The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my first leopard wrasse in DT now for 2 weeks after 4 weeks of QT. He is doing great since there are lots of pods to munch on in my 125g reef. My only slight concern is he has (at least in front of me) hasn't eaten anything other than the pods and maybe some live brine that I added a couple of times. All my other wrasses go nuts when I offer up Reef Frenzy 2x a day and even eat some of the Benepets I broadcast feed. Should I be concerned he is not eating any frozen after 6 weeks? He does have a little bit of a pouch belly so I know he is eating and he constantly looking for his food. Should I add BBS more often?

Raptor777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
wrasses are my favorite fish. I currently have a blue star leopard wrasse, black leopard wrasse, possum wrasse, and yellow coris wrasse. Looking to add a potters wrasse soon

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wrasses are my favorite fish. I currently have a blue star leopard wrasse, black leopard wrasse, possum wrasse, and yellow coris wrasse. Looking to add a potters wrasse soon
I love the leopards too, just got my first one 6 weeks ago. Did you have trouble getting them to eat frozen?

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the leopards too, just got my first one 6 weeks ago. Did you have trouble getting them to eat frozen?
Mine took to frozen like it took to water. My black leopard came in about 1.5" long, I started him on cyclops in QT and shortly there after would eat anything I put in the tank.

Are you having difficulties getting yours to eat frozen?

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took to frozen like it took to water. My black leopard came in about 1.5" long, I started him on cyclops in QT and shortly there after would eat anything I put in the tank.

Are you having difficulties getting yours to eat frozen?
Yes after 6 weeks I haven't seen him eat any of the LRS Reef Frenzy the others are devouring. But he does not look skinny.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my first leopard wrasse in DT now for 2 weeks after 4 weeks of QT. He is doing great since there are lots of pods to munch on in my 125g reef. My only slight concern is he has (at least in front of me) hasn't eaten anything other than the pods and maybe some live brine that I added a couple of times. All my other wrasses go nuts when I offer up Reef Frenzy 2x a day and even eat some of the Benepets I broadcast feed. Should I be concerned he is not eating any frozen after 6 weeks? He does have a little bit of a pouch belly so I know he is eating and he constantly looking for his food. Should I add BBS more often?
If the fish still has good weight on it, I wouldn't fret much. It's very likely that, in time, it will take to the frozen as well from simply watching the others eat it.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes after 6 weeks I haven't seen him eat any of the LRS Reef Frenzy the others are devouring. But he does not look skinny.
I have a Yellowtail Tamarin that doesn't eat much for frozen either. It will eat frozen bloodworms or the blackworms from the LRS Fish Frenzy but nothing else prepared. It's been in my display for a few months now, after a couple months in QT and is doing just fine.

As mentioned in time it will either start to eat frozen or survive on the natural foods in your tank.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pintail and exquisite (pictures below) and want to add a couple flashers, any recommendations?

Also, any idea what's up with the exquisites nose?

@evolved @eatbreakfast

IMG_20190505_115903.jpg

IMG_20190505_120021.jpg

IMG_20190505_120545.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a common marking on a C. exquisitus. I don't know if it's regional or all variants. It's usually more visible if stressed or excited....at least it is on mine.

Unless your tank is small, almost any flashers would be ok together. Avoid P. octotaenia if your tank is pretty small.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a common marking on a C. exquisitus. I don't know if it's regional or all variants. It's usually more visible if stressed or excited....at least it is on mine.

Unless your tank is small, almost any flashers would be ok together. Avoid P. octotaenia if your tank is pretty small.

its a reefer 350, 73 display, 18 sump, 91 total

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are probably my favorites, from most to least (sadly the priciest is on top).

Diamond-Tail Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus attenuatus)
Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
Filamented Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus filamentosus)
Angulatus Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus angulatus)

Would a mix of 2-3 of these work with my pintail / exquisite? I would be adding them probably about a month after the pintail/exquisite are introduced.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pintail and exquisite (pictures below) and want to add a couple flashers, any recommendations?

Also, any idea what's up with the exquisites nose?

@evolved @eatbreakfast

IMG_20190505_115903.jpg

IMG_20190505_120021.jpg

IMG_20190505_120545.jpg
The exquisitus markings are the juvi markings. All juvi's have that white spot on the nose - it will go away as it matures.
Yup; that. :)
These are probably my favorites, from most to least (sadly the priciest is on top).

Diamond-Tail Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus attenuatus)
Blue Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus cyaneus)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
Filamented Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus filamentosus)
Angulatus Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus angulatus)

Would a mix of 2-3 of these work with my pintail / exquisite? I would be adding them probably about a month after the pintail/exquisite are introduced.
Any mix of those should be okay.
Maybe 1 1/2"-2" Male.He actually looks like the picture on the package
28e0229f4fe67ea54fe1ee3088d7cdfb.png
That's actually a female on the package. ;)
Your "he" is a she.

MichaelClark55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The exquisitus markings are the juvi markings. All juvi's have that white spot on the nose - it will go away as it matures.

Yup; that. :)

Any mix of those should be okay.

That's actually a female on the package. ;)
Your "he" is a she.
Your right, not sure why I said male, I had a brain fart!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got two Female Flame Fairy wrasse last week when LA have them on sale. I waited too long to get them so these wrasse must have stay at the wholesaler too long because two emaciated small Flame Wrasse arrived. On died the next day. I was able to get one to eat. She is getting better and gaining weight. I think she will be OK. Fins were torn but healing. I keep her in my 40 gal QT system.
Here are her pictures on arrival and today. On arrival. She was in better shape than the one that did not make it.

On arrival. Top down picture clearly show enormous head in compare to emaciated body. This is after I got her to eat a few mysis.
Flame2.jpg

Flame1.jpg

Today Pictures. Not fat yet but no longer have pinched stomach. She is gaining weight. I think she will be just fine.
FlameFairy2019051903.jpg

FlameFairy2019051902.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back