The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

cody hendrix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One have trouble mixing fairy wrasse and flashers? Then mixing a Diamond tail flasher and filament flasher?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One have trouble mixing fairy wrasse and flashers? Then mixing a Diamond tail flasher and filament flasher?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question but you can mix fairy and flasher wrasses. Which ones and how many depend on lots of things but size of tank is probably the most important. P. attenuatus and P. filamentosus can be housed together in an adequate size tank.

My larger fairy wrasses will largely ignore my flasher wrasses but interestingly I did have a very large P. flavianalis chase a small C. jordani for a while. Nothing serious but it was unexpected.

DrOfWelshMagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to find out... I have a Carpenters and a Pink Margin almost ready to go in with a cleaner, an exquisite and a blue sided fairy

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reading materials for you: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/author/evolved.14447/
:)
But in general, mixing the two genera is fine.
Anyone know where to get a Surge Wrasse?
Which species do you have in mind? One gets huge and not reef safe (Thalassoma purpureum), the other is basically impossible to keep alive in captivity (Stethojulis balteata).

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I've had this H. timorensis for close to a year now. She's definitely grown, has developed the "typical" Halichoeres red/green striping on the gave and jaw, developed black speckles on her body, and now, has red that's emerged at the point her pectoral fins attach to her body. For kicks here...what's a developed male look like?
098115c886a842e1a940d38d254ff22f.jpg
b61d5de4bc0102e3a822fa82cecea11b.jpg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I've had this H. timorensis for close to a year now. She's definitely grown, has developed the "typical" Halichoeres red/green striping on the gave and jaw, developed black speckles on her body, and now, has red that's emerged at the point her pectoral fins attach to her body. For kicks here...what's a developed male look like?
098115c886a842e1a940d38d254ff22f.jpg
b61d5de4bc0102e3a822fa82cecea11b.jpg
Completely different:
35431322851_4eb22fed7c_o.jpg

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...guess we'll see if the occasional attention from the H. melanurus develops into full-on harassment, should she make the change. It's a 300 gallon system, but I have heard the dynamics often change when the estro/testo balance shifts.

DrOfWelshMagic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific way to tell a Male/female Cyanopleura from a male/female cf Solorensis. It may even be a juvenile further complicating matters however, I've tried on my own to positively id it and with the help of my lfs (inc his supplier who I spoke to on the phone) who said it is a Male cf Solorensis juvenile... but I just cant tell the difference. Any help would be appreciated immensely as this has been driving me insane... looking at pictures, reading descriptions, looking at my specimen to compare and repeat and repeat...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a specific way to tell a Male/female Cyanopleura from a male/female cf Solorensis. It may even be a juvenile further complicating matters however, I've tried on my own to positively id it and with the help of my lfs (inc his supplier who I spoke to on the phone) who said it is a Male cf Solorensis juvenile... but I just cant tell the difference. Any help would be appreciated immensely as this has been driving me insane... looking at pictures, reading descriptions, looking at my specimen to compare and repeat and repeat...
Put a picture in this thread and we'll tell you: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/let-me-id-your-wrasse.97755/
Otherwise you can dive into the pictures here: https://reefbuilders.com/2015/06/22/fairy-wrasses-cyanopleura-group/

James Martz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which species do you have in mind? One gets huge and not reef safe (Thalassoma purpureum), the other is basically impossible to keep alive in captivity (Stethojulis balteata).

Looking for a Thalassoma Purpureum. My Red Coris already took care of my CUC.

Size should not be an issue. DT is 120”x30”x24”.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a Thalassoma Purpureum. My Red Coris already took care of my CUC.

Size should not be an issue. DT is 120”x30”x24”.
Gotcha - you know what you're up against then. :) Still potentially a bit big when fully mature for the tank dimensions though - species reaches 18".
I haven't seen one for sale in a real long time I'm afraid. The HI collection issues don't help.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what the compatibility of the yellowtail and redtail tamarins is? I've had a yellowtail (not fully grown yet) in my 150g (4x2x2) display for several months now doing well. Could I introduce a redtail or will that not go over well with the yellowtail?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Serial pictures of my Red Sea Eightline Flasher wrasse over the last year. He grew quite a bit. Even without the ruler, observe the ratio of the eye diameter to the rest of the head. I guess the eyes does not grow anywhere near the rate of the rest of the body. He is well on his way to become a healthy beautiful male. I can't wait to take serial pictures of him to observe how he change. Seeing him every day, I just did not notice the change, until I look at his old pictures.
First picture from 5/10/2018
4E1D5842-77EA-4C4B-9AA8-D21A7BF7C326.png

Second picture 4/18/2019
EightlineFlasher2019041801.jpg

Third picture today 5/7/2016
EightlineFlasher2019050701.jpg

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Cirrhilabrus do not need a sandbed? I would like to add a few in a bare-bottom tank if possible, Foremost is their well-being :) TYIA!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back