The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but nothing like yours must be ...go ahead and get that Nursalim and I'll take it off you hands if he's too aggressive with the anthias! :p

My DT is 72x24x21 and my wrasse list is :

C. lineatus
C. laboutei
C. jordani
C. roseafacia (don't try this at home)
C. exquisitus
C. isoscoles
H. melasmapomas
M. geofroyii
P. lineaopunctatus
P. attenuatus
P. flavianalis
P. octotaenia
Lol. There's a waiting list of friends who have offered and I'm sure are praying that it turns out to be that he's too aggressive. LOL
Quite the collection, you have. Really impressive. I had a Laboutei that I removed for very bad behavior towards his roommates. How's yours?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol. There's a waiting list of friends who have offered and I'm sure are praying that it turns out to be that he's too aggressive. LOL
Quite the collection, you have. Really impressive. I had a Laboutei that I removed for very bad behavior towards his roommates. How's yours?
Yeah the Nursalim should be fine with the Anthias. I wouldn't think any more active than that Earlei. In fact, check out the Reef Builders video when they visited Diver Den to do a piece on the Peppermint. Kevin had a beautiful Nursalim in with a bunch of Ventralis anthias I believe.

Nice list @saltyhog ! How do the Rosie and Jordani get along?

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got a beautiful 6-line on Sunday.. the guy was tiny - about 1.25”. Sadly he managed to get himself stuck in one of the rocks and died :oops: Do all wrasse like to hide in small pockets? If they do, should I get one that is bigger than most ofthe holes in myrock so they hide behind larger structures?

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We got a beautiful 6-line on Sunday.. the guy was tiny - about 1.25”. Sadly he managed to get himself stuck in one of the rocks and died :oops: Do all wrasse like to hide in small pockets? If they do, should I get one that is bigger than most ofthe holes in myrock so they hide behind larger structures?
Did he hide when first introduced? Was he chased once introduced? Wrasse will hide is stressed but once comfortable, they will come out.

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he hide when first introduced? Was he chased once introduced? Wrasse will hide is stressed but once comfortable, they will come out.

He did at first but then he was out and about all night Sunday.. he was even cleaning off the powder brown tang and Foxface. We even saw him in the morning before work.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He did at first but then he was out and about all night Sunday.. he was even cleaning off the powder brown tang and Foxface. We even saw him in the morning before work.
A 6 Line wrasse is a Pseudocheilinus wrasse and they sleep in the crevices of rocks and build a mucus cocoon around themselves. Did you find him dead in the rockwork? A little more info would be helpful. Was he eating? Any signs of disease or parasite? Did you QT prior to adding to your DT?

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No visible disease - no visible parasite. Other than the initial 5 minutes of him getting into the tank, he was behaving rather normal. He hid for about 5 minutes initially but then spent the rest of the afternoon swimming freely and cleaning the powder brown tang and Foxface and also ate pellets. When we went to bed I saw him go into a crevice and thought he would get himself stuck but in the morning we saw him out and about acting normal. It wasn’t until I got home when we saw him stuck in a different crevice of another rock. He was dead but it couldn’t have been too long because he didn’t lose color. I had to dislodge him - and it wasn’t easy. I was able to get him out in one piece but he was already dead.

Steve Elb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some wrasse's, so I want to see everyone's wrasse pictures! Please share!

I've been practicing my fish taking.. Snapped a decent one of my Naoko Wrasse, still need to polish up on my skills though!
IMG_9457_zps94017eaa.jpg

IMG_9469_zps9e608ad0.jpg

Edit:

Forgot my earmuff! Colors since this picture have really improved!
IMG_9303_zpsfd974b69.jpg
20190805_154047.jpg

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No visible disease - no visible parasite. Other than the initial 5 minutes of him getting into the tank, he was behaving rather normal. He hid for about 5 minutes initially but then spent the rest of the afternoon swimming freely and cleaning the powder brown tang and Foxface and also ate pellets. When we went to bed I saw him go into a crevice and thought he would get himself stuck but in the morning we saw him out and about acting normal. It wasn’t until I got home when we saw him stuck in a different crevice of another rock. He was dead but it couldn’t have been too long because he didn’t lose color. I had to dislodge him - and it wasn’t easy. I was able to get him out in one piece but he was already dead.

hard to say but based on that I would guess he was chased into the rockwork. What else do you have in the tank?

ESAYARKAY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the Nursalim should be fine with the Anthias. I wouldn't think any more active than that Earlei. In fact, check out the Reef Builders video when they visited Diver Den to do a piece on the Peppermint. Kevin had a beautiful Nursalim in with a bunch of Ventralis anthias I believe.

Thank you, I have indeed seen that video and noticed the Ventralis with the Nursalim.
As far as active like the Earlei, you're probably right about activity level. My concern is the flashing.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He may have been chased in there who knows.. but I’m guessing if I really want a wrasse, I should try and find a bigger one.
6 Lines can hold their own so i don't know if size was the issue. Other internal factors may have been at play as well. Good luck!

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you, I have indeed seen that video and noticed the Ventralis with the Nursalim.
As far as active like the Earlei, you're probably right about activity level. My concern is the flashing.
I'd give it a shot especially if the price is right for you. Nice Earlei BTW. Its next on my list of additions.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Laboutei is the largest Fairy wrasse by a good margin. But surprisingly the pecking order is Exquisite>Flame> Lineatus and then all the rest. They all ignore the Isoscoles which surprises me. The amazing thing is the Laboutei was a 4" terminal male when the Exquisite (sub male) and Flame (female) were introduced. Just can't count for individuality.

For now (the Rosie's been in a few months) the rosefascia is subordinate to the top 3. We'll see how that changes as he matures. LA called him a terminal male but he doesn't look or act like it to me. I'm prepared to remove him if he gets skippy. I have a friend with a big mature tank and only my Redline that I gave him as his only wrasse. He will probably get the Rosie if it misbehaves.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back