The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot vouch for it's accuracy, but the description says it is from the Maldives. It's color and patterning looks stressed, which is obscuring its true look.
One of the primary differences between all the other regions of exquisite and the Vanuatu is the yellow dorsal fin. I have not seen another region where this is the case. That’s why I think it’s Vanuatu. I do know that DD on occasion gets their regions wrong. More here: https://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/21/fairy-wrasses-exquisitus-complex/

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the primary differences between all the other regions of exquisite and the Vanuatu is the yellow dorsal fin. I have not seen another region where this is the case. That’s why I think it’s Vanuatu. I do know that DD on occasion gets their regions wrong. More here: https://reefbuilders.com/2015/07/21/fairy-wrasses-exquisitus-complex/
???
Specimens from Maldives, Sumatra, Indonesia, Fiji, and Vanuatu can all have predominantly yellow dorsal fins....

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well after having this guy for a couple weeks I realized how he was caught. I believe he swam straight into the net and said lets go to America! He not afraid of nothing, I did a water change this morning and he kept swimming up to my hand and hose while I was draining the water out. Oh yea notice the fat gut, he eats like a horse
DT 5-22-19.JPG
Nice! I've had mine for little over a year and he is the most personable of all my fish. Swims up and sits in my hand. One of my favorite wrasse.

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
???
Specimens from Maldives, Sumatra, Indonesia, Fiji, and Vanuatu can all have predominantly yellow dorsal fins....
They can? Ok I wasn’t aware of that. I was going off of the article that I attached. That article makes it seem like the yellow dorsal fin is unique to the Vanuatu exquisite: “This form is distinctive enough to identify based on its resting coloration. Although the magenta wash on the body is not limited to this form, the dorsal saddles and yellow dorsal fins are, and this serves as a rather reliable diagnostic.”

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can? Ok I wasn’t aware of that. I was going off of the article that I attached. That article makes it seem like the yellow dorsal fin is unique to the Vanuatu exquisite: “This form is distinctive enough to identify based on its resting coloration. Although the magenta wash on the body is not limited to this form, the dorsal saddles and yellow dorsal fins are, and this serves as a rather reliable diagnostic.”
There are pics within that very article that show specimens from the areas I mentioned with predominately yellow dorsals, so....

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pics within that very article that show specimens from the areas I mentioned with predominately yellow dorsals, so....
Ok thanks. The article speaks of "resting colors" with the yellow dorsal being a "rather reliable diagnostic" of the Vanuatu. I guess when I saw the pic on DD I assumed that fish was showing it's resting colors, it doesn't seem to be flashing based on the markings on the rest of its body. Thanks for you input.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after having this guy for a couple weeks I realized how he was caught. I believe he swam straight into the net and said lets go to America! He not afraid of nothing, I did a water change this morning and he kept swimming up to my hand and hose while I was draining the water out. Oh yea notice the fat gut, he eats like a horse
DT 5-22-19.JPG

This sounds familiar. Mine is about 1.5" and in QT with a 3.5" C. isoscoles. It's pretty funny to watch him try to bully the pintail and not even be noticed. He actually head butts him.

Lebreton33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD brought the heat today. I’d wager this was a first. A half banded, a nursalim, a lennards and a blue lined all in the same roll out. And they threw in a red headed too. $6k in wrasses. Yikes.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice Alton. How big is he?
I got another Eightline Flasher female. She is tiny, only about short of 1.5 inches.
She is in my QT system now with the clowns. I hope to get her fatten up. She is doing OK, a little thin, small and bland for such an expensive fish. Her potential is great however.
Eightline2Flasher2019053002.jpg
Eightline2Flasher2019053001.jpg
I noticed rock in the tank, what is your QT procedure for wrasse? Ive been striking out lately with wrasse and QT

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT my fish. The QT system which is a full reef is use to QT corals, anemones and clams. It is a tank full of cheap overgrowth corals and full of life in the sand bed and rock. I put sensitive fish in there or in my lighted sump/refugium to get them use to captive life and captive food. Once they are in great shape, eating well and gain enough weight I release them to DT.
There are many ways to skin a cat. For me I don’t get fish that is obviously sick other than Ich. Ich is of no consequence in my tank. Fish just improve and the fish in my tank may get a spot or two than resolve shortly.
I have not have disease outbreak that cause significant death in the last 30 years

jake_francis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT my fish. The QT system which is a full reef is use to QT corals, anemones and clams. It is a tank full of cheap overgrowth corals and full of life in the sand bed and rock. I put sensitive fish in there or in my lighted sump/refugium to get them use to captive life and captive food. Once they are in great shape, eating well and gain enough weight I release them to DT.
There are many ways to skin a cat. For me I don’t get fish that is obviously sick other than Ich. Ich is of no consequence in my tank. Fish just improve and the fish in my tank may get a spot or two than resolve shortly.
I have not have disease outbreak that cause significant death in the last 30 years

I don’t QT my wrasses as well. I make sure the fish looks healthy and disease free. I also make sure it is eating. If I don’t see it eating at the LFS, I don’t buy it.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Im not worried about ich as i dont quarantine inverts/coral but i am worried about flukes/velvet. Ive been thinking of cycling an observation 40g breeder with rock and sand for wrasse so i can treat with prazi / GC and watch without stressing them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda like Paul B although I have not keep aquarium as long as he had. I keep Marine aquarium since 1980. I certainly have my share of infectious disasters for my invertebrates but not with fish. I QT my clams Anemones and corals very strictly but not fishes.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decide to do a FW dip on my wrasse in QT. They completed 5 minutes and the tub was perfectly clean. The orange back still seems stressed from it but the Moyeri and Lineatus appear unphased.

Ive decided to start acclimation to the DT. Ill be recieving an established blue star leopard on Sunday. My plan os to let these acclimate until Sunday night and release all 4 after lights out/eooms dark. My Exquisite is a bit of a bully so i plan to add a mirror for the first day or so until everything calms down.

Any other tips/tricks for adding new wrasse?

20190531_155352.jpg
20190531_155347.jpg
20190531_155411.jpg
20190531_160019.jpg

Existing wrasse
Exquisite wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse

Id like to add
Flame wrasse
Rhomboid wrasse
Melenarus wrasse
12 line wrasse

How do flasher wrasse hold up with fairy wrasse?

jake_francis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decide to do a FW dip on my wrasse in QT. They completed 5 minutes and the tub was perfectly clean. The orange back still seems stressed from it but the Moyeri and Lineatus appear unphased.

Ive decided to start acclimation to the DT. Ill be recieving an established blue star leopard on Sunday. My plan os to let these acclimate until Sunday night and release all 4 after lights out/eooms dark. My Exquisite is a bit of a bully so i plan to add a mirror for the first day or so until everything calms down.

Any other tips/tricks for adding new wrasse?

20190531_155352.jpg
20190531_155347.jpg
20190531_155411.jpg
20190531_160019.jpg

Existing wrasse
Exquisite wrasse
Yellow coris wrasse

Id like to add
Flame wrasse
Rhomboid wrasse
Melenarus wrasse
12 line wrasse

How do flasher wrasse hold up with fairy wrasse?

I have everything in my tank except for the exquisite wrasse. They all seemed to get a long. You have to feed more than usual to get the aggression down.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 78.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back