The Year In Review...A Pictoral Timeline

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a new year, and the UC story is still being written, but it's fun to take a little look back and see where we've been and how far we've come. Here's a quick look back at the first year of Unique Corals...

October, 2011: Joe and Scott meet at Reefapalooza, to discuss the groundwork of re-launching/rebranding Unique Corals in Los Angeles.

November, 2011: The search begins for a suitable location. We looked into areas that were close to major freeways, reasonable drives for both Joe and I (thanks, Michelle, for suggesting this!), and a facility that provided us with good features and good space to expand.

December, 2011: We find our facility in Van Nuys, CA, with perfect proximity to the 405 freeway, LAX, and other amenities. It's a 6,000 square foot warehouse, with room to expand. A long-term lease is signed. A great place to start an empire!

cbk.jpeg

January, 2012: Work begins on the inside of the facility. Electrical modifications, drains, and other necessities are installed.

February, 2012: After a very long collaborative process, noted creative guy/fish geek Johnny Ciotti designs the Unique Corals logo.

uc_PowerPoint_logo-300-jpg.jpg

March, 2012: Design configuration is finalized, and construction of holding systems begins. After much searching, timing, and just good luck, we located six 30-foot-long fiberglass aquaculture raceways, with capacity of over 1,200 gallons each. With each raceway mated to it's own sump and filtration pallet, we're able to isolate each system for maximum health of our corals. Jake Adams designs an ingenious horizontal gyre flow system for each raceway. The raceways are delivered and primary plumbing begins. Scott, Michelle, and Johnny attend Reefstock 2012 in Denver, revealing the new UC for the first time. Interest is high among attendees.

photo-1.jpg

April, 2012: Metal Halide lighting on movers is installed over the soon-to-be SPS raceways. Water and corals are in the raceways for the first time. The gyre works brilliantly! Initial fragging begins! Website design begins.

_DSC1002.jpg

May, 2012: Additional infrastructure is added to assure greater environmental stability. A state-of-the-art bagging and packing station is constructed, oxygen, water supply manifolds from each raceway, and a clip machine for bagging efficiently and quickly.

June-July 2012: Agreement is reached with Eco Aquariums PNG. Unique Corals will be the North American launch customer for ecolabeled fishes from Papua New Guinea. Coral Magazine and Reef Builders feature in-depth articles about Unique Corals and our work with this sustainable market. The first fishes, such as the coveted Gold Nugget Wrasses, will be arriving in July!

Gold Nugget Wrasse .jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
July and August, 2012: Ecolabeled PNG fishes arrive for the first time, and the fish world is buzzing. Amazing clownfish are starting to show up, and breeders are excited! UC Website goes live. With it's Use of negative space and "Apple-esque" appearance, it generates a lot of talk!

Tailspot-Perc.jpg

IMG_2685-Bagged-Angel.jpg

Attachments

• 177744_425407934167746_1600044724_o-1024x377.jpg
    177744_425407934167746_1600044724_o-1024x377.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

jackers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the dream setup. You guys seem to really care about the corals as well as the customers.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
September, 2012: ReefGen, a collaboration between Jo Yaiullo, Justin Credebal, and Laura Birnbaum debuts, offering captive propagated corals and fishes from the stock of the famous Long Island Aquarium. Unique Corals is chosen as the launch customer.

MACNA 2012 in Dallas features Unique Corals exhibiting for the first time. Hobby interest is high, and Jean-Michel Custeau himself stopped by the both to talk about our work with myself and Laura Birnbaum of ReefGen!

The legendary Dick Perrin of Tropicorium stops by the UC booth to see our frag of his famous "Trop OD Chalice", and reminisces fondly about it's history with us. A moment that gives goose bumps to the hardcore reefers in attendance.

October, 2012: Unique Corals exhibits at Reef-a-Palooza, a mere one year after the idea of relaunching the brand was first discussed there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
November, 2012: Unique Corals Fall "Open House" is a big hit, with the SoCal reef community once again showing up in large numbers! Online customers get to enjoy the same sale prices as walk in customers, much to everyone's delight!

406809_470195883022284_1547631011_n.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
December, 2012: Koji Wada, Famous rare-fish enthusiast and owner of Japan's most beloved marine aquarium store, Blue Harbor, and Eco Systems Aquariums Leng Sy, visit Unique Corals. They are among many well-known hobbyists and fish world personalities who regularly stop into our facility, making it a reef geek's dream to work in!

528372_484934151548457_1243976862_n.jpg

The next project at our facility, the "Unique Boutique", a "reef lounge' and destination for local and traveling reef geeks, begins construction. The "boutique" will feature two 700 gallon in wall aquariums, a 500 gallon cylinder aquarium, and a raceway to purchase coral out of. The hope is to make the facility a destination for reefers who visit the So Cal area.

75513_486600398048499_1006090021_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a very busy first year. We have been blessed with some initial success, great friends, and wonderful support from the reef community. We have learned much, made some mistakes along the way, and discovered a few things about the industry - and ourselves. With heavy focus on providing you- our customers, friends, and fans- the best possible experience and care, we look forward to much success in the future.

We could not have done it without you, and we thank each and every one of you for your support!

Regards,

Joseph Caparatta and Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the dream setup. You guys seem to really care about the corals as well as the customers.

Thanks for the kind words! We do, and we are proud to make customer service such an important part of the experience!

-Scott

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great looking set up. Looking forward to seeing more pics. Really nice works guys.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back