The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Paul87

Fellow Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you get credited, took me 9 potters to get one to take, I feel embarrassed and bad admitting it. Ime the medium size do the best, all the tiny ones parish due to stress and ended up swimming funny in qt. The larger ones hid on me and even though 2/3 died of the mediums, they seemed to make it longer.
+1
I've witnessed plenty come in dead at my buddies store. A few of them where ordered for me. Possibly my favorite leopard, such a beautiful fish. I'd have to say they are the worst shippers that I'm familiar with.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4831.JPG

Out of quarantine into the acclamation box

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did make a screen top to hold me over until the one from artfully acrylic shows up.
I was just getting depressed about ordering 3 potters wrasses and having them all die before 24 hours.
I suppose part of my anguish is partly from ordering in live foods ( Tigger pods) to have on hand to help get them eating in my system.
Each shipment of tigger pods is another $63 for 2 bottles, on top of a $70 fish.

We have some stores in your area that sell Tigger-Pods; it would be a lot cheaper than buying from us direct. You can go to our store locator and see who's nearby: http://reefnutrition.com/store-locator/

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We have some stores in your area that sell Tigger-Pods; it would be a lot cheaper than buying from us direct. You can go to our store locator and see who's nearby: http://reefnutrition.com/store-locator/
Yes, there are a couple.
The only one I can depend on to have fresh Tigger Pods. is Barrier Reef in Renton which is a 3 hour, 120 mile round trip drive.
So the shipping cost is a push vs. gas money. But the time I save is also a issue.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there are a couple.
The only one I can depend on to have fresh Tigger Pods. is Barrier Reef in Renton which is a 3 hour, 120 mile round trip drive.
So the shipping cost is a push vs. gas money. But the time I save is also a issue.

Bummer. Are there any good stores near you that don't carry Tigger-Pods, but might be open to it. I can always call some stores in your area and get them set up with our products. I make it sound simple, which it's not, but I will do anything to make our products more affordable; the shipping costs are really crumby.

Chad

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bummer. Are there any good stores near you that don't carry Tigger-Pods, but might be open to it. I can always call some stores in your area and get them set up with our products. I make it sound simple, which it's not, but I will do anything to make our products more affordable; the shipping costs are really crumby.

Chad
You've already got the one I go to.

pizzaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to read up but its overwhelming. Im moving into my new 270 miracles tank in a few months. Currently i have two malanarus and one yellow coris wrasse. Would like to add some more wrasse but not really sure whats compatible. Just looking for some options from some of the more experienced wrasse keepers. Not looking for ultra rare just different color variations to add to the tank. Yes tight fitting screen, full blown mixed reef, and a good mixture of other fish. Everything is moving from my 200 dd into the 270.
Any advice or options are greatly appreciated

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've probably got an options overload headed your way . . . and you'll want to use a social acclimation box, in case the resident wrasses take exception, but I should that most fairy wrasses (in a dazzling array of colors) and just about any flasher wrasse (mostly reds & oranges, but with finnage from another planet - and when they "flash" the colors can go straight over the top!) would be able to get along. Those guys will spend a decent amount of time well above the rockwork, prowling for plankton. There are a few fairies that can be kind of aggressive, such as the Scott's and Blackfin, but most are varying degrees of peaceful. I'm currently keeping an orange-back, Solorensis and Bali exquisite, along with Carpenter's and linespot flashers.

If you're up for a bit more acclimation challenge, a leopard wrasse - or even a trio, which seems to work much better than it does for flashers or fairies - might tickle your fancy. I happen to like the blue-star leopards, Macropharyngodon bipartitus.

There are also a few other Halichoeres wrasses that I think are pretty fun to look at, including the radiant - deep wine-red, with a yellow/green head and pale dorsal.

Always more to explore!

~Bruce

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above! I'd also recommend looking at H. melasmopomas and H. chrysotaenia. The ear muffin is really a uniquely colored wrasse and the Vrolik's is an unbelievably colorful blue.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to read up but its overwhelming. Im moving into my new 270 miracles tank in a few months. Currently i have two malanarus and one yellow coris wrasse. Would like to add some more wrasse but not really sure whats compatible. Just looking for some options from some of the more experienced wrasse keepers. Not looking for ultra rare just different color variations to add to the tank. Yes tight fitting screen, full blown mixed reef, and a good mixture of other fish. Everything is moving from my 200 dd into the 270.
Any advice or options are greatly appreciated
Maybe this sticky will help? (If you haven't yet seen it)
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
You've probably got an options overload headed your way . . . and you'll want to use a social acclimation box, in case the resident wrasses take exception, but I should that most fairy wrasses (in a dazzling array of colors) and just about any flasher wrasse (mostly reds & oranges, but with finnage from another planet - and when they "flash" the colors can go straight over the top!) would be able to get along. Those guys will spend a decent amount of time well above the rockwork, prowling for plankton. There are a few fairies that can be kind of aggressive, such as the Scott's and Blackfin, but most are varying degrees of peaceful. I'm currently keeping an orange-back, Solorensis and Bali exquisite, along with Carpenter's and linespot flashers.

If you're up for a bit more acclimation challenge, a leopard wrasse - or even a trio, which seems to work much better than it does for flashers or fairies - might tickle your fancy. I happen to like the blue-star leopards, Macropharyngodon bipartitus.

There are also a few other Halichoeres wrasses that I think are pretty fun to look at, including the radiant - deep wine-red, with a yellow/green head and pale dorsal.

Always more to explore!

~Bruce
Yup, I concur; all good suggestions.
The ear muffin
LOLOLOLOL
(best auto-correct I've seen all week - thank you! :))
[That's "Earmuff", for those who are lost at this point]

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOLOLOLOL
(best auto-correct I've seen all week - thank you! :))
[That's "Earmuff", for those who are lost at this point]

Oh my, I was on my phone and didn't catch that! Gotta love auto correct. I think I'll just leave it unedited for the laugh!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back