The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally a good photo of the juvenile mccoskers plus an accidental shot that turned out quite good.
IMG_2308.jpeg

IMG_2304.jpeg

Last edited:

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the wrasse experts. A few months ago I purchased a Ruby fin fairy wrasse. Really cool fish and I've fallen in love with wrasses. So much so after doing some research I decided to purchase a McCosker flasher wrasse. My impression after reading was that the Red fin was a somewhat agressive wrasse but that something like the flasher would be okay since it's from a different genus of wrasse completely. Honestly the fairy wrasse has always acted like a huge wimp and hides at the slightest movement.

So this past Thursday I added three fish to the tank a cleaner wrasse, a McCosker flasher wrasse, and a Tang. The fairy wrasse immediately hid and spent the entire day in hiding. Friday the flasher was out and swimming with the fairy and all seemed fine. Sunday evening I noticed the Flasher had been injured and the fairy wrasse all over it even chasing it out of places it was hiding. On Sunday I was trying to get it out of the tank but was unsuccessful. Yesterday after I got home from work I found the Flasher had died. So my question is, is this normal for the Red fin fairy to be this agressive? I was really hoping to be able to add another wrasse or two but if this is going to be the result I'm thinking of trying to re-home the fairy wrasse.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for the wrasse experts. A few months ago I purchased a Ruby fin fairy wrasse. Really cool fish and I've fallen in love with wrasses. So much so after doing some research I decided to purchase a McCosker flasher wrasse. My impression after reading was that the Red fin was a somewhat agressive wrasse but that something like the flasher would be okay since it's from a different genus of wrasse completely. Honestly the fairy wrasse has always acted like a huge wimp and hides at the slightest movement.

So this past Thursday I added three fish to the tank a cleaner wrasse, a McCosker flasher wrasse, and a Tang. The fairy wrasse immediately hid and spent the entire day in hiding. Friday the flasher was out and swimming with the fairy and all seemed fine. Sunday evening I noticed the Flasher had been injured and the fairy wrasse all over it even chasing it out of places it was hiding. On Sunday I was trying to get it out of the tank but was unsuccessful. Yesterday after I got home from work I found the Flasher had died. So my question is, is this normal for the Red fin fairy to be this agressive? I was really hoping to be able to add another wrasse or two but if this is going to be the result I'm thinking of trying to re-home the fairy wrasse.
There are a few different fairy wrasses that go by "ruby fin", but based on your description of what happened I suspect you have Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis which doesn't play well with other fairy or flasher wrasses. A pic will confirm which species of fairy wrasse you have. But regardless, based on his behavior if you want any more fairy or flasher wrasses you'll need to rehome him.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few different fairy wrasses that go by "ruby fin", but based on your description of what happened I suspect you have Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis which doesn't play well with other fairy or flasher wrasses. A pic will confirm which species of fairy wrasse you have. But regardless, based on his behavior if you want any more fairy or flasher wrasses you'll need to rehome him.

I can post a video of it flashing with my clownfish. Ever since the introduction of the new fish it has been like the Tasmanian devil zooming around the tank acting crazy. It reminds me of my dog with the zoomies. I feel terrible from what I read my understanding was that this was a mid agression wrasse not a crazy agressive one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can post a video of it flashing with my clownfish. Ever since the introduction of the new fish it has been like the Tasmanian devil zooming around the tank acting crazy. It reminds me of my dog with the zoomies. I feel terrible from what I read my understanding was that this was a mid agression wrasse not a crazy agressive one.
Unfortunately I can’t watch the video, but I will agree that it seems you have Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis. And really, although it’s unfortunate this is how aggressive this species can be.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's rubripinnis. He's acting dominant towards your clowns in the video.
Don't feel bad you did nothing wrong. Back before Hunter's fairy wrasse scale existed I learned the hard way which fairies were nasty.

LOL my dog gets the zoomies, too.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t watch the video, but I will agree that it seems you have Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis. And really, although it’s unfortunate this is how aggressive this species can be.

Thank you for the confirmation it's very helpful. Now I need to go figure out how to re home it.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's rubripinnis. He's acting dominant towards your clowns in the video.
Don't feel bad you did nothing wrong. Back before Hunter's fairy wrasse scale existed I learned the hard way which fairies were nasty.

