Thinking Vizio for your next build? Think again!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to thank Scott at Advanced Aqua Tanks for a Riveting discussion today wherein I learned that the Custom ordered Vizio tank, that that was delivered less than a year ago and suffered a catastrophic failure two weeks ago, is only covered for Six months against breakage.

Not once but Twice, it was insinuated that "Their" tank didn't break on its own. And the sentence "if you hit it with a baseball bat, why is that our fault?" Was actually said.... Are you Freaking kidding me?

Advanced Aqua Tanks is a chop shop. They clearly don't stand behind their products, as they are churning out Junk. This is a cautionary tale to anyone considering them for a build.

The tank is covered for 5 years against leakage... Does anyone think this would have leaked??
PXL_20220801_231932346.jpg

Ya, me too.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to thank Scott at Advanced Aqua Tanks for a Riveting discussion today wherein I learned that the Custom ordered Vizio tank, that that was delivered less than a year ago and suffered a catastrophic failure two weeks ago, is only covered for Six months against breakage.

Not once but Twice, it was insinuated that "Their" tank didn't break on its own. And the sentence "if you hit it with a baseball bat, why is that our fault?" Was actually said.... Are you Freaking kidding me?

Advanced Aqua Tanks is a chop shop. They clearly don't stand behind their products, as they are churning out Junk. This is a cautionary tale to anyone considering them for a build.

The tank is covered for 5 years against leakage... Does anyone think this would have leaked??
PXL_20220801_231932346.jpg

Ya, me too.

Looks like a rimless tank too?

I could see a rimmed tank possibly breaking like that, but a rimless tank on a mat should have more than enough surface area in contact to prevent anything like that from ever happening.

I am so sorry that this happened to you bro. If you are up for a rimmed tank, I got mine from Aquarium Masters in Chino. They are the supplier for my LFS up here. Got a dual overflow 135g rimmed tank for $700 from my LFS. You might get a better deal if you can go direct from the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope

I could see a rimmed tank possibly breaking like that, but a rimless tank on a mat should have more than enough surface area in contact to prevent anything like that from ever happening.

I am so sorry that this happened to you bro. If you are up for a rimmed tank, I got mine from Aquarium Masters in Chino. They are the supplier for my LFS up here. Got a dual overflow 135g rimmed tank for $700 from my LFS. You might get a better deal if you can go direct from the manufacturer.

The tank is Fully rimmed. I had them drill all of the holes and install the overflow because that is a requirement of their warranty.

With a dead flat 72-in stand, close cell interface pad under the entire bottom frame and a thick sandbed protecting the bottom, There is no excuse for this to happen.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope

The tank is Fully rimmed. I had them drill all of the holes and install the overflow because that is a requirement of their warranty.

With a dead flat 72-in stand, close cell interface pad under the entire bottom frame and a thick sandbed protecting the bottom, There is no excuse for this to happen.

I fully agree.

It is hard to tell for sure from the posted photo if it was rimmed or not.

My tank has only been up for a month so I guess it is too soon to say. It looks very well built. I do not see any failure points in any of the seams, and the glass panels look good. Of course, I am sure yours looked good too when you got it or you would never have filled it.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully agree.

It is hard to tell for sure from the posted photo if it was rimmed or not.

My tank has only been up for a month so I guess it is too soon to say. It looks very well built. I do not see any failure points in any of the seams, and the glass panels look good. Of course, I am sure yours looked good too when you got it or you would never have filled it.
Everything looked Serviceable. The silicone was Everywhere when I took delivery, but that's more of a fit and finish/qc issue.

There were no issues with the tank, until a loud Pop and 150g flowing out the bottom in under a minute.

The stand is dead flat, checked with a 48" machinist edge.

The disgusting attitude presented forward by Advanced Aqua Tanks would have been Laughable, if there wasn't $1000 on the line.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happened?
That we know of, nothing.

I was getting coffee at 9am in the kitchen, tank was still dark. At the same time my son and I heard a pop, and Rushing water. The tank was empty in under a minute. As you can see, the bottom panel, just Fractured, dropping onto the stand below leaving 1" gap all around at the brake line.
That is terrible! How bad was the collateral damage to your home?
I was lucky to be home when it happened. We have a split level. Ceramic tile on slab up top, engineered hardwood on slab bottom.

Immediately after the break, water on the floor was up over the top of my foot. All of that ended up flowing to the lower level. It destroyed two rooms worth of hardwood flooring and that's it. I am very lucky in that regard. I also laid the tile and installed the tall baseboards, which were heavily siliconed to detour any water incursion. That worked. No damage other than flooring. The drywall didn't even get wet Next to the tank.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That we know of, nothing.

I was getting coffee at 9am in the kitchen, tank was still dark. At the same time my son and I heard a pop, and Rushing water. The tank was empty in under a minute. As you can see, the bottom panel, just Fractured, dropping onto the stand below leaving 1" gap all around at the brake line.

I was lucky to be home when it happened. We have a split level. Ceramic tile on slab up top, engineered hardwood on slab bottom.

Immediately after the break, water on the floor was up over the top of my foot. All of that ended up flowing to the lower level. It destroyed two rooms worth of hardwood flooring and that's it. I am very lucky in that regard. I also laid the tile and installed the tall baseboards, which were heavily siliconed to detour any water incursion. That worked. No damage other than flooring. The drywall didn't even get wet Next to the tank.
Smelled like the beach for a few days, I am sure... Glad it was not worse.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smelled like the beach for a few days, I am sure... Glad it was not worse.
That makes me chuckle.. for the first few days, every one of my kids that would come downstairs in the morning would have to comment that it smells bad or like I'm doing a water change....

More like a glass box change.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me chuckle.. for the first few days, every one of my kids that would come downstairs in the morning would have to comment that it smells bad or like I'm doing a water change....

More like a glass box change.
I have coined my own digital acronym. CSTM = chuckling softly to myself. I wish I could sell it!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked that they wont cover this. Obviously the bottom panel was defective. I am astounded by the "Hit it with a baseball bat comment" cause yeah, we all regularly hit the bottom panel with anything.

I doubt you will get any satisfaction from the vendor. Seems to me their position is "Your problem, not ours". With all of the money we invest in these systems, and all of the variables that can cause an issue, the ONE thing we would all hope would be reliable is the tank itself.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked that they wont cover this. Obviously the bottom panel was defective. I am astounded by the "Hit it with a baseball bat comment" cause yeah, we all regularly hit the bottom panel with anything.

I doubt you will get any satisfaction from the vendor. Seems to me their position is "Your problem, not ours". With all of the money we invest in these systems, and all of the variables that can cause an issue, the ONE thing we would all hope would be reliable is the tank itself.
You and me both. I was taken aback the first time. Probably shouldn't have been when the conversation started with something like "hi, I've just recently had a catastrophic failure on a 180 your team built and was delivered less than a year ago" for him to respond with "that's not under warranty and not our fault" having ZERO other information.

Scott's Arrogance alone and the way he was speaking makes me think he's been hit with a baseball bat a few times.

My LFS who the order was placed through, is pi ss ed, as they should be. It's not a good look for anyone.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said. I got my tank from Aquarium Masters in Chino. I wish I had years of use to quote to say "yeah dude you need to just go here". Unfortunately, this is not the case. I can say that my 135 is a beautiful tank so far, but a month is not long enough to be a reliable recommendation. Perhaps someone else has more experience with them?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
:crying-face:

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ridiculous. Sorry you had to go through that

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've bought directly from Aquarium Masters back in the day, they turn out decent stuff.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back