now. We are feeding mostly Mysis, Mysis + Spirulina, and Brine + Spirulina 3 times a day (8 AM, 3 PM, and 7 PM). The tank is currently experiencing a small diatom bloom with this new feeding schedule but nothing terrible. It allowed for us to add the start of our cleanup crew: 2 Turbos, 10 Margaritas, 10 Dwarf Hermits, 1 Scarlet Hermit, and a Tiger Conch. The Tiger Conch is really interesting and doing a good job at sifting the sand.

The soda ash dosing setup seems to be working. Alkalinity is currently 8.5, and I'm dosing 1.1 ml every 2 hours.

FTS - Featuring the Algae Bloom (Nikon D7500)
DSC_9479-2.jpg

Sailfin Tang - I didn't realize how much they eat! (Nikon D7500)
DSC_9402.jpg

Cotton Candy Torch - We've had this one for 2 weeks now. (Google Pixel 6 Pro)
1674436800824.png

Joker Torch - This is the new one. It has a really cool neon color in the center. (Google Pixel 6 Pro)
1674437197542.png

Right Side Panel - Interesting shot I found on my phone from last week. (Google Pixel 6 Pro)
PXL_20230117_164932400-2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish Updates
The Sailfin and new Anthias are doing really well so far. The Anthias that seems to be the largest/most aggressive gives the other larger anthias more aggression than the new little one (maybe because they're closer in size?)

Walking the Plank
Since everyone is eating so much and we are feeding 3 frozen cubes per day, I looked into auto feeders to help supplement feedings throughout the day, and ended up deciding on the Avast Plank. I am going to test 2 options for running the plank:
  1. On the top of the tank with the provided circulation pump
  2. Add a powerhead to my return pump chamber and run the auto feeder there so the food is dispersed by the return lines and the auto feeder is hidden
Potential Issues
I am currently relying on the Kasa smart plugs for my BRS dosers, and I plan to try it with the Plank but it can only be toggled on/off in 1 minute increments. I did find a timer on Amazon that Avast recommends to set times down to the second.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Auto Feeder is working!

I have a mixing pump in my return chamber and Avast Marine's mixing pump in the pipe that turns on a few minutes before feeding and stays on for 2 hours after feeding.

Here is the current feeding schedule:
  • 8:30 AM - Manually feed cube of Mysis
  • 12:00 PM - Auto Feeder feeds "Reef Jerkey" for 1 minute using Kasa schedule
  • 3:30 PM - Auto Feeder feeds "Reef Jerkey" for 1 minute using Kasa schedule
  • 7:30 PM - Manually feed cube of Spirulina + Brine or Mysis
In order to get the Pipe and Avast's mixing pump to work in my sump, I had to extend the default pipe. It's just standard 2" PVC.

Here is what it initially looked like:
1675107915080.png

Here is what it currently looks like:
1675107899060.png

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Auto Feeder is working!

I have a mixing pump in my return chamber and Avast Marine's mixing pump in the pipe that turns on a few minutes before feeding and stays on for 2 hours after feeding.

Here is the current feeding schedule:
  • 8:30 AM - Manually feed cube of Mysis
  • 12:00 PM - Auto Feeder feeds "Reef Jerkey" for 1 minute using Kasa schedule
  • 3:30 PM - Auto Feeder feeds "Reef Jerkey" for 1 minute using Kasa schedule
  • 7:30 PM - Manually feed cube of Spirulina + Brine or Mysis
In order to get the Pipe and Avast's mixing pump to work in my sump, I had to extend the default pipe. It's just standard 2" PVC.

Here is what it initially looked like:
1675107915080.png

Here is what it currently looks like:
1675107899060.png
Wait so you put it into your return pump? Does that work?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! It shoots right into the return pump and any that doesn't make it gets in there eventually with the powerhead I added to the sump. I got the idea from here!
I take it you like ReefDudes then lol

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I take it you like ReefDudes then lol
He has helped me out twice so far with the idea for the auto feeder location and my light schedule :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Love it. Where are the shrimp to hang upside down!!!???
I am having second thoughts on the shrimp...I was thinking about going LPS heavy (really liking torches), and I remember cleaner shrimp like to rip food out of LPS mouths. I might have to change the tank name lol

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Big updates! My larger black storm clownfish became a nuisance to the other black storm. He was non-stop attacking, chasing, and preventing the other from eating. After the bully wasn't letting the other clown sleep, I decided to put the bully into an acclimation box for a week to see if his aggression would settle down. He went right back to being a bully after reintroducing him... luckily, my LFS said I could exchange him so I ended up exchanging him for a beautiful orange storm clownfish. The black storm and orange storm took a few days to bond but now they are inseparable and no aggression yet just normal clown twitching/weirdness for now.
PXL_20230217_205022711-2.jpg
PXL_20230223_220708862-2.jpg

I finally have some nitrates so my Zoas and Ricordea are taking off!

Since my other Scribbled Anthias were doing really well, I decided to pick 2 more up while I was at my LFS. They looked a little malnourished but they were active and eating. We've had them now for 2 weeks and they are already fattening up. I plan to stick with 5 Anthias. No male yet but 1 is still the most aggressive/fat/pretty :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

We also picked up a Golden Torch!
PXL_20230223_215839818-2.jpg
PXL_20230217_204927216-2.jpg

The diatom bloom cleared up practically overnight a week ago and the rocks are beginning to color up.
I also added some light shades to the XR-15s and anemone guards to the MP-40s.

