This guy just converted his fuzzy dwarf lion onto frozen! (Lionfish frozen converting guide)

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe I finally did it! Today.... I witnessed my fuzzy dwarf, of whom I’ve fought relentlessly with for over a month, has finally taken and accepted a bite of frozen mysis/brine shrimp! Time for my antennata next....

I will share my knowledge and learning experiences to everyone, and how I got my fuzzy dwarf onto frozen.

Step 1 - Make sure he’s eating something. I recommend gut loaded freshwater ghost shrimp to start off with. Mine personally took to this immediately. I would not recommend feeder freshwater fish, as these can have a negative affect on the liver. I wouldn’t even recommend keeping them on ghost shrimp forever. I’d recommend 2-3 weeks maximum.

Step 2 - Attempt to switch onto dead ghost shrimp. What I did was crush the ghost shrimps head at first, so that way due to their nerves they still convulse, however aren’t alive. This became an incentive for my lion to take it. It’s almost like tricking it into thinking it’s live. Next, I started freezing the ghost shrimp and giving it to the lion. He and my antennata took willingly to it.

Step 3 - Switch onto krill enhanced with garlic. Now here’s where it got tricky for me. I’ve also heard it all with krill and how it negatively affects gut impaction. However, this is what worked for me. This was a very odd phase for me. First, I fed plain krill, as it looked similar to the dead ghost shrimp, albeit color. They went for it however immediately spat and turned around in disgust. Later, I tried garlic with the krill by soaking it in chopped garlic. I fed it to them via tongs and eventually the antennata and fuzzy both took one, however definitely didn’t like it, as they haven’t eaten another since.

Step 4 - Convert to frozen mysis or brine through spontaneous luck. I’ll be honest people, I do not know how this happened. Today, I witnessed my fuzzy take a piece of mysis, and then a second, and then a third! I thought my eyes deceived me for a second! Again, I do not know how this happened. I did not starve the lion whatsoever. In fact I did the exact opposite. I forced the frozen on them daily, even with live food in the tank.

Epilogue - Do I advise all of what I’ve done to convert my fuzzy to frozen? No. It hasn’t even worked on my antennata yet either! So I’m not aware if I actually caused some science to happen or if Santa Claus paid me an early, hidden visit! Try this technique if you will with your own picky lionfish, however, I am not responsible for damage or death of your livestock due to following my method.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1552.JPG

Here’s a pic of the beauty

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe I finally did it! Today.... I witnessed my fuzzy dwarf, of whom I’ve fought relentlessly with for over a month, has finally taken and accepted a bite of frozen mysis/brine shrimp! Time for my antennata next....

I will share my knowledge and learning experiences to everyone, and how I got my fuzzy dwarf onto frozen.

Step 1 - Make sure he’s eating something. I recommend gut loaded freshwater ghost shrimp to start off with. Mine personally took to this immediately. I would not recommend feeder freshwater fish, as these can have a negative affect on the liver. I wouldn’t even recommend keeping them on ghost shrimp forever. I’d recommend 2-3 weeks maximum.

Step 2 - Attempt to switch onto dead ghost shrimp. What I did was crush the ghost shrimps head at first, so that way due to their nerves they still convulse, however aren’t alive. This became an incentive for my lion to take it. It’s almost like tricking it into thinking it’s live. Next, I started freezing the ghost shrimp and giving it to the lion. He and my antennata took willingly to it.

Step 3 - Switch onto krill enhanced with garlic. Now here’s where it got tricky for me. I’ve also heard it all with krill and how it negatively affects gut impaction. However, this is what worked for me. This was a very odd phase for me. First, I fed plain krill, as it looked similar to the dead ghost shrimp, albeit color. They went for it however immediately spat and turned around in disgust. Later, I tried garlic with the krill by soaking it in chopped garlic. I fed it to them via tongs and eventually the antennata and fuzzy both took one, however definitely didn’t like it, as they haven’t eaten another since.

