Thinking About getting back in

mcpiii1124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening everyone,

My name is mike, I am 21 from Orange. I was involved in the club a few years back when I was in high school. I started with a 30 gallon tank that ultimately led to a 125 SPS tank. I also had a 29 bio cube. I still have a ton of equipment laying around and after talking to a friend here at college, I think I've been bitten by the bug to get back into it. I have been talking with my mother about setting up the 29 bio cube at my parents house. she wants to do a clown tank, simple enough, but of course anyone who knows me knows that I have bigger plans. I am still in the planning phases but I think I want to set up the 29 bio cube with 2 clowns and maybe a RBTA depending on lighting. is ORA still breeding those crazy clowns lol? Right now the bio cube has the factory power compacts in it but that's not enough for the RBTA... what do my options look like for LED's. I would prefer to keep the factory hood but I am not opposed to building a small canopy to house an external fixture. the tank will most likely be going in the living room. realistically it will be mostly zoas and maybe a few soft corals max. I want to keep it simple but still have the full reef look to it like I'm used to. I am gone for months on end with internships, sea time and mil. obligations so it will really be my mothers tank. I guess my first question is who is still around from the 2013 era, and what are your recommendations for lighting in a 29 biocube other than the factory PC's.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back Mike. Reef breeders puts out a nice light that can be programmed sunrise /sunset, 6 different channels and is easy on the wallet. I keep my bubble tip under it.
The clown fish are crazy. A lot of different breeders now so the prices have come down on them a little.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back mcpiii1124.

Yeah, you've been bitten by the salty bug again and glad to hear it.

I wasn't on this forum in 2013 but have been salty since 1974 and lots of changes. Several options now on lighting for sure. Are you wanting metal halides or LED's?

Sound like you are serving our great country and I thank you for that.

Let us know what you decide, please.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back