They’re returning, help ID

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys they’re returning…
I have dinos and I’m fighting them, I started rising nutrients (currently nitrates at 5ppm and phosphates at 0.1ppm), I raised the temperature at 28c (82f) and put a UV steriliser
They were dying in fact the tank is way more cleaner than before but they’re returning slowly, what I’m doing isn’t necessary to kill em
they’re returning on sand and glass

I bought a microscope to identify and start treating them specifically

someone can identify them?

6B83921F-8C13-4AC6-965C-06C9CFAB2DEA.jpeg
776A8917-62C8-44A5-A26E-D83CF2773A10.jpeg
13AFFD4E-2437-42B1-B26A-4FEFA600DA90.jpeg

OP
OP
aqva

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank age?
About 6 month
are you sure having temp that high isn't harming your animals?
I kept this temperature for 2 weeks now I'm at 25c (77f) and it helped
do you use 0 TDS rodi water?
Yep I have a 5 stage RODI water system with TDS meter
do you do manual removal?
Nope, I only siphoned the sand only one time when they seemed death

Oh I forgot I'm dosing 100ml of live phyto per day

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys they’re returning…
I have dinos and I’m fighting them, I started rising nutrients (currently nitrates at 5ppm and phosphates at 0.1ppm), I raised the temperature at 28c (82f) and put a UV steriliser
They were dying in fact the tank is way more cleaner than before but they’re returning slowly, what I’m doing isn’t necessary to kill em
they’re returning on sand and glass

I bought a microscope to identify and start treating them specifically

someone can identify them?

6B83921F-8C13-4AC6-965C-06C9CFAB2DEA.jpeg
776A8917-62C8-44A5-A26E-D83CF2773A10.jpeg
13AFFD4E-2437-42B1-B26A-4FEFA600DA90.jpeg
looks like large cell Amphidinium, hard to kill with chemicals or UV, fortunately nearly not toxic/poisonous.

adding some live sand/rock (not the bagged stuff), and some bottled bac (PNS probio is my favorite for dino treatment) in addition to good params will help to kill them off. Alternatively, you can try to replace them with diatoms by dosing silicates.

OP
OP
aqva

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95BFDA05-E1F0-408D-9D2C-9D4816D027F7.jpeg
E3BAB4F3-C25B-4851-A9CA-DE35B4DDF268.jpeg

I have some hair algae
322FF6B4-28EB-4D51-952F-768F1A514050.jpeg

Well I’ll start dosing bacteria, can I also overdose them? Firstly I turn off the UV steriliser

What about diatoms? Should I use 1 TDS RODI water?

I hope to get rid of them soon, it’s almost 3 months they’re in my tank

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
95BFDA05-E1F0-408D-9D2C-9D4816D027F7.jpeg
E3BAB4F3-C25B-4851-A9CA-DE35B4DDF268.jpeg

I have some hair algae
322FF6B4-28EB-4D51-952F-768F1A514050.jpeg

Well I’ll start dosing bacteria, can I also overdose them? Firstly I turn off the UV steriliser

What about diatoms? Should I use 1 TDS RODI water?

I hope to get rid of them soon, it’s almost 3 months they’re in my tank
Hair algae is the priority IMO. Follow dosing instructions per bottled bac company. the best fix is time and patience, going diatoms route isn't worth it with your dinos (some dinos are toxic, but cuc can eat yours).

OP
OP
aqva

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair algae is the priority IMO.
Oh really? Was thinking they will compete with dino, btw they start growing when I raised phosphate because I was at 0
BTW in the future I'll build a Algae Turf Scrubber cause I would add more fishes

Oh the forum I read about dosing H2O2 during night, will it help me against that specie? When the lights are off I see there's no dino on sand

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really? Was thinking they will compete with dino, btw they start growing when I raised phosphate because I was at 0
BTW in the future I'll build a Algae Turf Scrubber cause I would add more fishes

Oh the forum I read about dosing H2O2 during night, will it help me against that specie? When the lights are off I see there's no dino on sand
they can bottom params, and some dinos can also grow off of them. Dinos do best in very low nutrient water. Chemicals are bandaids, and it will just kinda shoot yourself in the foot, the dinos you have are also quite resistant to chemicals and uv, but fortunately don't kill or really harm anything. You want to get a population of "good" microorganism to fight the dinos and keep them at bay.

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately you cannot overdose purple non-sulfur bacteria. They're completely benign (probiotic, in fact). Any "extra" serve as an excellent live coral food. :)

OP
OP
aqva

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like large cell Amphidinium
They seem Amphidinium small cells to me, cause big cells seem more symmetrical and the "urchin" is sharper and bigger compared with the body
I would suspend phyto dosing, maybe I'm dosing fert with it and promote hair algae

Fortunately you cannot overdose purple non-sulfur bacteria. They're completely benign (probiotic, in fact). Any "extra" serve as an excellent live coral food. :)
I don't have corals yet, I'll start with them after getting rid of dinos

Do you mean diatoms as method to kill dino? I have the skimmer running 24/7

tomorrow I'll do some test, I think I should raise nitrates I would put them above 10ppm

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem Amphidinium small cells to me, cause big cells seem more symmetrical and the "urchin" is sharper and bigger compared with the body
I would suspend phyto dosing, maybe I'm dosing fert with it and promote hair algae

I don't have corals yet, I'll start with them after getting rid of dinos

Do you mean diatoms as method to kill dino? I have the skimmer running 24/7

tomorrow I'll do some test, I think I should raise nitrates I would put them above 10ppm
their saying it because pns probio helps with dinos (at least in my experience)

hair algae will grow from nutrients, as long as they can get them they will grow. Manual removal, reducing reds/greens and getting some CUC can help.

OP
OP
aqva

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
their saying it because pns probio helps with dinos (at least in my experience)

hair algae will grow from nutrients, as long as they can get them they will grow. Manual removal, reducing reds/greens and getting some CUC can help.
I live in Europe and it’s near impossible to get PNS probio for me, btw I’m daily dosing bacteria by daphbio

I tested nutrients and you’re right, seem impossible but hair algae drop phosphate from 0.1ppm to 0.025ppm and it’s hard to believe but nitrates raised to 10ppm

here a clip under 1000x magnification, there is two types of Dino… am I right?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Europe and it’s near impossible to get PNS probio for me, btw I’m daily dosing bacteria by daphbio

I tested nutrients and you’re right, seem impossible but hair algae drop phosphate from 0.1ppm to 0.025ppm and it’s hard to believe but nitrates raised to 10ppm

hard to say, I still think its large cell amphodium

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Europe and it’s near impossible to get PNS probio for me
Hi, we (Hydrospace LLC) just signed a contract with De Jong Marinelife and they will be supplying to Italy and all of Western Europe! We're just waiting on their first order. Tell your LFS to contact them and request that they get their act together soon! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Amphidinium

OP
OP
aqva

aqva

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, we (Hydrospace LLC) just signed a contract with De Jong Marinelife and they will be supplying to Italy and all of Western Europe! We're just waiting on their first order. Tell your LFS to contact them and request that they get their act together soon! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
That’s sounds good
Amphidinium
Large or small cells in your opinion? I know they have different treatments

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sounds good

Large or small cells in your opinion? I know they have different treatments
No idea about the species.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Amphidium and some ostreo.
Prepare by starting with a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off (at least white and run blue at 10-15% IF you have light dependant corals) for 5 days and at night dose 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights. If you dont have light dependent coral- turn all lights off.
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7 or XLM) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights - ramping up and work your white lights up slowly

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back