The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick video of all my fish, I haven’t scraped the wall or cleaned the sand in a week so please excuse the algae
Edit can’t get video to upload

LOVE the acan gardens! I hope that your potter's angel lets them be, I had to remove all mine after I added a potter's...

Last edited:

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melagris female is 4 years old and 5” long.

The new potters is doing amazing, fitting right in and eating reef frenzy with the big guys like nothing.

4C936203-1EC6-489A-AC59-35123320BF5D.jpeg

90994969-EF68-4CCE-90B6-4FEBDE39A98F.jpeg
That Rhomboid looks fantastic!

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOVE the acan gardens! I hope that your potter's angel lets them be, I had to remove all mine after I added a potter's...

Zero issues with my angel, I got him as a tiny baby also (size of a quarter). The tang hates him and chases him but the angel is faster and smarter; quite the character.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is settling in. He gained a lot of weight and a lot more outgoing. He even flashes at the mirror I attached for a few minutes on the side of the tank. He flashes so fast and move so fast it is hard to take a picture in focus of him. I got to think of something different to take his picture.
NaokoFairy2019060903.jpg
NaokoFairy2019060902.jpg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BlueFlasher2019052801.jpg
I just joined the wrasse club. Here is a pic of my blue flasher wrasse. I just moved her from quarantine into the display tank. She is now the star of the tank.
2BC48006-8CDB-40F1-A43F-181D80826557.jpeg
What you have is a Line and Spot flasher wrasse. It is essentially identical to a Blue Flasher except it have a round tail instead of a forked tail. Above is a picture of a Blue Flasher flashing. I have seen both flashing and there is no different other than the tail.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lineatus has settled in nicely since I sumped my exquisite. I would love to try to add him back and I think my only chance will be if he returns in group acclimation. What's everyones thoughts on this? One on One they were relentless to the point I don't even want to put the exquisite back in the display in an acclimation box alone.

I have 3 acclimation boxes, so:
My LFS currently has two fairy wrasse that are on my wish list.

I'm thinking:
1 spendid/pintail wrasse in a acclimation box
1 solon fairy wrasse in an acclimation box
My current exquisite fairy wrasse in the last acclimation box.

I'm hoping to eventually have:
Lineatus
Pintail
Exquisite (if he will play nice)
Flame or a nicely colored hooded fairy
Lubbocks

My orange back either injured his spine while acclimating or has a swim bladder issue. He is currently in QT not looking so hot. I've tried epsom salt dosing and kanaplex incase it was constipation.

Please let me know if you see any issues I've overlooked on my list/plan

My tank is a 6' 180g reef

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking:
1 spendid/pintail wrasse in a acclimation box
1 solon fairy wrasse in an acclimation box
My current exquisite fairy wrasse in the last acclimation box.

I'm hoping to eventually have:
Lineatus
Pintail
Exquisite (if he will play nice)
Flame or a nicely colored hooded fairy
Lubbocks
Definitely adding more, and especially doing them together, will spread out and potentially curb the aggression. It's a good plan but still have a backup just in case it doesn't work out for the exquisitus.

The Escaped Ape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A request for an ID please. I bought my LFS’ last two Cirrhilabrus last week. One was definitely a C.solorensis, but unfortunately was poorly bagged and didn’t make it (they’ve thankfully recognised their fault and offered credit). But one, in good health and doing well, was sold as a C.lubbocki but looks very different to me. I’ve tried to get decent photos and failed, but this is the best I’ve managed. What’s not so clear from the photo is a clear white belly and bronze back. The pinky red hue on the back extends beyond the gills. On that basis I was wondering whether it’s maybe a female C.solorensis or C.cf solorensis. Any thoughts?

Edit: no sign that I’ve been able to upload the photo, so here’s a link - hopefully it works.

4151ef47-005c-4b97-90d2-734d0148155a.5448

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A request for an ID please. I bought my LFS’ last two Cirrhilabrus last week. One was definitely a C.solorensis, but unfortunately was poorly bagged and didn’t make it (they’ve thankfully recognised their fault and offered credit). But one, in good health and doing well, was sold as a C.lubbocki but looks very different to me. I’ve tried to get decent photos and failed, but this is the best I’ve managed. What’s not so clear from the photo is a clear white belly and bronze back. The pinky red hue on the back extends beyond the gills. On that basis I was wondering whether it’s maybe a female C.solorensis or C.cf solorensis. Any thoughts?
No picture; your attachment seems to have failed.

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to report that I added a juvenile Malanurus Wrasse to by QT a week ago on Monday evening. She immediately ate within 5 minutes after drip acclimation and then disappeared into the sand. Having read about them on this thread I wasn't too worried. She finally came out last evening after 7 days looking great. I fed her and the fish stayed out for several more hours until lights out. Looking forward to watching this one grow out.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Escaped Ape

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks Evolved - it’s great to get a second opinion (and one much more expert than mine!).

By the way, can I put on record my gratitude for your articles? They’re an immensely valuable resource for reefers. As a budding wrasse enthusiast, they provide so much useful info.

I was reading your article on pairing wrasses over the weekend - does having added the small female C. solorensis increase the chances that my much larger C. rubrimarginatus female might transition to male do you think? I know nothing’s guaranteed, but pretty as the female is, I wouldn’t mind having a more spectacular male!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, can I put on record my gratitude for your articles? They’re an immensely valuable resource for reefers. As a budding wrasse enthusiast, they provide so much useful info.
Truly my pleasure, but thank you. :)
I was reading your article on pairing wrasses over the weekend - does having added the small female C. solorensis increase the chances that my much larger C. rubrimarginatus female might transition to male do you think?
It's safe to say that it shouldn't cause any negative impact, but it might not have much influence either. In the end, it's most likely they'll both end up transitioning to male regardless.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1387bcb60319a2fda08c288162b910b5.jpg

d9a070fe82d0346be7128fc64e7d7abf.jpg

These guys just got into the display after QT. Would like to add a flame wrasse as well. Maybe one more...not sure any suggestions?
Awesome to see these two in the same tank. I have a pintail in an acclimation box, along with a few others. Lineatus isnt looking so happy with them. Gorgeous flashing displays, just hope he mellows out.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1387bcb60319a2fda08c288162b910b5.jpg

d9a070fe82d0346be7128fc64e7d7abf.jpg

These guys just got into the display after QT. Would like to add a flame wrasse as well. Maybe one more...not sure any suggestions?

Beautiful!

A Labout's would be a nice contrast to those you have, a Nahacky's would be nice as well. How big is your tank?

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • D/C

Votes: 58 63.0%
  • Both

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.1%
Back