The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of our recent additions - a Christmas wrasse (Halichoeres claudia) - or at least we believe a Christmas wrasse, as the markings are quite different from our melanarus wrasse. Both of the wrasses are between 5-5.5" in length and get along great (often swimming together).

christmas-wrasse.jpg

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should be fine with a melanurus and chrysus. Timors will hunt the same pests as melanurus and chrysus, but they're less effective than the other two once it becomes a mature male.

I noticed you're in STL so am I :)
Cool, thanks for the reply. I live in Sunset Hills and would be delighted to hook up and talk shop someday.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is our green wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus) that we've named "Soylent". Quite an active little fellow! (even enjoys eating seaweed!) Sorry for the image (not the greatest shot - he's very quick!)

DSC01485.jpg

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally love wrasses but just had such bad luck with them.

Tank was full of Tangs, Angels and Triggers, I think the behavior of the larger fish just spooked the wrasses I kept. Longest wrasses that made it (all jumped into overflows, tank top grates, etc...) were a pair of flame wrasses... too bad :(

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of our recent additions - a Christmas wrasse (Halichoeres claudia) - or at least we believe a Christmas wrasse, as the markings are quite different from our melanarus wrasse. Both of the wrasses are between 5-5.5" in length and get along great (often swimming together).

christmas-wrasse.jpg
One of my favorites! He's actually Halichoeres biocellatus (still called a "Christmas" wrasse).

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the reply. I live in Sunset Hills and would be delighted to hook up and talk shop someday.
You're welcome. I'm in Fenton so close to you. Do you go to Seascape in Sunset Hills?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorites! He's actually Halichoeres biocellatus (still called a "Christmas" wrasse).
Appreciate the clarification (scientific naming isn't one of my strong suits). I might also place "red-lined wrasse" on my fish inventory sheet. Thanks! His name is "Wash", btw (the melanarus being named "Mal"; bit of a Sci-fi geek here...) :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever shop at Scott Woerner's store Inland Marine Concepts? That's were I got my first big reef tank. He had a nice 500 gallon in there with a 3 hp chiller!
No, back in the 90's I kept freshwater. Tropical World Pets was my go-to back then.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is our green wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus) that we've named "Soylent". Quite an active little fellow! (even enjoys eating seaweed!) Sorry for the image (not the greatest shot - he's very quick!)

DSC01485.jpg
Now we’re talking! She’s a beauty - She doesn’t seem to be transitioning just yet as that green is a bit too bright. The facial markings IME don’t actually signify a male and instead once their head goes slightly more blue/purple they’re transitioning - you can see a bluer head in my transitioning male below. Also, the black spots you tend to see in females/juveniles start to fade as they age.

Here’s my big boy, I like to call him the green beast. Pretty ironic as he is my most peaceful wrasse so far - he’s even submissive to my iridis.
3E851D4C-633F-47E4-B9DE-9E89769F69AB.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we’re talking! She’s a beauty - She doesn’t seem to be transitioning just yet as that green is a bit too bright. The facial markings IME don’t actually signify a male and instead once their head goes slightly more blue/purple they’re transitioning - you can see a bluer head in my transitioning male below.

Here’s my big boy, I like to call him the green beast. Pretty ironic as he is my most peaceful wrasse so far - he’s even submissive to my iridis.
3E851D4C-633F-47E4-B9DE-9E89769F69AB.jpeg
Thanks! Can you believe I snagged "her" for only $20? She was the only green wrasse that came in on that shipment (first time I've seen one at my LFS), so I figured it was fate. I just strolled over to my tank to take a look and there's no purple or blue anywhere in the face, on the body or in the tail (at least so far, anyway).

"Soylent" has been a model citizen as well. She's always off exploring the rocks and green star polyps (for whatever perks her interest there).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Can you believe I snagged "her" for only $20? She was the only green wrasse that came in on that shipment (first time I've seen one at my LFS), so I figured it was fate. I just strolled over to my tank to take a look and there's no purple or blue anywhere in the face, on the body or in the tail (at least so far, anyway).

"Soylent" has been a model citizen as well. She's always off exploring the rocks and green star polyps (for whatever perks her interest there).
These guys are cheap… and tend to be misidentified as one of their common names is the ‘Green Coris Wrasse’. However as you rightfully said, this is instead a Halichoeres chloropterus and honestly even though their proce is rather low I don’t see them around too often. I find this to be due to their adult colour form (I have never found a correct photo of their colour form as each photo shows the same wrasse but with different colourings along the body) often being thought of as ‘drab’.

I know when I first got good photos of my Chloropterus when he was a female I was warned with aggression. In my experience that aggression has been minimal, there was a small bit of chasing when my radiant started to transition at the same time but now my iridis is somehow ontop and much further through the transitioning phase.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you ever shop at Scott Woerner's store Inland Marine Concepts? That's were I got my first big reef tank. He had a nice 500 gallon in there with a 3 hp chiller!
I have been there before and remember that actually, but Corner Reef and Gateway Aquatics are my goto and occasionally Seascape.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All your fish are stunning.

And that foxface is special!
Thankyou!
He truly is, he’s my oldest fish I own currently at 3 years old. He barely beats my CBB by 1 month.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question as I’m sure many of you can relate but, when someone asks for your favourite wrasses do you end up with a list of 30+ names (scientific or common)?
Would be entertaining to see some of the ones that land in your top 5 for the most common genera kept;
Cirrhilabrus
Paracheilinus
Halichoeres
Macropharyngodon
Anampses (although this doesn’t seem to be a genus that’s as commonly kept anymore).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back