Thinking about a Snowflake Eel....

Beastie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly large system set up with a 220g reef display the family room, 90g rock sump, 55g frag/fuge take and a 100 g sump in the basement.

I am thinking about getting an eel for the 90g rock tank. Right now the only thing in the tank is a large green bristle starfish (body about 2" diameter with arms about 18" from tip to tip). I run just blue actinic lights over the rock sump as I am working on getting sponges to grow for filtration. I do have glass hoods I keep on this tank and will probably find a way to secure them a bit better.

My question is would the SFE bother the bristle starfish? I would get a smaller SFE to start with but not sure if the starfish would be lunch later on. The starfish is down there now because I found him having a fish snack one day and will never put him back in the display.

Still reading up on eels requirements but I think it will work. Just need to convince the wife that it is not a snake and will not be able to craw 2 flights of stairs into bed with her!

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fairly large system set up with a 220g reef display the family room, 90g rock sump, 55g frag/fuge take and a 100 g sump in the basement.

I am thinking about getting an eel for the 90g rock tank. Right now the only thing in the tank is a large green bristle starfish (body about 2" diameter with arms about 18" from tip to tip). I run just blue actinic lights over the rock sump as I am working on getting sponges to grow for filtration. I do have glass hoods I keep on this tank and will probably find a way to secure them a bit better.

My question is would the SFE bother the bristle starfish? I would get a smaller SFE to start with but not sure if the starfish would be lunch later on. The starfish is down there now because I found him having a fish snack one day and will never put him back in the display.

Still reading up on eels requirements but I think it will work. Just need to convince the wife that it is not a snake and will not be able to craw 2 flights of stairs into bed with her!

Thanks in advance,

Brad
Have you checked into chainlinks?

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had an issue with mine bothering anything. I kept it well fed. Never bothered inverts or small fish. I did not keep any shrimp with it though.

finnq86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starfish with my SFE and never have had a problem once, doesn't even look at it. only thing my SFE has eaten that i wasnt too happy about was a cleaner shrimp, which was somewhat an experiment gone wrong...

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a serpent starfish with my snowflake eel and haven't had any issues. I really think shrimp and really small fish are the only things to really avoid. I have crabs, snails, and fish with my snowflake without any issues whatsoever.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

• I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Other.

Back