Cracked Tank - Outside

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this tank from a local who needed to rehome it. Was fine on the take down and they delivered it. Was late when I tucked it in the garage for a few days. Well i took down my other tank and got this one all ready to go.

On inspection, the bottom corner in the front got chipped. Thinking it happened in transport. Is this fixable? I have silicone on hand. All my coral and fish are in buckets waiting to go in. Is this done for?
IMG_9052.jpeg
IMG_9053.jpeg
IMG_9054.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this tank from a local who needed to rehome it. Was fine on the take down and they delivered it. Was late when I tucked it in the garage for a few days. Well i took down my other tank and got this one all ready to go.

On inspection, the bottom corner in the front got chipped. Thinking it happened in transport. Is this fixable? I have silicone on hand. All my coral and fish are in buckets waiting to go in. Is this done for?
IMG_9052.jpeg
IMG_9053.jpeg
IMG_9054.jpeg
That looks sketch to be honest. Being cracked like that could damage the i tergity of that whole seam. If it were. Small chip maybe but that much gone on a bottom corner thats load bearing and holds the tank together would make me not want to risk that at all

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9052.jpeg
IMG_9053.jpeg
IMG_9054.jpeg
How large? I have a similar chip on a 23g tank. Happend when I tilted the tank during cleaning. Especially annoying because the tank was only 6 months old at that time. I removed the glass chippings and filled the cavity with silicone. Just for cosmetic reasons though. The tank was still watertight after removing the chippings. Works for now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_9052.jpeg
IMG_9053.jpeg
IMG_9054.jpeg
Having repaired Many tanks, this looks like one that will continue to weaken and split into the seam unfortunately

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large? I have a similar chip on a 23g tank. Happend when I tilted the tank during cleaning. Especially annoying because the tank was only 6 months old at that time. I removed the glass chippings and filled the cavity with silicone. Just for cosmetic reasons though. The tank was still watertight after removing the chippings. Works for now.
Its a 40 gallon tank, just built a new stand for it too.

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do you think it will keep long enough until I can find a replacement? I have some silicone I can squirt in there. Not sure it will help.
silicone is a sealant, not a strengthener. My trust would be in a rubbermaid like tub

1703564743485.png

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9052.jpeg
IMG_9053.jpeg
IMG_9054.jpeg
Sorry buddy,. I would not trust that tank.

I think it will spread and end up as disaster :☹️

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know a similar tank that is 24 x 20 inches? I am looking for new Nuvo tanks and they only sell them with the stand. There is one local, but it is way over price.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a tank by Liquid Art but only sells with the stand. The Fiji Cube 32 looks like a solid option.

So I found the original post of this for sale and it always had the crack... so like it was running for years with this crack. I am not going to run it... my partner wont let me since we rent, but I am tempted.

From Seller:

392591285_6755206254562707_3989873846770875896_n.jpg

From today, look at the stand I spent all night building!

IMG_9055.jpg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just slightly wider than my stand. So it will not work, but after some more research, I may just consider a Fiji cube AIO or EXT model and use the 10 gal modified as the sump.
The RS170 width should be the same as your IM. 23.6" I have a IM40 sitting on top of a 170 stand right now. (See my build thread) the dims on BRS are wrong. You probably can find a used one for cheap.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox 35.2? Appears to be correct dimension
Yes that would work too! I would need to find one without a stand. GTK, thank you!

I am kinda falling for the EXT overflows and want to do a sump. It would be a real upgrade from the AIO. I have quite a bit of equipment to sell, I can probably save up for something really nice.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The RS170 width should be the same as your IM. 23.6" I have a IM40 sitting on top of a 170 stand right now. (See my build thread) the dims on BRS are wrong. You probably can find a used one for cheap.
Will keep my eye out for one, I always wanted a Red Sea tbh but lately the press isnt looking so good. Why do you suspect so many broken seal stories?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple options that get you to the measurements listed:

Good luck in your search!

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple options that get you to the measurements listed:

Good luck in your search!
I have the 24 by 24 by 12 AA, it’s a really nice tank, super clear.
To the OP, I just literally gave a IM40 fusion away, if only you lived closer.
IMO the AA is the way to go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back