Help with DINOS!

Tyler Venemore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been battling dinos for a few months now and it’s really starting to get on my nerves now. So much that I’m starting to lose interest in the tank and considering restarting.

So far I have tried:

1. Running tank at a higher temp of 82F

2. Raised Nitrate and Phosphate levels

3. Fitted UV steriliser

4. Stopped feeding amino acids

5. Stopped water changes.

6. Baster sand daily

It isn’t out of control, only on the sand bed. Some weeks it’s everywhere and others it’s only in patches, but I’m really stumped with what to do about it. It disappears at night and comes back in the day. I don’t really want to resort to a black out and upset my corals.

IMG_5932.jpeg IMG_5312.jpeg

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a UV filter? Mines been running almost a month and almost all dino gone,.(water borne Dinos) albeit I also raised my phospheats & nitrates....

OP
OP
Tyler Venemore

Tyler Venemore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running on a higher temp for about 3 weeks to test a theory. UV bulb I changed last month and adjusted the flow rate accordingly to battle dinos in the water column. Also raised my phosphates and nitrates, been running these higher nutrient levels for a couple of months now too

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not find this perspective helpful, but it sounds like you have large-cell amphidinium dinos - they usually stick to the sand, are often non-/low toxin, don't usually bother much (except the hobbyist).
Choosing not to care and just suck out any patch brown enough to annoy you is a totally valid "treatment" response, and I'd never consider restarting a mature tank with happy corals and fish for a little discolored sand.
(again, just my perspective.)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back