The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a little problem with my Ear Muff wrasse in QT. I've had him for 3 weeks and he still is on the same time schedule as my tanks. He goes to bed around 5:30-6:30 and many days I don't get home from work in time to feed him. When I do he eats well but is still a little shy. Usually my wrasses are rushing to the front of the tank to greet me by this time but this one, while getting more comfortable is still rather shy.

Anything I can do to get him on my time schedule or do I just have to wait it out. He looks good and hasn't lost any weight. I've held off treating him with Prazi because he doesn't get to eat every day.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a little problem with my Ear Muff wrasse in QT. I've had him for 3 weeks and he still is on the same time schedule as my tanks. He goes to bed around 5:30-6:30 and many days I don't get home from work in time to feed him. When I do he eats well but is still a little shy. Usually my wrasses are rushing to the front of the tank to greet me by this time but this one, while getting more comfortable is still rather shy.

Anything I can do to get him on my time schedule or do I just have to wait it out. He looks good and hasn't lost any weight. I've held off treating him with Prazi because he doesn't get to eat every day.
What has worked for me is trying to feed as close to the time he buries as possible. This seems to extend the time out of the sand by about 15 minutes.

The other thing is putting it in a social acclimation box for about 3 days without sand. This gets them used to light schedule in a hurry.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I read an interesting article about these wrasse and the difficulty acclimating them to our day night schedule due to the fact that where they are collected from is on an opposite day/night schedule. The article detailed techniques for leaving them in a social acclimation box for the first three days with no sand and no rock, with your light schedule so that they were forced to stay awake during our "day". While this seems extreme, it is being used on them to increase survival rate drastically in these species.
I had a little bipartitus that was always awake when I got up at 5 am in the dark and asleep by 3 pm. He was eating so I left him in QT with sand and he eventually started getting up earlier and earlier each day. I just had food thawed each morning to feed him right when I got up. He ate fine in the dark.
I have noticed that new additions to QT (wrasse) take a while to get brave enough to stay out of the sand all day. keep us updated on how she does.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I was actually considering that. When I first started in the hobby I quarantined a Vrolik's wrasse and a Yellow Coris (cringe...H. chrysus) in this same QT tank for 8 weeks without sand. I didn't know any better at the time. They did fine and are still in the care of friends that I gave them to when I moved.

This tank doesn't have sand, just a Tupperware bowl with sand in it. She/He? stayed up till a little after 8 pm last night so maybe the acclimation is proceding faster now. If bedtime keeps being too early I may just remove the sand bowl for 3 days like you suggested.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What has worked for me is trying to feed as close to the time he buries as possible. This seems to extend the time out of the sand by about 15 minutes.
I've done the same in the past, and it tends to work well.
Yellow Coris (cringe...H. chrysus)
Just call it a Canary wrasse or a Yellow wrasse. If everyone starting doing it... :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I used to be a liveaquaria fan ( customer ), but that is going to change.
This morning I received a package with a dead potters wrasse in it.
This is the 3rd time. None of the previous 2 Potters Wrasses I ordered lasted 24 hours.
What good is the 14 day warranty if they keep sending dead fish?
I am really disgusted.

I know several people listed their favorite places to get wrasses from but I can't find that series of posts.
So where can I get a Potters Wrasse that has a decent chance to survive?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 3rd time. None of the previous 2 Potters Wrasses I ordered lasted 24 hours.
I am really disgusted.

I know several people listed their favorite places to get wrasses from but I can't find that series of posts.
Not to defend or accuse them in any way, but the species itself is a tricky species and is known to ship poorly.
Couple that with your currently cold weather locally, and that may not bode well.

Regardless of where/whom you try from again, I would suggest waiting until spring and warmer temps to do such.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really disgusted.

I'm with Hunter on this. Potter's have a lot working against due to their delicate nature coupled with how poorly suited they are to be shipped.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not to defend or accuse them in any way, but the species itself is a tricky species and is known to ship poorly.
Couple that with your currently cold weather locally, and that may not bode well.

Regardless of where/whom you try from again, I would suggest waiting until spring and warmer temps to do such.

I timed the order this week mainly because of actually higher temps.
All week so far has been in the mid 50's to upper 50's and pretty mid night temps too. ( although last night was about normal. )
The wrasse was packed about as well as you could expect.
Heat pack was still pretty warm.
Water in the bag was 68-69 degrees.

I suppose my negative attitude earlier was fueled by seeing another dead wrasse.

Kaysneezye

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this one on Sunday love the bright red and yellow stripe.
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really disgusted.

Did you get a screen top cause if not you are really going to hate live aquaria?

I got three from them last january (2016) and one died day two, the other after a week and the final one was munching on reef frenzy this am before work...

All the vendors get them more or less from the same collectors, or vendors, potters are hard to keep, i had much better luck introducing them into the main display than the QT, I think potters are sensitive to some water parameter in a way other wrasses/fish are not. Maybe its PH or alk, purely speculation...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did you get a screen top cause if not you are really going to hate live aquaria?

I got three from them last january (2016) and one died day two, the other after a week and the final one was munching on reef frenzy this am before work...

All the vendors get them more or less from the same collectors, or vendors, potters are hard to keep, i had much better luck introducing them into the main display than the QT, I think potters are sensitive to some water parameter in a way other wrasses/fish are not. Maybe its PH or alk, purely speculation...
I did make a screen top to hold me over until the one from artfully acrylic shows up.
I was just getting depressed about ordering 3 potters wrasses and having them all die before 24 hours.
I suppose part of my anguish is partly from ordering in live foods ( Tigger pods) to have on hand to help get them eating in my system.
Each shipment of tigger pods is another $63 for 2 bottles, on top of a $70 fish.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least you get credited, took me 9 potters to get one to take, I feel embarrassed and bad admitting it. Ime the medium size do the best, all the tiny ones parish due to stress and ended up swimming funny in qt. The larger ones hid on me and even though 2/3 died of the mediums, they seemed to make it longer.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
At least you get credited, took me 9 potters to get one to take, I feel embarrassed and bad admitting it. Ime the medium size do the best, all the tiny ones parish due to stress and ended up swimming funny in qt. The larger ones hid on me and even though 2/3 died of the mediums, they seemed to make it longer.
After the second replacement they refused to reship. I did get credit for another potters, but I had to pay for shipping.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back