Here's an updated FTS:
DSC_9588.jpg

I'm currently trying to figure out my actual salinity level after ordering Hanna Instruments new pH, Salinity, and temp monitor. It ended up reading drastically different than my old refractometer so I decided to grab a new refractometer, calibration fluid, glass high precision hydrometer, and plastic hydrometer to compare results. I posted a thread on which reading to trust because between the 4 instruments, I got 4 different readings. Here's the thread. I am leaning towards trusting the Glass High Precision Hydrometer and assuming the Hanna probe is 1 PPT off since that's within its accuracy limits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am contemplating doing something weird...I have a 40 gallon breeder + stand, and I am considering getting another and plumbing them into the main display and using them as display "fuges" with macroalgae and maybe some fish/inverts that are not considered reef-safe. The main purpose is to just add water volume and have something new to mess with :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Here is the plan I'm thinking of:
234.png

I would orient the 40 gallon breeders peninsula style and drill for overflow / return and paint the back panel black.
I have leftover Marco rock to aquascape with. Do y'all think this would be a bad idea or take away from the main tank / look ugly?

Last edited:

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am contemplating doing something weird...I have a 40 gallon breeder + stand, and I am considering getting another and plumbing them into the main display and using them as display "fuges" with macroalgae and maybe some fish/inverts that are not considered reef-safe. The main purpose is to just add water volume and have something new to mess with :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Here is the plan I'm thinking of:
234.png

I would orient the 40 gallon breeders peninsula style and drill for overflow / return and paint the back panel black.

I have leftover Marco rock to aquascape with. Do y'all think this would be a bad idea or take away from the main tank / look ugly?
I think that woukd be such a cool project! Obviously done right. I don’t think it would ugly. I mean I haven’t seen it lol all complete but don’t think it will. I may try that now lol. Something you can do is plant mangroves in the side tanks.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big updates! My larger black storm clownfish became a nuisance to the other black storm. He was non-stop attacking, chasing, and preventing the other from eating. After the bully wasn't letting the other clown sleep, I decided to put the bully into an acclimation box for a week to see if his aggression would settle down. He went right back to being a bully after reintroducing him... luckily, my LFS said I could exchange him so I ended up exchanging him for a beautiful orange storm clownfish. The black storm and orange storm took a few days to bond but now they are inseparable and no aggression yet just normal clown twitching/weirdness for now.
PXL_20230217_205022711-2.jpg
PXL_20230223_220708862-2.jpg

I finally have some nitrates so my Zoas and Ricordea are taking off!

Since my other Scribbled Anthias were doing really well, I decided to pick 2 more up while I was at my LFS. They looked a little malnourished but they were active and eating. We've had them now for 2 weeks and they are already fattening up. I plan to stick with 5 Anthias. No male yet but 1 is still the most aggressive/fat/pretty :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

We also picked up a Golden Torch!
PXL_20230223_215839818-2.jpg
PXL_20230217_204927216-2.jpg

The diatom bloom cleared up practically overnight a week ago and the rocks are beginning to color up.
I also added some light shades to the XR-15s and anemone guards to the MP-40s.

Here's an updated FTS:
DSC_9588.jpg

I'm currently trying to figure out my actual salinity level after ordering Hanna Instruments new pH, Salinity, and temp monitor. It ended up reading drastically different than my old refractometer so I decided to grab a new refractometer, calibration fluid, glass high precision hydrometer, and plastic hydrometer to compare results. I posted a thread on which reading to trust because between the 4 instruments, I got 4 different readings. Here's the thread. I am leaning towards trusting the Glass High Precision Hydrometer and assuming the Hanna probe is 1 PPT off since that's within its accuracy limits.
Nice looking clowns!!

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that woukd be such a cool project! Obviously done right. I don’t think it would ugly. I mean I haven’t seen it lol all complete but don’t think it will. I may try that now lol. Something you can do is plant mangroves in the side tanks.
I really like the mangrove idea!! I only have the 1 40 gallon right now, but I did a crappy photoshop of what I think it could look like with 2 tanks, lights, and black backgrounds lol
ssssss.png

Nice looking clowns!!
Thank you!!

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the idea. So I'll help you brainstorm some inhabitants :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

-Seahorses, mandarins, and pipefish with gorgonians and macro
-definitely mangroves!
-pair of clowns
-frogfish
-pair of breeding bangaii
-firefish, shrimp goby pair

Hope you do this! Tank looks great!

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the idea. So I'll help you brainstorm some inhabitants :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

-Seahorses, mandarins, and pipefish with gorgonians and macro
-definitely mangroves!
-pair of clowns
-frogfish
-pair of breeding bangaii
-firefish, shrimp goby pair

Hope you do this! Tank looks great!
I like all of those especially the gorgonians + macros + seahorses. I need to find something that can benefit from my return line being fed 2x a day.

I am wondering if I can repurpose the Waterbox 180.5's return manifold. I ordered some plumbing to see if I can get the barbs to 1/2" instead of the tiny nozzle, but I am unsure if this will provide enough flow to the 40 gallons. I am only using the Vectra M2 at about 30% right now. Does anyone know if this would work? :face-with-raised-eyebrow:

Here is what I'm thinking about doing for the return/overflow lines in my sump.
ttt.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back