Thinking about building a quarantine tank first, and cycle it...

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been planning my saltwater build thread for months and before posting it decided I might just build and set up a quarantine tank first, then move to the main build. Hopefully my questions below are not repeated, I am not seeing exactly what I'm thinking in the forums... I am not in a rush to set up my bigger tank, so that said, what do you guys think about this:

Tank Size: approx 20-25ish gallons, with standard hang off back/side equipment
LFS piece or two of live rock
As much dry rock that fits comfortably without overcrowding
Bag or two of Caribsea live sand
Dr. Tims cycle
and maybe after cycle put in a couple clowns
after a month or when things show up adding a very small cleanup crew (one goby, few snails, etc)
All this until I get the "big build" done

THEN... can I do this to help with my big tank setup and cycle:
Big tank size approx 120 gallons
Dry rock
Caribsea live sand
Dr. Tims cycle
BUT, can I also pull some of the rock, sand, water from my quarantine tank to help cycle the new/big tank?
After cycle is done

Thanks in advance reefers!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. The only thought I had when reading was, if you want the small tank to become a real quarantine tank once you transition, you will want to move over all the sand and rock when you go to the big. Quarantine tanks typically don't have those things has they can absorb copper medication, if you were to need to use it for treatment. I would have a sponge filter in the small that you can leave in so you don't lose your biodiveristy when you move out the sand and rock.

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. The only thought I had when reading was, if you want the small tank to become a real quarantine tank once you transition, you will want to move over all the sand and rock when you go to the big. Quarantine tanks typically don't have those things has they can absorb copper medication, if you were to need to use it for treatment. I would have a sponge filter in the small that you can leave in so you don't lose your biodiveristy when you move out the sand and rock.
So I would be ok to move 10-50% of the water too?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, great initiative in being committed to QT.

As others have said, calcerous rock and sand will leach copper. I've seen swings up to .2 per day with copper. To ME, That is way too much fluctuation and I prefer the number to stay much more stable.

If you want to do both at the same time you can by starting your sand and live rock for the big tank in a Rubbermaid tub or brute trash can with heater and pump for circulation. You can add any bottled bacteria you want as well as clean sources of established live rock to help seed everything, while you get the quarantine tank set up, the bio filter established between your hang on back or sponge, observing the fish and deciding on a next course of action.

Essentially, you can do both at the same time but I wouldn't be doing it in the same tank.

Last edited:

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good plan.. just dont medicate the small tank. If you need to medicate (copper etc) do it in something else.

When you bump up to the larger tank.. You will still get a small cycle.. but it will help jump start the bigger tank.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first setup of the beg tank, yes, as long as you haven't treated the small tank with any copper medication, you can transfer water from the one tank to the other. I would just make sure your fish definitely don't have any disease before doing so, or you can cross contaminate the larger tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good plan.. just dont medicate the small tank. If you need to medicate (copper etc) do it in something else.

When you bump up to the larger tank.. You will still get a small cycle.. but it will help jump start the bigger tank.
Not being able to medicate in a quarantine tank to me, would make it about worthless.

That's really just creating an observation tank which would need a separate hospital tank companion when medication is called for. Both needing established biofilters.

I'm on back to back qt Cycle #5 or maybe 6.. I have not been able to Not medicate a single one.

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, great initiative in being committed to QT.

As others have said, cancerous rock and sand will leach copper. I've seen swings up to .2 per day with copper. To ME, That is way too much fluctuation and I prefer the number to stay much more stable.

If you want to do both at the same time you can by starting your sand and live rock for the big tank in a Rubbermaid tub or brute trash can with heater and pump for circulation. You can add any bottled bacteria you want as well as clean sources of established live rock to help seed everything, while you get the quarantine tank set up, the bio filter established between your hang on back or sponge, observing the fish and deciding on a next course of action.

Essentially, you can do both at the same time but I wouldn't be doing it in the same tank.
Thanks for the info. Yeah my wife is actually wondering if I'll ever even start... I tend to study and analyze a lot before jumping into things, and I want the best chance for success, while knowing there will always be issues/failures, just want to do what I can to minimize them as much as possible.

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the first setup of the beg tank, yes, as long as you haven't treated the small tank with any copper medication, you can transfer water from the one tank to the other. I would just make sure your fish definitely don't have any disease before doing so, or you can cross contaminate the larger tank.
Yep, if I have to do any treatment before BIG TANK I completely understand nothing will move over.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Yeah my wife is actually wondering if I'll ever even start... I tend to study and analyze a lot before jumping into things, and I want the best chance for success, while knowing there will always be issues/failures, just want to do what I can to minimize them as much as possible.
Jump in homie! The waters warm!!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jump in homie! The waters warm!!
Jimmy Fallon Yes GIF

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped on it, got a 29 gallon Aqueon "all-in-one", 40lbs of caribsea live sand (a bit extra), 25lbs of live rock from LFS (yes live rock from a large tank), 30 gallons of saltwater, a sicce 2000 stream, a Dr. Tims, and also ordered a second sicce on amazon along with a test kit etc. Hope to have the tank up tomorrow!

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped on it, got a 29 gallon Aqueon "all-in-one", 40lbs of caribsea live sand (a bit extra), 25lbs of live rock from LFS (yes live rock from a large tank), 30 gallons of saltwater, a sicce 2000 stream, a Dr. Tims, and also ordered a second sicce on amazon along with a test kit etc. Hope to have the tank up tomorrow!
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t need to add the dr Tim’s, when you add live rock to a tank especially that amount to that size tank it will be instantly cycled. No need for a filter even :)

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, brainfart, no idea why I thought I'd need Dr. Tims with the live rock and the live sand... Guess I had it on my list when I had planned to buy dry rock. That was $35! May see if they will let me return it tomorrow but doubt they will.

Here are 2 picks, too much sand and too little live rock but it works, turned the light on for the pic... may grab 2 more pieces of live rock if they take the Tims back...

20220301_201932.jpg 20220301_231236.jpg

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, brainfart, no idea why I thought I'd need Dr. Tims with the live rock and the live sand... Guess I had it on my list when I had planned to buy dry rock. That was $35! May see if they will let me return it tomorrow but doubt they will.

Here are 2 picks, too much sand and too little live rock but it works, turned the light on for the pic... may grab 2 more pieces of live rock if they take the Tims back...

20220301_201932.jpg 20220301_231236.jpg
Thats some nice rock you got :)

Happy Oh Yeah GIF

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 151 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back