Thinking on switching from reef to predator tank

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 gallon reef tank .. not a lot stuff in it yet ( new to the hobby 5 months in)
I have a few questions

1 how do you keep your tank from getting algae or to that matter clean , without a clean up crew ?

2 how often do you do water changes ?

3 what type of fishes would I be able to have on a tank that I have ... I do have a sump and protein skimmer ...

Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Predator tank term is used pretty loosely, for 1st, what kind of fish are interested in. A 60g is an good size tank for dwarf lions and scorpions. You could have a wartskin angler with other properly sized tankmates. A Hawaiian dwarf eel or maybe even a snowflake eel, though I do prefer an snowflake in a larger tank. All of these predators live fine in a reef, other than the eels you would still be able to have hard bodied inverts and urchins.

If you decide to get rid of the reef, lowering your light intensity and timing for 5 hours of your viewing pleasure would literally stop algae all together. The lower light is actually cool in a predator tank. Adding macro algae with a refugium or reactor will manage your nutrients, and a monthly maintenance with a water change is all that's needed.

If you talking an aggressive tank, then that's a different story, and a 60g would be very limited.

OP
OP
R

Rvs187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Predator tank term is used pretty loosely, for 1st, what kind of fish are interested in. A 60g is an good size tank for dwarf lions and scorpions. You could have a wartskin angler with other properly sized tankmates. A Hawaiian dwarf eel or maybe even a snowflake eel, though I do prefer an snowflake in a larger tank. All of these predators live fine in a reef, other than the eels you would still be able to have hard bodied inverts and urchins.

If you decide to get rid of the reef, lowering your light intensity and timing for 5 hours of your viewing pleasure would literally stop algae all together. The lower light is actually cool in a predator tank. Adding macro algae with a refugium or reactor will manage your nutrients, and a monthly maintenance with a water change is all that's needed.

If you talking an aggressive tank, then that's a different story, and a 60g would be very limited.
Thanks you pretty much answered all my questions , I started looking into some fishes and noticed that most of then need at least 150 gallon tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back