LOL my dog gets the zoomies, too.

It's funny cause the clowns don't seem to have any clue what's going on, they just kind of move out of the way. I've always wanted to keep a C. jordani but with the Hawaii closure that's out of the question.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny cause the clowns don't seem to have any clue what's going on, they just kind of move out of the way. I've always wanted to keep a C. jordani but with the Hawaii closure that's out of the question.
C. jordani is one of my favorites. I was hoping it and the potter's leopard were on list now that some fish have been approved to be collected in Hawaii again, but no such luck. Maybe someday!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re all guilty of mixing wrasses that ‘shouldn’t’ be mixed… I mean, I have it in practice currently. Hopefully you can re home him and get a beautiful plan ready!!
And talking of my gang, here’s my two Halichoeres :)
22ADFFC1-DBE1-434C-AAC4-119FAB8ACE7A.jpeg

01D565BB-DBDE-4D1A-B80D-03D34647E7CB.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. jordani is one of my favorites. I was hoping it and the potter's leopard were on list now that some fish have been approved to be collected in Hawaii again, but no such luck. Maybe someday!
Do you know if A. chrysocephalus is on the list?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if A. chrysocephalus is on the list?
Sorry it's not on the list. I believe the only wrasse that can be collected again from Hawaii are bird wrasses.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I was hopeful when that happened recently. I was thinking of trying to find a hooded fairy wrasse but they seem to be tough to come by.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it's not on the list. I believe the only wrasse that can be collected again from Hawaii are bird wrasses.
That’s a shame, hopefully they add to the list in the future. A Jordani and Chrysocephalus are the wrasses I love from Hawaii.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was hopeful when that happened recently. I was thinking of trying to find a hooded fairy wrasse but they seem to be tough to come by.
C. bathyphilus is a nice substitute. Not sure how you feel about ordering fish online, but Reef Pro Store and World Wide Corals both have them right now. Take your rubripinnis to your LFS for some store credit.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a shame, hopefully they add to the list in the future. A Jordani and Chrysocephalus are the wrasses I love from Hawaii.
M. geoffroy is on my list. I've never seen a male chrysocephalus in-person, I've only been able to admire them in photos.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your thoughts on Cirrhilabrus shutmani?
M. geoffroy is on my list. I've never seen a male chrysocephalus in-person, I've only been able to admire them in photos.
I’ve seen a male Chrysocephalus in person and I’ve never seen a nicer anampses, IMHO, even neoguinaicus is below the chrysocephalus in beauty.
My old LFS (Unfortunately they’ve moved further west compared to where I am) had a beautiful female Geoffroyi and I did try to buy it. They almost sold it but I ‘unfortunately’ got the Juvenile Jade instead. The LFS does still have that Geoffroyi which surprises me as she’s Atleast 4 years old.

radav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. bathyphilus is a nice substitute. Not sure how you feel about ordering fish online, but Reef Pro Store and World Wide Corals both have them right now. Take your rubripinnis to your LFS for some store credit.

I'm okay with ordering online. Im just not confident in my ability to quarantine a fairy wrasse, I've heard they're very difficult. It's been getting the places that do quarantine to get the fish that has been the issue. I've been eyeing the WWC and Reef Pro Store for a bit for sure.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your thoughts on Cirrhilabrus shutmani?

I’ve seen a male Chrysocephalus in person and I’ve never seen a nicer anampses, IMHO, even neoguinaicus is below the chrysocephalus in beauty.
My old LFS (Unfortunately they’ve moved further west compared to where I am) had a beautiful female Geoffroyi and I did try to buy it. They almost sold it but I ‘unfortunately’ got the Juvenile Jade instead. The LFS does still have that Geoffroyi which surprises me as she’s Atleast 4 years old.
I've never personally kept shutmani, but those that I know that do say it's mild mannered. It has increased in popularity since jordani is no longer available. I think it's another nice substitute.

Saltyhog had his geoffroy for I believe 8 yrs so there's a chance that LFS will have theirs a few more years.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back