Thinking on a Mantis Tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
20L or 40 breeder would be sufficient . I did a mantis tank a few years ago and did not take long for me to get bored with it as I really couldnt place anything in the tank with it and got tired of buying snails for it which it quickly consumed then picking up the shells and finding uneaten frags of meat laying around. theyre a different breed of inverts though and fun to watch hunting.

nmotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20L or 40 breeder would be sufficient . I did a mantis tank a few years ago and did not take long for me to get bored with it as I really couldnt place anything in the tank with it and got tired of buying snails for it which it quickly consumed then picking up the shells and finding uneaten frags of meat laying around. theyre a different breed of inverts though and fun to watch hunting.
Did you have a Peacock? IME, mantis shrimp personalities vary strongly by genus/species. It is true you can’t put a whole lot in a Peacock tank although some succeed with fish. It is entirely possible to grow coral however. I had an SPS tank with a Peacock years ago. So much fun.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you have a Peacock? IME, mantis shrimp personalities vary strongly by genus/species. It is true you can’t put a whole lot in a Peacock tank although some succeed with fish. It is entirely possible to grow coral however. I had an SPS tank with a Peacock years ago. So much fun.
Yes, was a 3" peacock

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A mantis is one that I've always wanted!

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put together a mantis tank. It’s a 40 breeder. I could potentially put you in contact with someone who could get you a peacock if that’s what you’re after. He sourced me a 1 1/2” peacock.
Where did you get the peacock from? I am thinking about getting one soon!!!

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Hi all!
I haven't seen a single credible article about the Mantis Peacock Shrimp. Everywhere they write about how dangerous they are, but in fact they are not evil. They remember the owner, get used to the fish population and know every fish in the aquarium. They never touch these fish. If you want to add a new fish, it's best to plant it further away from the praying mantis shelter so that the fish don't accidentally swim into its hole, otherwise Mantis will kill this fish and throw it out of the hole. Cancer will quickly realize that the new fish is not dangerous for him and will never touch her.
The praying mantis can only kill a frightened fish, which will rush around the aquarium, approaching the praying mantis closely.
I used to have a Peacock Mantis for 9 years and all my fish hid for the night in a very spacious mantis house that I built for him.
As soon as I lowered the net into the aquarium, all my fish always hid in the mantis house. And this is not an isolated case, 4 of my praying mantises behaved in exactly the same way. The first lived 3 years, the rest are much less. I bought them very large.
Males are bright green and always calm, they never hit the owner hard, they scare only when they try to pick up the praying mantis.
Females can be vicious and sometimes it hurts to hit the fingers.
They quickly get used to and can carefully take food from the hands of the owner.
The little peacock mantis is brightly colored as early as 1.5 inches. At a size of 5 inches, the color of the males is more green, the females are slightly yellowish.
They almost never hunt fish.
Shrimp are rarely hunted.
Peacock Mantis prey on Crabs and small snails.
Large snails from 2 inches are of little interest to them.
When you teach a praying mantis to eat shrimp, squid and fish meat directly from your hands or tweezers, your praying mantis will stop hunting altogether and will beg for food from you.
All this information is based only on my personal experience of keeping Peacock Mantis.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I haven't seen a single credible article about the Mantis Peacock Shrimp. Everywhere they write about how dangerous they are, but in fact they are not evil. They remember the owner, get used to the fish population and know every fish in the aquarium. They never touch these fish. If you want to add a new fish, it's best to plant it further away from the praying mantis shelter so that the fish don't accidentally swim into its hole, otherwise Mantis will kill this fish and throw it out of the hole. Cancer will quickly realize that the new fish is not dangerous for him and will never touch her.
The praying mantis can only kill a frightened fish, which will rush around the aquarium, approaching the praying mantis closely.
I used to have a Peacock Mantis for 9 years and all my fish hid for the night in a very spacious mantis house that I built for him.
As soon as I lowered the net into the aquarium, all my fish always hid in the mantis house. And this is not an isolated case, 4 of my praying mantises behaved in exactly the same way. The first lived 3 years, the rest are much less. I bought them very large.
Males are bright green and always calm, they never hit the owner hard, they scare only when they try to pick up the praying mantis.
Females can be vicious and sometimes it hurts to hit the fingers.
They quickly get used to and can carefully take food from the hands of the owner.
The little peacock mantis is brightly colored as early as 1.5 inches. At a size of 5 inches, the color of the males is more green, the females are slightly yellowish.
They almost never hunt fish.
Shrimp are rarely hunted.
Peacock Mantis prey on Crabs and small snails.
Large snails from 2 inches are of little interest to them.
When you teach a praying mantis to eat shrimp, squid and fish meat directly from your hands or tweezers, your praying mantis will stop hunting altogether and will beg for food from you.
All this information is based only on my personal experience of keeping Peacock Mantis.
Good to know thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back