This aggression will not stand, man

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit stumped here, 20G AIO, 4 months old with 2 domino clowns, RG, YWG, trochus snails (x2) & 3-4 hermits. Parameters have been very stable once the tank cycled, even then the numbers didn’t skyrocket. Today my nitrates were 40 ppm? PH (8), Ammonia (0), nitrites (0) & salinity (1.024). My last test about a week ago, almost the same but nitrates were 5-10 ppm. What happened or changed since then..

1. I added 4 small frags (Xenia, gps, Zoa & ??)
2. Feeding schedule hasn’t changed, blend of brine & mysis shrimp every other day
3. 1 snail died & presumed consumed by said crabs
4. Lost AC for 2 days causing tank temp to rise to 89
5. I changed my scape, moved a few rocks around & added 3-4 palm sized that was sitting in plastic bag in garage. Leftovers from my original purchase.

Theories?

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit stumped here, 20G AIO, 4 months old with 2 domino clowns, RG, YWG, trochus snails (x2) & 3-4 hermits. Parameters have been very stable once the tank cycled, even then the numbers didn’t skyrocket. Today my nitrates were 40 ppm? PH (8), Ammonia (0), nitrites (0) & salinity (1.024). My last test about a week ago, almost the same but nitrates were 5-10 ppm. What happened or changed since then..

1. I added 4 small frags (Xenia, gps, Zola & ??)
2. Feeding schedule hasn’t changed, blend of brine & mysis shrimp every other day
3. 1 snail died & presumed consumed by said crabs
5. I changed my scape, moved a few rocks around & added 3-4 palm sized that was sitting in plastic bag in garage. Leftovers from my original purchase.

Theories?
A tank at almost 90 could be cause for the spike maybe took that long for the die off to happen from very high temps

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty ***’ing interesting. Do tell..
If the rock was previously wet/live, then sat in the open air, and you didn't do anything to cure it, then I would expect for it to release organics into your tank.

It is also possible that moving around existing rocks could release a considerable amount of organics if your tank is fairly dirty with lots of detritus sitting in/under your rocks.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the rock I added was 100% dry (never used), but I did kick up a bunch of crap under the rocks.

I typically do my water changes every other weekend, sounds like I need one tomorrow to get rid of the gunk. My filter floss did look like it was about 3 months old & I just changed it during my last water change a week ago.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the rock I added was 100% dry (never used), but I did kick up a bunch of crap under the rocks.

I typically do my water changes every other weekend, sounds like I need one tomorrow to get rid of the gunk. My filter floss did look like it was about 3 months old & I just changed it during my last water change a week ago.
Sounds like a good plan, you could also change your filter floss more often, and use a turkey baster or small powerhead to blow any detritus off your rocks and allow your filter floss to remove it. I do this as part of my regular maintenance (a few times per week).

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, might need to go to weekly filter floss changes. I also moved my powerhead to the opposite side of my tank (same side as my sump) and it was very cloudy for a few hours. I figured that’s what was in my filter floss but didn’t think about the detritus.

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dry and unused does not mean internally antiseptic and devoid of organics. There was some form of life in it before it was harvested, even if that was from the side of a cliff. The harvesting company probably didn’t cure it, you didn’t cure it, hence whatever it had before harvest is now breaking down in your system.

Also, assuming you have substrate, if you pull a handful and drop it back into the water is there a dust cloud?

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today my nitrates were 40 ppm? PH (8), Ammonia (0), nitrites (0) & salinity (1.024). My last test about a week ago, almost the same but nitrates were 5-10 ppm. What happened or changed since then..

How long ago was this?

A tank at almost 90 could be cause for the spike maybe took that long for the die off to happen from very high temps

IMO this sounds like the most likely culprit. It could be that your tank cycled again due to die off from the temperature spike, and the ammonia was processed off into nitrates before you could test the water.

The only other thing I could imagine is your re-scape. Not adding the dry rock, but moving the existing live rock. I've heard of folks that re-scape and turn over big pieces of live rock, which causes die off of all the organisms that used to be facing "up" receiving light.

Either way, feels like die off is the most likely cause. My two cents, at least.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I've moved around aquascape in an established tank, I ended up fighting algae because the nutrient levels went up. It wasn't a big deal in my case(s) but it did take a while to get back under control. The only part of the equation that stump me is the tank was only 4 months old. When I've moved things around in the past it's always been on longer established system.

OP
OP
LeftFootedJedi

LeftFootedJedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good points, the AC issue was last Thursday & Friday so the tank had 3 days to recover. I was also putting little bags of ice in the sump to try & keep it as cool as possible. No leaks & I changed bags every 2-3 hrs.

Back to the nitrates, never considered how changing my scape would impact everything!! Never again. Probably not a bad idea to buy a Turbostart in the event it recycled.. what could it hurt adding more bacteria?

eag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the nitrates, never considered how changing my scape would impact everything!! Never again.

Not necessarily the re-scape, just a possibility. I missed the 4 month old part, and would tend to agree with @Justin Cook... Newer rock is less likely to cause that kind of problem.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Trochus was good sized, I say snail was part of it.
Have any more of the dry rock? Agree that dry rock can cause havoc.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back