The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Breakin Newz, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Howieumd

Howieumd Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

IMG_0544.JPG IMG_0542.JPG

2. UffnerReef

UffnerReef Member

I will try to get the orange back out and treat with prazi and metro. If it is a spinal injury, is that something they can recover from over time in a QT by themselves? In the meantime, I will see if I can get the adornatus out... I'd really like to have more wrasses and don't want this to be an issue.

You're totally right about common names, which I think unfortunately was part of my downfall when purchasing the adornatus... then I read your reef safe wrasse post and thought "uh-oh."

I really appreciate everyone's help!

3. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Partner Member Article Contributor

Maybe, maybe not. That's the thing with spinal injuries - sometimes they heal fine, other times they don't.

Paul87 likes this.
  4. Paul87

Paul87 Fellow Reefer

+1 on the Midas blenny. The one I tried was a major bully. My wrasses were terrified of him, as they should have been. He would land some brutal bites. He is no longer with me.

I lost my C. lineatus from a spinal injury. Not sure how he got it (I never witnessed bullying) but he passed that night. Here he was the day I noticed it. It was a sad day.

5. UffnerReef

UffnerReef Member

Sorry you lost him- beautiful fish :-/ That is how my orange back is currently swimming.

Paul87 likes this.
  6. Paul87

Paul87 Fellow Reefer

Yea, they are such a beautiful fish. I wouldn't ever try another unless I upgrade to a larger tank though. I'm not sure what can be done in terms of "fixing" a spinal injury in a fish. Possibly turn down the flow in the tank? Hope you're orange back is able to pull through if it is a spinal injury.

7. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Partner Member

I added my 2 female bipartitus wrasses to my display tank after 1-1/2 days in a acclimation box.
    The 2 resident female meleagris didn't hardly even notice them. A couple times they swam by the box with the other 2 inside, but didn't react at all.
    So I opened the doors on the acclimation box and it took a half day or so for the bipartitus wrasses to venture out. The other wrasses saw them out. Still no reaction.
    I left the box inside the display tank and the bipartitus wrasses went back inside to sleep in the sand box the first night

So I figured everything was good.
    But today I only saw the smaller of the 2 bipartitus after the lights came on. ( saw them both early this morning when the tank was dark).
    And there were some issues.

The 2 meleagris always seemed to hang near the right side of the tank.
    So when I opened the doors on the acclimation box I slid it to the left side, thinking they would find the rock pile to the left as unoccupied territory ( no wrasses) to claim.
    And that seemed to work.
    But today the smaller bipartitus just had to keep going to the other end of the tank.
    The larger meleagris would have no part of it. It would really go after the smaller wrasse, but would stop about half way down the tank.
    Once in a while the larger meleagris would make a tour through the left side of the tank, but always returned to the other end.
    It must have happened a dozen times or more that I saw.
    I hope the bipartitus learns where her territory is, soon.
    As far as the bigger bipartitus, I don't know.
    Plus I'll be glad when they get on the tanks schedule ( didn't learn the schedule in quarantine).
    They have stuck to their own schedule. Up at 6:30-7am and in the sand by 2-2:30pm everyday.
    I hate having to feed early to make sure the bipartitus

8. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

If you feed close to the time the bipartitus go to bed, I've found this helps 'extend' the time they stay up.

Paul87 and mfinn like this.
  9. mfinn

Yeah, I just have make a plan to be home and visible.
    I think when they see me around the tank, they think there's a chance food will appear.

Also, will the aggressive female meleagris be that way with a female geoffroyi?

10. Mike_J

Mike_J Well-Known Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member Partner Member

Who keeps cirrhilabrus roseafascia? I'm in love with this fish and am thinking about adding one to my wrasse collection. My current inhabitants include Cirrhilabrus lineatus, Cirrhilarbrus isosceles, Cirrhilabrus lunatus, Cirrhilabrus earlei, and a magma wrasse. I know the temperament of this fish but want opinions from real world reefers that keep it within their reef community. Anyone?

11. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Partner Member Article Contributor

Probably, if not more so I'm afraid. Meleagris and geoffroy are closer related than meleagris and bipartitus.
    I wouldn't do it; way too many horror stories with that species being a complete terror.
    Some specimens are not bad and pretty mild, but it would not be worth the gamble for me.

12. Mike_J

Mike_J Well-Known Member R2R Supporter CTARS Member Partner Member

Thanks, I figured you'd say that. ;)

evolved likes this.
  13. mfinn

That's disappointing.

If the meleagris turns male, does that change anything in regards to a female geoffroy being added?

14. evolved

It could change things, yes; but better or worse is the unknown question...

mfinn likes this.
  15. mfinn

Ok thanks.
    I am very happy that the current 2 meleagris are getting along. The larger female does show the smaller one who is boss every once in a while, but it's pretty mellow.
    Hopefully the issues with the bipartitus works out.

One more Macropharyngodon I've had my eye on is the kuiteri.
    LA has had a large in for a while now, but I would want a smaller one.
    Any chance it would be able to stand up to a meleagris?

I also have been thinking maybe a small male Halichoeres chrysotaenia or even a small female melanurus.

16. evolved

Being the most aggressive species (kuiteri) in the genus, you'd have the best chance.
    Give it a bit of time though, and I bet you find your problematic meleagris lets up on the bipartitus.
    And the meleagris probably won't even give a second look.

mfinn likes this.
  17. Ds04384

Ds04384 Well-Known Member

What kind of inverts are not compatable with flasher wrasses?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  18. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor

Just about all of them.

19. evolved

You missed the "not" in his question. ;)

The only inverts that would present a problem with a flasher would be any invert which could eat the flasher.

townjas and Paul87 like this.
  20. Ds04384

Ds04384 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the other way around. Do they mess with anything?