The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these two guys today from NY Aquatics. P. attenuatus and C. isoscoles. They were eating within an hour of introduction.

The attenuatus was bought as a subadult. Is it wishful thinking or does it look like it's starting to transition to male?

Definitely transitioning.

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get a better pic one day. Ha.
06CC65E4-3EE7-4A3F-87D0-F3231B861FAF.jpeg

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first Macropharyngodon meleagris. I have left him with the LFS until he is eating well. I have a Halichoeres melanurus,
Halichoeres chrysus, Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura and a Paracheilinus carpenteri. I have read 2 different articles on the acclimation of the leopard wrasse. One says to do everything by the book of QT with a sand bed and the other is pretty much the same except the one I read last night said NOT to QT them. It was more important to purchase a healthy specimen and get them into the DT as soon as possible for the least amount of stress. First I've heard this. Thoughts? That idea seems a bit crazy but he is in QT at the LFS and eating mysis already. Also, do you think he will be ok as last fish in? All of the wrasse I currently have seem to be pretty mellow. The 4" yellow and 3" Mel seem to get aggressive over who gets the most food but that's it as far as aggression goes. I have an observation box that I can put a tupperware dish of sand in.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first Macropharyngodon meleagris. I have left him with the LFS until he is eating well. I have a Halichoeres melanurus,
Halichoeres chrysus, Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura and a Paracheilinus carpenteri. I have read 2 different articles on the acclimation of the leopard wrasse. One says to do everything by the book of QT with a sand bed and the other is pretty much the same except the one I read last night said NOT to QT them. It was more important to purchase a healthy specimen and get them into the DT as soon as possible for the least amount of stress. First I've heard this. Thoughts? Also, do you think he will be ok as last fish in? All of the wrasse I currently have seem to be pretty mellow. The 4" yellow and 3" Mel seem to get aggressive over who gets the most food but that's it as far as aggression goes.
Just my own 2 cents here, but anytime I find a resource that advocates NO QT causes me to discount the entirety of said resource.
Risking all your livestock for the possibility of "better" success for a new addition makes zero sense to me.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not advocating this method I AM using QT but just for the sake of discussion.....this is the article. Scroll down to health paragraph.http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/leopards-for-the-reef-full-article.htm

I would strongly disagree with that paragraph. A properly sized and set up QT should be much less stressful to a fish. Which is worse, being thrown in to a community of established competitors as you acclimate to captive life or having your own no competition home to get used to captivity? Then there is the other reason which Hunter voiced above. Makes no sense to threaten your entire tank for the sake of one new addition.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would swimming at the water line more often than usual, be a result of being an aggression target? My exquisite, previously bossy to the isoceles, is now pretty much reversed roles with the isoceles and for the last week or so has been predominantly at the top of the tank. Feeding / swimming / "sleeping" all seem completely normal, this is the only aberrant behaviour I've seen out of it in months.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would swimming at the water line more often than usual, be a result of being an aggression target? My exquisite, previously bossy to the isoceles, is now pretty much reversed roles with the isoceles and for the last week or so has been predominantly at the top of the tank. Feeding / swimming / "sleeping" all seem completely normal, this is the only aberrant behaviour I've seen out of it in months.
Yes, it could be.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks as always. Going to keep an eye on it, might put the exquisite in the DT before the isoceles if that's the case, they're just about done with QT together in a 20L.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly disagree with that paragraph. A properly sized and set up QT should be much less stressful to a fish. Which is worse, being thrown in to a community of established competitors as you acclimate to captive life or having your own no competition home to get used to captivity? Then there is the other reason which Hunter voiced above. Makes no sense to threaten your entire tank for the sake of one new addition.
I might add, that new addition might bring with it the magical friend called marine velvet. You don't want this friend showing up to your house, the aftermath isn't pretty.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might add, that new addition might bring with it the magical friend called marine velvet. You don't want this friend showing up to your house, the aftermath isn't pretty.
I mean, if Jonestown is your thing...
Who I am to judge? ;Hilarious

JFT267

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,
I have just gotten a yellow coris wrasse and have had it for a few days. I know that it buries itself in the sand and it has come out. The first day it did, it ate fine. I altered my lighting schedule since i dont have any coral right now so that the lights only come on at night. He only comes out for an hour or so and then dissappears again without me having fed him. It has been a few days like this. Wondering if it its still getting acclimated...because i cannot be around all day waiting for him to come out. Thoughts ?

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to find much on Royal pencil wrasse. Other than they are hard to keep.

Anyone keeping them? What are their needs to keep?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back