Thinking of going over to Vortech.....but

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Tunze Power heads for years and I still have 2 6095s that at at least 8 years old which are running like they are new. Due to a bad experience with a newer version of the 6095, I have been looking for another powerhead that has the ability to be linked to a battery backup in the event of power failure. That led me to the Vortechs which certainly look good but their pricing is insane. Never owned any Ecotech products so looking for peoples experience. Are they really that good and are they really worth the price tag? I am looking at 4 MP40s.
Any feedback would be gratefully received.

OP
OP
Clownfishy

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I read the title and thought but what?!? I have two mp40s on my 130 and absolutely love them!! But yeah it’s definitely an investment. What size tank do you have?
I am about to upgrade to a 145g and to ensure I don't get any dead spots, I was going to run 4 on a low setting but span all 4 along the back. I would have gone for the MP10s but conveniently for Ecotech, the MP10s have a glass thickness restriction!

How quiet are they, can you hear them spin up?

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to upgrade to a 145g and to ensure I don't get any dead spots, I was going to run 4 on a low setting but span all 4 along the back. I would have gone for the MP10s but conveniently for Ecotech, the MP10s have a glass thickness restriction!

How quiet are they, can you hear them spin up?
In my smaller 25 I have a mp10, it and the mp40s are dead silent.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used Tunze personally so cant compare, but bought 6 MPx0 and overall and will not be buying anymore. Were a big disappointment for me in terms of both performance and durability. Got tired of replacing wetsides frequently and the occasional controller. Of the 6 I have bought in several years I am only still running 1 and the next time that wetside fails I will be done with Vortech for good.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used Tunze personally so cant compare, but bought 6 MPx0 and overall and will not be buying anymore. Were a big disappointment for me in terms of both performance and durability. Got tired of replacing wetsides frequently and the occasional controller. Of the 6 I have bought in several years I am only still running 1 and the next time that wetside fails I will be done with Vortech for good.
Huh that’s a shame idk I’ve had a good experience with them.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that there are any alternatives that keep the cords out of the tank, at least none I’m aware of (A concern for those of us who like puffers!)

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried any kind of Tunze reliability, then skip the MPs. They are fine and will last a few years. They will some early failures too, but plan on new wet sides, software pains and replacements if you even want to get 8 years o it if them. I have had a Tunze product fail early here or there, but for the most part, nothing beats them.

Not that it matters to most people, but Tunze has pumps way larger than mp60s (like super big) and their 6255 moves way more water in my tanks.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had MP10's that were great. They lasted about 8 years. I did have some noise with one but it turned out to be a bad connection. I opened up the driver unit and reseated the connector and the noise went away. The one thing that soured me on Ecotech was the battery backup. I bought 2 units and left them sit before I decided to hook them up. That was my fault but they didn't work when I installed them. Being an EE nerd I popped the box open to see what was going on. The battery backup is nothing more than a battery in a box. No controller, nothing, nada. For the price I bought a battery and trickle charger, wired it up for 20% of the cost of a pretty box.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried any kind of Tunze reliability, then skip the MPs. They are fine and will last a few years. They will some early failures too, but plan on new wet sides, software pains and replacements if you even want to get 8 years o it if them. I have had a Tunze product fail early here or there, but for the most part, nothing beats them.

Not that it matters to most people, but Tunze has pumps way larger than mp60s (like super big) and their 6255 moves way more water in my tanks.
6255 moves more as in further? I dont have mps. But from what I notice mp60 are popular is they push alot of water but it's not a jet. Its so wide of flow it's a gentle stream. Not sure what tunze has that has wide flow. 6105 or 6255

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure that there are any alternatives that keep the cords out of the tank, at least none I’m aware of (A concern for those of us who like puffers!)
Ecotech holds the patent on magnetic coupling through an aquarium wall so you won't see contenders any time soon. How they got it is a mystery but that IP locks out the competition.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with JDA for the most part. I have had four MP's running for about five years, two were new QD's and two were the older ES's. I have replaced three or four wet sides but honestly I think that was mainly my fault by using vinegar. The dry sides have been fine.

Overall I do believe Tunzes are probably more reliable, especially when they get older, there is less software and those types of headaches to deal with. No cords in the tank is nice though.

Scoob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an MP40 15 years ago. The dry side would fall off, get knocked off. So I'm not a huge fan. I know a lot of people love em.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Tunze actually less expensive than vortech? It has been a while since I looked at Tunze, so perhaps things have changed; but a quick perusal suggests to me that comparable models (controllable; similar flow) are not all that different in price. Turbelle 6155 seems broadly comparable to the MP40 and is $400 versus $366. Turbelle 6255 is their largest pump and probably the closest MP60 comparison before you get into 'crazy' territory with something like the masterstream 6550. Much bigger than the MP60, also twice the price.

Flow ratings are weird with powerheads. The MP60 says 7,500 + versus the Tunze 6255 at 4,800+ .... yet a friend of mine who has used both prefers the 6255. He says it has more ooomph ..... whatever that actually means. Not sure how these things are measured for flow, but I think the Tunze trades off velocity for overall flow, so it 'feels' stronger because in a narrow cone, it is. I find MP60s fine on my 8' tank ..... were it 10' I would have seriously considered the mastersteam.

I think there probably is nothing that compares to Tunze reliability. Last time I used some they were still going strong at a decade (I may have had to replace impellers, don't entirely recall). I do have a few MP60 that are close to 8 years old, but all have had periodic wetside replacements and driver upgrades so it's just the motor and power supply that is that old LOL.

Last edited:

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MP40s are completely silent. With the MP10s there can some noise when used in smaller tanks. MPs are very reliable powerheads as long as you don’t soak the wet sides in vinegar or knock or drop the dry side. A lot of people do not use the sticky pad cord cable holder that protects the dry side from falling or smashing into the side of the tank like a wrecking ball.

If you don’t secure the dry side and let it fall down the dry side is going to break sooner or later.

Also, the MP40s work on 3/4” glass but the glass has to be clean and not have a vinyl backing or paint.

I’ve used MPs for over 10 years without any major complaints.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back