Thinking about getting a new return pump for my 50g. What do you recommend?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been a while since I shopped for a return pump. What are your favorite return pumps? I've got a 50g tank, so which one should I be looking at?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on your budget. I’ve had really good luck with cheap Jebao’s. I have one running on my 90 for about close to three years that I’ve never even cleaned once and I have another on my new 210g. Both silent. I buy more powerful models than I need and then only run them at around 60%-70%. Not sure if it matters but my theory is that it makes them last longer.

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the jebao if you have budget.
Their pumps have a much better track record than their power heads.
Or a red dragon if you have deep pockets.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like was mentioned the Jebao are good if you're on a budget, I had one on my tank when I first set it up and ran it for a couple of years with no issues before replacing it. The only reason I replaced it was I wanted a back up pump just in case. The plan was to buy another Jebao but I splurged and went with a Vectra instead and kept the Jebao as the back up. If you want to spend more I can also recommend the Ecotech Vectra, I've been running my S1 for over a year now, super quite and no problems.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason to switch from ac return pumps unless you need a very specific flow rate that can't be accomplished by buying a properly sized return pump. I do use a jebao on a secondary tank and it's fine, but my eheim 1262 has been going 24/7 since 2006 without issue.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't really have a preference of DC vs AC on return pump. I would LOVE to own a Red Dragon or an Abyzz, but I couldn't even think about buying a pump that expensive at this point (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even be allowed to sleep on the couch after that... Haha!). I have thought about getting a Vectra or even a Hydor (anybody used those?) I could also look at an eheim. I'm thinking probably keeping at around 5-7x DT for GPH. A Jebao is an option if they're dependable. My main goal is to get a solid pump that won't leave me hanging later on.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce 2 or higher depending on the flow you want. I don't like DC returns unless a specialized situation. Returns are too critical and AC generally run for decades. I put in a T with a valve for sump circulation and also acts as flow control.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might not be an issue for you at all, but we just had a blizzard here and power knocked out some poeple's stuff. I got my generator out and tested it against the tank and all of my AC pumps fired right up. A lot of the locals lost some circuitry on the controllable pumps when run on their generators. ...probably not an issue for most.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first return pump was a MAG 9.5....a real workhorse. The only thing I ever had to do to it (other than an occasional cleaning) was replace the stainless steel screws....they rusted out. After about ten years....still running strong....I was on an energy kick and went with a Waveline DC pump....the 6000. I should also mention that I'm a backup fanatic, and always had a backup ready to go. In this case, the MAG is now my backup to the Waveline. Gosh, I'm long-winded today. Anyway, if I had to put a pump in my tank now, I'd go Jebao. I think the quality has improved, but the other consideration is that they are inexpensive enough that you buy two, and have one ready as the back-up.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot really just but two anymore and have one on the shelf. The 37w Laguna is only about $85 and is rock solid... probably 450-500gph at head which is about perfect for a 50g tank. If you ever had to buy a second Jeabo, then you are already more than just getting a good one in the fist place.

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both mag drive and sicce pumps. Both work great.

Have a mag drive on my pond that is going on ~5 years. Lot more wear here branches and impellers dont mix [emoji23]

Dc wise i really like my current loop pump. And current usa customer service is fantastically quick to respond.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on your budget. I’ve had really good luck with cheap Jebao’s. I have one running on my 90 for about close to three years that I’ve never even cleaned once and I have another on my new 210g. Both silent. I buy more powerful models than I need and then only run them at around 60%-70%. Not sure if it matters but my theory is that it makes them last longer.

I second the jebao if you have budget.
Their pumps have a much better track record than their power heads.
Or a red dragon if you have deep pockets.

+1
I was all about getting a fancy pump until a purchase a Jebao. been running quietly for almost two years now. Also with the saving one can buy a back up Jabao and still be ahead

I don't really have a preference of DC vs AC on return pump. I would LOVE to own a Red Dragon or an Abyzz, but I couldn't even think about buying a pump that expensive at this point (I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even be allowed to sleep on the couch after that... Haha!). I have thought about getting a Vectra or even a Hydor (anybody used those?) I could also look at an eheim. I'm thinking probably keeping at around 5-7x DT for GPH. A Jebao is an option if they're dependable. My main goal is to get a solid pump that won't leave me hanging later on.

What I like about DC is one can by a larger pump and dial it back if need be.;)

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Jebao but it was so noisy I had to move it out into the garage for use in my mixing station. Works great. Plenty of power. But whinny.

Back