Thinking this is dinos. Can anyone help and provide their input on it?

MinnesotaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research and deciding between cyano or dinos I am starting to think these are dinos. I've read about increasing the temperature of your tank as a means of eliminating them, has anyone done this in their tank?

Aquarium Algae.jpg

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree. dinos looks very likely.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some research and deciding between cyano or dinos I am starting to think these are dinos. I've read about increasing the temperature of your tank as a means of eliminating them, has anyone done this in their tank?

Aquarium Algae.jpg

I am skeptical on temperature helping. Most seem to report no change. UV worked for me, very well.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Aquarium Algae.jpg
Doesnt look that rampant...yet.
Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate.

Broutilde

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to be completely sure is to check-in under a microscope. That will also tell you what strain of dinos it is, which is crucial to eradicate them. For example example, ostreopsis dinos can be killed by UV. Amphidinium dinos won't go in the water column and are not killed by UV, but by inducing a diatom bloom to out compete them.
First thing would be identifying them (post your picture here or on the Facebook group "Dinoflagellates support group" for help) , but also checking your nitrates and phosphates and keep them away from 0 and stable. Dinos are part of your water chemistry, they will always be there. You'll have to "repair" that chemistry by out competing them. Adding phyto, live bacterias etc. when treating ibg/removing them is essential so something else can than dinos will replace that spot they were taking.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back