The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick clip from tonight of the wrasse clan.

What is the beautiful "gem" wrasse with the bright yellow tail?
94d1620f90f534883329ecc32cb00ea2.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to find much on Royal pencil wrasse. Other than they are hard to keep.

Anyone keeping them? What are their needs to keep?
Pseudojuloides are just a bit more sensitive than some other genera of wrasses. They're kinda like a leopard in the sense that once you get them adjusted to captivity, it's smooth and easy sailing.

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudojuloides are just a bit more sensitive than some other genera of wrasses. They're kinda like a leopard in the sense that once you get them adjusted to captivity, it's smooth and easy sailing.

The place I would be buying from imports directly from overseas. But he does hold and do a light at at his place for 2 week.

I would of course do my own qt. But if its eating and doing well at his place, should the wrasse most likely be good to go?

Last question I cant seem to find pricing on nice terminal males, what are they going for?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place I would be buying from imports directly from overseas. But he does hold and do a light at at his place for 2 week.

I would of course do my own qt. But if its eating and doing well at his place, should the wrasse most likely be good to go?

Last question I cant seem to find pricing on nice terminal males, what are they going for?
Yeah, that sounds like good odds of success.
Price is usually 80-100 USD.
Also are they going to bother any clean up crew?
Not at all.

ascheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any experience with Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus?

What is their temperament like with others in the genus? Would a young female cause (or be on the receiving end) any problems with a young female M. negrosensis or an adult pair of H. lapillus, who all get along great at the moment in a 5ft tank

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!

Just Googled. Lol, 4" sandbed, 8" long, moves rock, 100 gallons.

Please take lots of video!

Beautiful fish we probably will never be able to provide a good home for. :)

I currently have one and was pretty easy to acclimate taking PE mysis on the first day.
23ab36543bf6fe05310c37c0f7231157.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any experience with Macropharyngodon cyanoguttatus?

What is their temperament like with others in the genus? Would a young female cause (or be on the receiving end) any problems with a young female M. negrosensis or an adult pair of H. lapillus, who all get along great at the moment in a 5ft tank
I haven't kept them, but relation wise they're close to ornatus, so the temperament should be similar. Should be okay with negrosensis and lapillus.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful!

Just Googled. Lol, 4" sandbed, 8" long, moves rock, 100 gallons.

Please take lots of video!

Beautiful fish we probably will never be able to provide a good home for. :)
I have one too! Was eating Larry's Fish Frenzy and PE Mysis from the start! Cool fish and gets along well with all my other fish and wrasses, including another anampses wrasse. I think all the variety and better quality of foods today help with the picky eaters.

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any species of wrasse that will provide pest control for my sps and do well in a bare bottom tank?
Might look into dragonetes or dragon faced pipefish. Also, some people but acrylic boxes or Tupperware filled with sand in a corner of the tank and have had success with the wrasses taking refuge in there.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any species of wrasse that will provide pest control for my sps and do well in a bare bottom tank?
What size tank? What other fish and livestock?

Sixlines are great at pest control, but do get pretty mean.

In smaller tanks Wetmorella and pink streak wrasses can work.

Smaller Halichoeres wrasses, such as the yellow coris, are great at pest control, but do need sand. It is possible to leave the tank barebottom and just provide a small bowl or other container of sand.

Springeri damsels will eat some coral pests and are pretty well-behaved for damsels.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back