Thinking about getting a new return pump for my 50g. What do you recommend?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by mdbannister, Mar 14, 2019.

1. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

It's been a while since I shopped for a return pump. What are your favorite return pumps? I've got a 50g tank, so which one should I be looking at?

jsker likes this.
    Tags:

2. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

RO Varios 2. Extremely quiet. Plenty of power. DC = low power usage. Parts are available if needed.

jsker, mdbannister and Palluk33 like this.
  3. jsvand5

jsvand5 Active Member

Depends a lot on your budget. I’ve had really good luck with cheap Jebao’s. I have one running on my 90 for about close to three years that I’ve never even cleaned once and I have another on my new 210g. Both silent. I buy more powerful models than I need and then only run them at around 60%-70%. Not sure if it matters but my theory is that it makes them last longer.

jsker, ifrankielin and mdbannister like this.
  4. xAndrewx

xAndrewx Member

I second the jebao if you have budget.
    Their pumps have a much better track record than their power heads.
    Or a red dragon if you have deep pockets.

jsker and mdbannister like this.
  5. jd371

jd371 Valuable Member

Like was mentioned the Jebao are good if you're on a budget, I had one on my tank when I first set it up and ran it for a couple of years with no issues before replacing it. The only reason I replaced it was I wanted a back up pump just in case. The plan was to buy another Jebao but I splurged and went with a Vectra instead and kept the Jebao as the back up. If you want to spend more I can also recommend the Ecotech Vectra, I've been running my S1 for over a year now, super quite and no problems.

6. andrewkw

andrewkw Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

I see no reason to switch from ac return pumps unless you need a very specific flow rate that can't be accomplished by buying a properly sized return pump. I do use a jebao on a secondary tank and it's fine, but my eheim 1262 has been going 24/7 since 2006 without issue.

jsker, mdbannister and S-t-r-e-t-c-h like this.
  7. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

I don't really have a preference of DC vs AC on return pump. I would LOVE to own a Red Dragon or an Abyzz, but I couldn't even think about buying a pump that expensive at this point (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even be allowed to sleep on the couch after that... Haha!). I have thought about getting a Vectra or even a Hydor (anybody used those?) I could also look at an eheim. I'm thinking probably keeping at around 5-7x DT for GPH. A Jebao is an option if they're dependable. My main goal is to get a solid pump that won't leave me hanging later on.

jsker and JoshH like this.
  8. hart24601

hart24601 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Sicce 2 or higher depending on the flow you want. I don't like DC returns unless a specialized situation. Returns are too critical and AC generally run for decades. I put in a T with a valve for sump circulation and also acts as flow control.

jsker, Crabs McJones and mdbannister like this.
  9. jda

jda Valuable Member

If reliability is your chief concern then get a Laguna or Fluval... been running for decades. They are low power draw too.

jsker, JoshH and mdbannister like this.
  10. jda

jda Valuable Member

This might not be an issue for you at all, but we just had a blizzard here and power knocked out some poeple's stuff. I got my generator out and tested it against the tank and all of my AC pumps fired right up. A lot of the locals lost some circuitry on the controllable pumps when run on their generators. ...probably not an issue for most.

11. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

My first return pump was a MAG 9.5....a real workhorse. The only thing I ever had to do to it (other than an occasional cleaning) was replace the stainless steel screws....they rusted out. After about ten years....still running strong....I was on an energy kick and went with a Waveline DC pump....the 6000. I should also mention that I'm a backup fanatic, and always had a backup ready to go. In this case, the MAG is now my backup to the Waveline. Gosh, I'm long-winded today. Anyway, if I had to put a pump in my tank now, I'd go Jebao. I think the quality has improved, but the other consideration is that they are inexpensive enough that you buy two, and have one ready as the back-up.

12. Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

I second the sicce return pumps. using the 3.0 on my tank now and it's been quiet and a real good worker ;)

jsker, JoshH and mdbannister like this.
  13. jda

jda Valuable Member

You cannot really just but two anymore and have one on the shelf. The 37w Laguna is only about $85 and is rock solid... probably 450-500gph at head which is about perfect for a 50g tank. If you ever had to buy a second Jeabo, then you are already more than just getting a good one in the fist place.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 4:18 PM
  14. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

I have used both mag drive and sicce pumps. Both work great.

Have a mag drive on my pond that is going on ~5 years. Lot more wear here branches and impellers dont mix

Dc wise i really like my current loop pump. And current usa customer service is fantastically quick to respond.

15. AdamNC

AdamNC Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I’m using a Sicce 2.0 turned about 1/2 way up on a 40br and the flow is just right imo.

jsker likes this.
  16. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Hospitality Award

+1
    I was all about getting a fancy pump until a purchase a Jebao. been running quietly for almost two years now. Also with the saving one can buy a back up Jabao and still be ahead

What I like about DC is one can by a larger pump and dial it back if need be.;)

17. Big G

Big G captain dunsel R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Had a Jebao but it was so noisy I had to move it out into the garage for use in my mixing station. Works great. Plenty of power. But whinny.

Draft saved Draft deleted