The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I promise not to post a picture of this wrasse unless I have one that I think is better than the last one.The Exquisite Fairy just zip by at what seem to be 100 mph. He is very beautiful too.
9003667C-5FBE-413E-B99B-96E0A4C2BE59.jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the opportunity to get a juvenile/female Eightline Flasher wrasse. She is only 1.5 inches. She is a little thin right now but eating well. I know that the Veteran Wrasse Keepers recommended not to try to pair Fairies and Flashers. Still, I want to try. I do have other systems. When the female turn male I will either sell him or else keep him in another system.
What do you guys and gals think?
EightLineFlasherFemale20192301.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoom zoom
These guys are fast especially when they are excited. Mke it so difficult to get good pictures, especially in dimmer light.

That exquisite in the background is exquisite.
Thanks. He is the smallest wrasse in my tank, even smaller than my Blue, Yellow Fin, and McCosker's Flashers.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That exquisite in the background is exquisite.
Yeah, that one is quite nice!
I know that the Veteran Wrasse Keepers recommended not to try to pair Fairies and Flashers. Still, I want to try. I do have other systems. When the female turn male I will either sell him or else keep him in another system.
What do you guys and gals think?
It'll work for a while. They might even spawn for a period of time. But then one day, things won't be so great. At that point, you may only have a few days to intervene before the now transitioning younger male has a death match with the older male.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @evolved. I had a harem of Royal Gramma for several years. They spawn regularly. Once the older male get weak, he was promptly killed by one of the female which change to male. I could not get him out. This was in a 450 gal tank full of coral and live rock. In this case I really see the male getting older.
I have to think long and hard about this. I may devise away to separate the tank with a divider. I can quickly divide them when needed then take my time removing one of them. If I can devise a way to do this, I may give this a go.
What ever I do, I don't want to loose an Eightline Wrasse with something as preventable and easy predicted as this.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a ton of fun to watch the pecking order changes that occur in a tank with wrasses. My flame arrived as a 2" female and is now a 3 1/2" terminal male. He has been subordinate to my Exquisite who is easily an each smaller than him. Over the last week, the flame has quite running away and displays while holding his ground with the Exquisite. Today I come home and the flame is chasing both the Exquisite and the large Labout's who was the top dog fairy wrasse in the tank. I guess there's a new sheriff in town.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I promise not to post a picture of this wrasse unless I have one that I think is better than the last one.The Exquisite Fairy just zip by at what seem to be 100 mph. He is very beautiful too.
9003667C-5FBE-413E-B99B-96E0A4C2BE59.jpeg
Wow that exquisite is so much more colorful than mine!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that one is quite nice!

It'll work for a while. They might even spawn for a period of time. But then one day, things won't be so great. At that point, you may only have a few days to intervene before the now transitioning younger male has a death match with the older male.
Can confirm, when fairys go nasty, they REALLY GO NASTY! To the point the c. lubbocki I was talking about a few days ago was pecking constantly at the c. cyanopleura while pinned against rock / glass, and that had a solid inch and quite a bit more girth than it. I couldn't imagine if it was another lubbocki

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have two Lubbocki in my tank. Two males. They have been together for the last year. They fight a lot but not to the point of killing each other.
My tank is a 320 with quite a few wrasses. The Lubbocki are fast like my Exquisite hard to take good pictures of them.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have two Lubbocki in my tank. Two males. They have been together for the last year. They fight a lot but not to the point of killing each other.
Sometimes it works. It certainly can, but because it typically doesn't, I always advise against it.
(I've had it work occasionally before in the past too, but it's not the norm. Definitely the exception and unpredictable.)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my two Lubbock and my Exquisite Fairies. They are among my first Fairies that I keep. I have not keep wrasses for all that long. Never really know much about them until the Wrasse Bug bite me about 18 months ago.
LubbockFairyA2019052301.jpg

LubbockFairyB2019052301.jpg

ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019041302.jpg

ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019052401.jpg

ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019052404.jpg

ExquisiteFairyWrasse2019052406.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back