therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yep! That is a thick stubby that has been adding mass forever haha. I do have a couple of other really beefy humilis I haven't posted yet either but are definitely able to be cut if those interest you.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A few of my undocumented colonies were looking nice today while I was packing frags, so I finally got some halfway decent shots of them.

BC Money Comb/ Poison Idea

This is the only one of the myriad "Bali Shortcake" types I have grown (7+?) that has truly blue tips. Also has a great rich salmon pink base color

IMG_9763.jpeg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Another oddball smoothie I've been sitting on for a while. It has longer, thinner branches than most. Kind of a lime green base color with blue growth tips and orange-brown corallites. It gets deeper, richer colors in my backup system where I dose nitrates, but I dont have it grown into a colony there yet. Hopefully I can update this with a better quality photo in the future.

FHC Sour Granny

IMG_9769.jpeg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And an eternal classic that I've been fragging for a while now, but it is hard to capture the stunning pearlescent combo of blue, aqua, purple, and green in this day and age of blue shifted lighting. I tried and failed to grow this one many many times, and had a lot of fakes, but finally sourced the real deal from @jda a few years back. Absolutely gorgeous.

ORA Pearlberry
IMG_9772.jpeg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Really cool oddball corals there. Simple, beautiful colors

After being in the hobby for so long, I try to hang onto the stuff that is either unusual or the best examples of a "wave" of corals that get imported, and hoard it for posterity.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here are a couple more that have evaded the camera up until now.

Acropora hoeksemai are awesome blue corals that I equate to long branching tenuis. I have two forms that have done really well for me the past couple of years. They seem to like plenty of PAR and flow and are thriving at a PAR of 400+ in my system

Copps Turquoise hoeksemai
IMG_9723.jpeg

and

Deep blue hoeksemai...honestly this one has looked bluer than Peng's HOTO in my system when I have had them side by side, but of course every system is different:
IMG_9721.jpeg

And here they are side by side for comparison.
IMG_9725.jpeg

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
An unparalleled classic with a fair number of imposters floating around. In my experience the "true" one has a richer velvety turquoise color and grows into a "cushion" shaped colony kind of like a thick puffy table, sometimes with multiple levels. Most of the imposters grow upward into more of an angular bottlebrush form.

ORA Hawkins
IMG-1844.jpg

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An unparalleled classic with a fair number of imposters floating around. In my experience the "true" one has a richer velvety turquoise color and grows into a "cushion" shaped colony kind of like a thick puffy table, sometimes with multiple levels. Most of the imposters grow upward into more of an angular bottlebrush form.

ORA Hawkins
IMG-1844.jpg
Breathtaking

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Apparently I am on a blue kick, here's another one. This one traces its lineage all the way back to Menard Villaber's legendary store called Reef Dweller in Chicago in the early 2000s. This shop was my first introduction to many of the truly wondrous and previously unseen Acropora that we had just learned about from the publication of Veron's 3 volume Corals of the World. Menard had all the good stuff!

Menard's Blue humilis
IMG_9722.jpeg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple more that have evaded the camera up until now.

Acropora hoeksemai are awesome blue corals that I equate to long branching tenuis. I have two forms that have done really well for me the past couple of years. They seem to like plenty of PAR and flow and are thriving at a PAR of 400+ in my system

Copps Turquoise hoeksemai
IMG_9723.jpeg

and

Deep blue hoeksemai...honestly this one has looked bluer than Peng's HOTO in my system when I have had them side by side, but of course every system is different:
IMG_9721.jpeg

And here they are side by side for comparison.
IMG_9725.jpeg
I was actually just gonna message you yesterday asking about these!

Beautiful!

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I was actually just gonna message you yesterday asking about these!

Beautiful!

I'm just remembering, Dustin Dorton used to have one of these we called a "Deep Blue Selago" that he propagated out of the shop he worked at prior to going to ORA. That was quite the coveted coral back around the year 2000! I dont know how to tag him on R2R so he can chime in. Good times... I'm sure @Carlosreef remembers!

Carlosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just remembering, Dustin Dorton used to have one of these we called a "Deep Blue Selago" that he propagated out of the shop he worked at prior to going to ORA. That was quite the coveted coral back around the year 2000! I dont know how to tag him on R2R so he can chime in. Good times... I'm sure @Carlosreef remembers!
HAHAHA, I do remember those days. I also remember many of the deep-water corals we all coveted.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back