OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg were do you live and more importantly, where can I get deals like this! Never could get any wild caught colony at that price in america
Bangkok....the color variations really aren't very important to the shops, only size honestly. They would even offer a deal if I were to just buy 2 corals. They're not uncommon either...all the shops sell them in all different color variations for about the same price. Btw, this is just some of the live rock he got in last week...
Screenshot_2023-10-13-02-15-28-679_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bangkok....the color variations really aren't very important to the shops, only size honestly. They would even offer a deal if I were to just buy 2 corals. They're not uncommon either...all the shops sell them in all different color variations for about the same price. Btw, this is just some of the live rock he got in last week...
Screenshot_2023-10-13-02-15-28-679_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Things to do when I turn 18

1: move to Bangkok

Though i (thankfully) don't buy color variants either. My LFS is gets wild Australian colonies through the wholesaler, not willing to spend $600 on a fancy acan, just get "green" or "red", though the price is still up there from being shipped across the world, though somehow the wilsoni I got is about the same price as the one in Bangkok...
20231012_152543.jpg

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things to do when I turn 18

1: move to Bangkok

Though i (thankfully) don't buy color variants either. My LFS is gets wild Australian colonies through the wholesaler, not willing to spend $600 on a fancy acan, just get "green" or "red", though the price is still up there from being shipped across the world
You say you won't be tempted by the color variants now but when you see how incredible some are you'll look at them like pure art! That's not a good reason to just buy a coral but if you want one, of course you should find the perfect colors for you! Don't settle for what your LFS typically brings in and charges 600 because it has a stripe in the middle...I'm talking some really out there combinations! For the price of that supposed Wilsoni, I could get 4 Acanthophyllia corals.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefkeepers Archive one thing not many on R2R or the majority of the hobby have experienced is being able to buy a completely unique coral that doesn't look exactly like any other piece in the shop. In the west, they cut frags and line up rows of 10-15 identical pieces and to me that just takes away a lot of what I enjoy which is making my tank MY TANK...not a replicate of anyone else's or even similar. Every piecez regardless of SPS, LPS, or softies is unique.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say you won't be tempted by the color variants now but when you see how incredible some are you'll look at them like pure art! That's not a good reason to just buy a coral but if you want one, of course you should find the perfect colors for you! Don't settle for what your LFS typically brings in and charges 600 because it has a stripe in the middle...I'm talking some really out there combinations! For the price of that supposed Wilsoni, I could get 4 Acanthophyllia corals.
Well, the good thing is I am the one requesting certain colonies, though unfortunately only the LFS can buy them so I don't get that wholesale price, thank goodness for the wysiwyg list, I've found wild colonies are usually only priced by size and not color, at least around here

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefkeepers Archive one thing not many on R2R or the majority of the hobby have experienced is being able to buy a completely unique coral that doesn't look exactly like any other piece in the shop. In the west, they cut frags and line up rows of 10-15 identical pieces and to me that just takes away a lot of what I enjoy which is making my tank MY TANK...not a replicate of anyone else's or even similar. Every piecez regardless of SPS, LPS, or softies is unique.
Yep, never brought a frag in my life! I do get decently sized pieces, as them being wild caught and not fragged, some of my favorites is two 5 inch plates of platygyra, a large branch of nemenzophyllia, and a small cluster of lobophyllia

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, never brought a frag in my life! I do get decently sized pieces, as them being wild caught and not fragged, some of my favorites is two 5 inch plates of platygyra, a large branch of nemenzophyllia, and a small cluster of lobophyllia
So many people hobbyists don't know the joy of picking out a truly unique piece (put of all the other unique pieces) that's the perfect piece in your eyes. That's how all the corals, rocks, everything is over here and the fish some shops get in stock you'd never see anywhere else! And for good prices! Hey, if you want to follow me on IG feel free. I just started a new professional account several days ago... @divingdeeperdepths

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, don't even get me started about Christmas Tree Worms! I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked on the internet to see prices there!
Wanted to get one until I saw the price, plus the wrasses I'm getting will probably just eat them,

Also, yes, most of the corals sold here are frags, though you can still get some unique wild pieces, usually only through wholesalers, so I can't personally buy them, for example, this lobo I've had my eye on
Screenshot_20231012_155711_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just wish it wasn't $200, been trying to save up for it

(Also not on IG, sorry)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get one until I saw the price, plus the wrasses I'm getting will probably just eat them,

Also, yes, most of the corals sold here are frags, though you can still get some unique wild pieces, usually only through wholesalers, so I can't personally buy them, for example, this lobo I've had my eye on
Screenshot_20231012_155711_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just wish it wasn't $200, been trying to save up for it

(Also not on IG, sorry)
Hopefully they treat it well until you can save up the money! Some lobos we've gotten are incredible as you can imagine! My favorites have to be the Scolys though!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back