The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Ben jammin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an in-stock notification from LA on Friday morning that they got a dragon wrasse in. I've been wanting one for a while but they have been impossible to find locally recently. So I went for it even though it was a sub adult and I prefer juvies with the horns. When looking at the other wrasses they had in stock I saw a twist wrasse, and a juvi/female Scott's fairy for just $60(!). I took a chance even though I wasn't sure what the Scott's would look like cause I've always wanted obe but never seen them for less than about $180 on DD. They arrived yesterday and other than the dragon having already lost most of his horns, I'm pretty pleased - especially with the Scott's. It is gorgeous. I wasn't expecting the red spot - I thought that was specific to Cook Islands variants. Pics of the new additions below.
c98c8f4886178e18c121398e55b49ff8.jpg
6962783c451f157b5246c700670eb037.jpg
f0ac74ccfbf3dec2a0563395f32b2721.jpg
cf5c1beb1b19d9a92e944ef87e6d787d.jpg

JayKim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish, but they’re hit or miss with aggression. They are in the same family as six lines. GL
It'll be the last wrasse going into my 150 gallons, currently it's in 24 gallons with clowns and it's being chased by clowns. I am thinking the clowns are ready to spawn.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this little Naoko Fairy wrasse. Thin but eating right out of the bag at the LFS, and eating right out of the bag for me in my DT system. He certainly is a beautiful wrasse. I know about his reputation of being agressive, but due to his size, only 1.5 inches, I think he will be OK in my somewhat aggressive wrasses tank.
NaokoFairy2019060402.jpg

NaokoFairy2019060405.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@evolved @eatbreakfast
What's the average lifespan on flasher wrasse? I have an opportunity to get a paracheilinus hemitaeniatus but they're hecking expensive here in Australia so would I be getting a decent lifespan out one? :)
They are expensive everywhere! If you got 3 years out of a terminal male flasher you are doing good, a little longer if it's not terminal yet. Not anywhere worth it for me, but to each their own.

skiwez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a cynaopluara for almost 6 years now. Was one of the first fish in my tank. Last month or so it's getting lethargic hiding in his cave and only coming out for food occasionally. Is he reaching the end?

Physically he looks fine, just tired if that's possible for a fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a cynaopluara for almost 6 years now. Was one of the first fish in my tank. Last month or so it's getting lethargic hiding in his cave and only coming out for food occasionally. Is he reaching the end?

Sounds like he is indeed close to 'giving up the ghost'...

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Lineatus!
Any drive by hellos from your Rhomboid?

Get those from NW?

Yes!

I like that Potter's wrasse. Don't see many other people with those.

Thank you, i also have a 3 year old male Potters, they are by far my favorite fish in the hobby and I would do a potter wrasse only tank if i could find enough of them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two terminal males that did not last very long (among other wrasses some of which I got as terminal males). Both lived less than 1 year. They were doing well, eating in the morning and dead in the evening. A Longfin Fairy Wrasse and a larger Potter Leopard Wrasse.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine 4 1/2 years. Wonder what their normal lifespan is?
We don't really know of course, but my thoughts on Macropharyngodon are ~10 years.
What's the average lifespan on flasher wrasse?
Pretty short. IMO & IME, 4-5 years total life span.
paracheilinus hemitaeniatus but they're hecking expensive here in Australia so would I be getting a decent lifespan out one?
Agree with TJ. Buying a terminal male like that might only give 6 months of enjoyment... But there's no way you'd get more than 3 years.
They are expensive everywhere! If you got 3 years out of a terminal male flasher you are doing good, a little longer if it's not terminal yet. Not anywhere worth it for me, but to each their own.
+1 to that, and to the 2nd point as well. I'd love to have nursalim just as much (maybe more), but I won't fork over more than $500 for a Paracheilinus any more simply for these reasons.

Yeah, that's how they usually "wind down". Usually some scales start looking "old" too. It's generally no more than 6 months of life left once that starts.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't really know of course, but my thoughts on Macropharyngodon are ~10 years.

Yeah, that's how they usually "wind down". Usually some scales start looking "old" too. It's generally no more than 6 months of life left once that starts.
Two of my Flashers, which I got as terminal males 1 year ago is looking like this.
My Yellow Fin Flasher and my Blue Flasher. Both are beautiful fishes. :( :(

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back