Think I am about to lose Ocellaris...

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocellaris just started exhibiting some behavioral symptoms yesterday. I found him practically floating in the corner of the tank on his side in the morning. I have been able to get him to eat some LRS Fish Frenzy but his appetite does appear to be less than normal. He also started flashing some. I have not seen him scratch on anything but quick head jerks. He is the only fish in the tank so I dosed PraziPro at 1.5t spoons for 30 gallons of water. I also removed carbon sources. I also gave him a 5 minute FW dip. There were some white specks in the water but I found it really tough to tell if they were flukes. He seemed to swim around better after the FW dip but now he is back to floating and hanging around the top of the tank. Do you think I am dealing with Flukes or maybe velvet? No visual clues have presented themselves in the velvet way. When should I start seeing an improvement in behavior after PraziPro first dose if it is indeed Flukes?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip doesn’t always tell you about Gill-flukes. Flukes from the body usually turn dark like a small sesame seed

prazi is two doses so you should see improvement in about a week if it is gill flukes. I would have thought you’d see solid improvement after the first dose. Have you added an air stone to heavily aerate the water while dosing prazipro? It can reduce oxygen in the water

no ammonia in the tank right?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My ocellaris just started exhibiting some behavioral symptoms yesterday. I found him practically floating in the corner of the tank on his side in the morning. I have been able to get him to eat some LRS Fish Frenzy but his appetite does appear to be less than normal. He also started flashing some. I have not seen him scratch on anything but quick head jerks. He is the only fish in the tank so I dosed PraziPro at 1.5t spoons for 30 gallons of water. I also removed carbon sources. I also gave him a 5 minute FW dip. There were some white specks in the water but I found it really tough to tell if they were flukes. He seemed to swim around better after the FW dip but now he is back to floating and hanging around the top of the tank. Do you think I am dealing with Flukes or maybe velvet? No visual clues have presented themselves in the velvet way. When should I start seeing an improvement in behavior after PraziPro first dose if it is indeed Flukes?
Very hard to answer questions without any pictures ( and take under white light). Can be flukes, can be brooklynella. If Brook, some symptoms you will notice are :
Fish may scrape up against objects
rapid respiration develops
Fish often gasping for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.

Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from ich is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by the fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip doesn’t always tell you about Gill-flukes. Flukes from the body usually turn dark like a small sesame seed

prazi is two doses so you should see improvement in about a week if it is gill flukes. I would have thought you’d see solid improvement after the first dose. Have you added an air stone to heavily aerate the water while dosing prazipro? It can reduce oxygen in the water

no ammonia in the tank right?
The first dose of PraziPro was not even 24 hours ago at this point. Just thought I would see some improvement already. No ammonia in the water at all. I have both return pump nozzles aimed at surface and two more air stones that I have added.

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to answer questions without any pictures ( and take under white light). Can be flukes, can be brooklynella. If Brook, some symptoms you will notice are :
Fish often gasping for air at the surface as the gills become clogged with mucus.

Very quickly the fish will become lethargic, refuse to eat, and its colors will fade. The most noticeable difference that sets Brooklynella apart from ich is the heavy amount of slime that is produced by the fish that has contracted this parasite. As the disease progresses, a thick whitish mucus covers the body. This will usually start at the head and spread outward across the entire body. Skin lesions appear and it is not uncommon for signs of secondary bacterial infections to arise.
I will keep an eye out for the mucus, is Brook treatable at that point?

OP
OP
BombadBrad

BombadBrad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the best picture I could get. The white specks are not on him. Those are micro bubbles from running my skimmer with no cup. My wife told me he laid on his side at top all day. I came home tonight, turned the tank lights on and he sprung to life and acted like nothing is wrong. I fed him and he ate well. We will see what he does tomorrow I guess.

Attachments

• 4BC205B4-F4F4-43F7-9150-434473A15A96.jpeg
    4BC205B4-F4F4-43F7-9150-434473A15A96.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 41

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back