This aint my week tank may be leaking

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tanks old enough that the trim is falling off the bottom I have no idea if the bottom was already chipped under the trim or if its from moving my tank a couple years ago. I had a mini crash from setting up a new sump and found this in the back corner of my tank while looking for problems. Forgive the cobwebs etc haven't looked at the back against the wall in a long time. It looks like water staining by the chip but theres no moisture its dry and no moisture under the stand or in the 2x6 supports. At first I thought the pane was installed/settled off level but its a chip going a quarter of an inch in. Glass is 3/4 inch thick. So tear down or patch with silicone? Thoughts?

Tank was running as a freshwater for 3 years before being torn down and moved and has been sitting there just over a year

20220212_124234.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the tank or tear it down and redo all the silicone. Just for piece of mind.
You might replace that one panel too.

OP
OP
N.Sreefer

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try flex seal and that might work well and good luck
Thanks I was thinking silicone but ill try flex seal if itll work better
Hard to see the chip, better pic?
Is it possible you spilt water at some time back there?
After taking this pic it does look like its been chipped awhile Its probable that I spilled water back there while setting up my new sump.

20220212_131957.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So my tanks old enough that the trim is falling off the bottom I have no idea if the bottom was already chipped under the trim or if its from moving my tank a couple years ago. I had a mini crash from setting up a new sump and found this in the back corner of my tank while looking for problems. Forgive the cobwebs etc haven't looked at the back against the wall in a long time. It looks like water staining by the chip but theres no moisture its dry and no moisture under the stand or in the 2x6 supports. At first I thought the pane was installed/settled off level but its a chip going a quarter of an inch in. Glass is 3/4 inch thick. So tear down or patch with silicone? Thoughts?

Tank was running as a freshwater for 3 years before being torn down and moved and has been sitting there just over a year

20220212_124234.jpg
Looks like light seepage but it’s there
Best way to pinpoint it is to wipe clean and look with flashlight for exact location
Once located, you will UNFORTUNATELY have to drain tank but you CAN save the water in brute type cans and place any livestock in them with aeration and light
Thereafter, fill tank with freshwater or even hose area to rid of salt residue and algae
Then take sharp razor blade and cut away silicone towards the corner so that you can literally unzip it
Next take razor and scrape away remaining silicone and then wipe clean with alcohol
Get tube of aqueon aquarium sealant- not silicone and squeeze into very corner all the across then wet your index finger and create a nice uniform bead
Allow to dry one or more full day and then fill tank with water and leak test tank
If all good, go ahead and reset tank

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 76 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back