Think I'm overstocked but nutrients are 0. . . cool fish for 30 gallon?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thinking about adding a fish to my 30 gallon (40 gallons total volume). I was under the impression I was overstocked (1 mimic filefish, 2 pygmy wasp, 1 cleaner goby, 1 red soap fish (limited info, max size likely 3 inches from my research)). . . but my nutrients are reading 0. . . thinking about adding something more personable/precocious (the pygmys and soapfish are hidden unless feeding). . .

I might start dosing nitrate and phosphate. . .

but might add something like a green chromis?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the same tank as your build thread? Looks like your last update was in 2022. Do you still have macros? How packed are your corals? Any algae issues? What are you currently feeding?

Zero nutrients could be a symptom of a problem like rampant algae growth or it could be a number of other things. If you have lots of corals, good growth (i.e., corals sucking up all the nutrients) and current fish aren't crowded, I'd say you aren't overstocked and another fish would ve a good addition. No idea of a green chromis is a good choice.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this the same tank as your build thread? Looks like your last update was in 2022. Do you still have macros? How packed are your corals? Any algae issues? What are you currently feeding?

Zero nutrients could be a symptom of a problem like rampant algae growth or it could be a number of other things. If you have lots of corals, good growth (i.e., corals sucking up all the nutrients) and current fish aren't crowded, I'd say you aren't overstocked and another fish would ve a good addition. No idea of a green chromis is a good choice.
This tank:

No macros in it, but growing calurpa in the refugium. . . might switch back to chaeto though. . .

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank:

No macros in it, but growing calurpa in the refugium. . . might switch back to chaeto though. . .
Caulerpa is too good at sucking up nutrients. I'd go with a slower macro like red grape Botrycladia or pom pom Gracilaria hayi if it were me. Dragon's breath is one I've wanted to to try but couldn't.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a fish to my 30 gallon (40 gallons total volume). I was under the impression I was overstocked (1 mimic filefish, 2 pygmy wasp, 1 cleaner goby, 1 red soap fish (limited info, max size likely 3 inches from my research)). . . but my nutrients are reading 0. . . thinking about adding something more personable/precocious (the pygmys and soapfish are hidden unless feeding). . .

I might start dosing nitrate and phosphate. . .

but might add something like a green chromis?
I'm the one who says don't overstock with fish...just feed more.

Have you tried reef roids? I know the general consensus is it boosts phosphates, but when I was trying to get numbers up in my tank, it brought the nitrates up to 20 ppm, didn't notice a phos jump, but expected rock/corals/algae may have grabbed that.

I used maybe an 1/8th of a teaspoon in my sumped 29 gallon a couple times a week...much less than the recommended amount per volume.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back