The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

As a pelagic zooplankton feeder, no.

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

I totally misread the question.

Pretty much all inverts will be safe from a flasher.

3. Ds04384

Ds04384 Well-Known Member

Ok perfect. That's what I thought I was just wanting to confirm

4. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks. I appreciate all the help and advice you and @eatbreakfast and some others have been providing in this thread.

evolved and eatbreakfast like this.
  5. UffnerReef

UffnerReef Member

Good morning everyone. I woke up to sadness this morning- my orange back passed away. Looking for any feedback if I did something wrong to cause this.

On Wednesday I set up my 10 gal QT again:
    - HOB filter with (unseeded) small sponge
    - heater
    - thermometer
    - power head
    - small container of sand and small rock from my DT- I was afraid of lack of biological filtration and was going to take these items out if I treated with anything
    - two PVC pipes
    - added Seachem Stability
    - used fresh salt water to match SG and temp of DT

Thursday: he looked bright and alert (when he came out for feeding- otherwise always hiding) in the DT but something was still not right with him (per my last threads). I also did notice a small white spot- didn't look like ich, but I don't know why I say that. For some reason I didn't just think "ich" immediately. He came up for feeding immediately like normal. I caught him during feeding (no problems and best low stress catch I've ever had). I acclimated him to the QT and put him in. Added more Stability.

He looked terrible from the second he went in the QT. Was blown in the current, breathing hard, tail clamped. I knew he was most likely not going to make it. I covered the QT with a towel to try to minimize the stress. This morning he was dead.

I am really sad about this as I would never want to cause harm to any animal, but if you could give me your feedback so I don't make the same mistake twice, that would really be appreciated.

Side note, I have no clue how I am going to catch the adornatus :-/ Also, do you always treat every new fish with prazi and metro? Can you use them together at the same time, or use as separate treatments?

6. becks

becks Well-Known Member

Is it normal for wrasse to eat nori? My Halichoeres cosmetus wrasse was watching my coral beauty picking at the nori sheet and must have thought....I'm having some of that, he hovered around the clip for a bit watching my CB fill he boots and then started taking chunks and eating the nori, now my Halichoeres chyrsus spotted my cosmetus wrasse eating the nori and he too is starting to investigate..... my tank is well fed with 2 sometimes 3 feedings a day

7. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

All of my Halichoeres wrasses eat nori except for my H.chrysus. In fact all of my wrasses will eat it. The only fish I have that won't eat it is my Copperband Butterfly.

Perfectly normal IMO.

eatbreakfast likes this.
  8. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

How are Macropharyngodon ornatus wrasses considered as far as being integrated into a group of other macropharyngodon wrasses?

9. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

I find that they are better suited to being added to a group later. They can be aggressive toward new leopards.

10. cnseekatz

cnseekatz Well-Known Member

I've only ever gotten my hands on one, and added her to a tank with a bipartitus (f) and a geoffroy (f), and she was bullied pretty hard by the (slightly larger) Potter's.

11. cnseekatz

cnseekatz Well-Known Member

Any have a good source for rare leopard wrasses? I'm looking for chaoti and kuteri specifically. Thanks!

12. JTreef

JTreef Well-Known Member

Pacific island aquatics may. He posted a list of new stock a week or so ago

13. eatbreakfast

LA has had kuiteri the last few weeks.

14. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Yes, you can use them at the same time; API's General Cure is a prazi/metro mix.
    Using such is always a part of my QT process, and many other aquarists do the same.

mfinn and Maritimer like this.
  15. mfinn

Is the prazi in API's General Cure as effective as just using straight PraziPro?
    Do you get the same amount of meds. Following directions of course.

16. evolved

Following directions, General cure is just a touch weaker.
    2 mg/L with General Cure
    2.5 mg/L with PraziPro

Maritimer likes this.
  17. dragon99

dragon99 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Does this picture make my wrasse look fat?
    DSC_1555.jpg

18. saltyhog

saltyhog Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Why yes, yes it does!

I miss my H. chrysus. I gave him to a friend when I moved.

redsea01 likes this.
  19. redsea01

redsea01 Well-Known Member

Haha, I LOVE! What a cutie! A fat fish is a happy fish! At least that's what I say! lol

diablomaster9045 likes this.
  20. indyjaco

indyjaco Well-Known Member

I have a 4' 120G with a Lubbocks & Angular Flasher. Any other reasonably priced reef friend wrasses wrasse recommendations?

Maritimer likes this.