Step 4 - Convert to frozen mysis or brine through spontaneous luck. I’ll be honest people, I do not know how this happened. Today, I witnessed my fuzzy take a piece of mysis, and then a second, and then a third! I thought my eyes deceived me for a second! Again, I do not know how this happened. I did not starve the lion whatsoever. In fact I did the exact opposite. I forced the frozen on them daily, even with live food in the tank.

Epilogue - Do I advise all of what I’ve done to convert my fuzzy to frozen? No. It hasn’t even worked on my antennata yet either! So I’m not aware if I actually caused some science to happen or if Santa Claus paid me an early, hidden visit! Try this technique if you will with your own picky lionfish, however, I am not responsible for damage or death of your livestock due to following my method.
Nice, super informative! Congrats on your success and thanks for sharing ;)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little info, for the fuzzy to maintain on frozen mysis and similar food, he will have to consume almost an entire cube by himself and not down the overflow, about 2-3 times a week. If you are feeding dead food, they need to target fed chunky bits of meat until you see a little bulge in his belly. Many people see these guys grabbing bits of mysis and similar food from the water column and think all is well, they are rarely getting enough to sustain, and over a few months just waste away. I only tell you this because I have heard this story many times.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little info, for the fuzzy to maintain on frozen mysis and similar food, he will have to consume almost an entire cube by himself and not down the overflow, about 2-3 times a week. If you are feeding dead food, they need to target fed chunky bits of meat until you see a little bulge in his belly. Many people see these guys grabbing bits of mysis and similar food from the water column and think all is well, they are rarely getting enough to sustain, and over a few months just waste away. I only tell you this because I have heard this story many times.

Wow! Does that mean I need to start getting him trained on frozen grocery store shrimp? I thought I was done fighting with the little guy! Oh well.... guess that’s what a hobby is all about, the challenge.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my fuzzy dwarf I could get him to eat nice size pieces of krill on the end of a stick just waving in front of him. Just be careful it was one of my favorite fish to feed. Dustin

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Does that mean I need to start getting him trained on frozen grocery store shrimp? I thought I was done fighting with the little guy! Oh well.... guess that’s what a hobby is all about, the challenge.

When i worked at a lfs I got dozen of different lionfish onto frozen foods and ime once they begin to take dead food it's pretty easy to get them onto almost anything. They are greedy fish and it is just as easy to over feed them as underfeed them so I'd follow lion kings advice above and try feeding bigger food items but less often. If they are hungry (and it's hunger thats sometimes the key to getting them going) they should take mussel, cockle, prawn, large mysis like pe, krill, squid, whitefish or anything you dangle in front of it (I've had lions regularly take flake and pellet foods).

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish indeed!

I got one similar about a month ago got him to eat krill in about 2 weeks my trick was to make sure what ever was dead had actual eyes, noticed that he would ignore it if it wasn’t positioned right if I showed him an upside down krill he would ignore it flip it he would go on hunt mode, after I figured that out i would use a straw and kinda animate it he would hesitate but take it that only took about 4 days straight but once he figured out I’m the provider he Would take anything fleshy I offer him but still would only take it from the tongs, I’m guessing he’s assimilating Tongs with food. These fishes are very opportunistic my turkey is green and he’s noticing when that’s on my hand it’s chow time because he could be against a rock as soon as I flash it he gets aggressive. Here’s a pic for anyone trying any tricks to get these guys to eat. Btw I think I have a twin of your lionfish lol

D0B1E7E1-E187-4F50-8D2F-A76AAAE91B3F.jpeg

8C83F803-30AA-4985-BD5C-88CA366F9B1A.jpeg

7662D3F7-BCAF-44BD-BEA9-8913668BFB91.jpeg

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish indeed!

I got one similar about a month ago got him to eat krill in about 2 weeks my trick was to make sure what ever was dead had actual eyes, noticed that he would ignore it if it wasn’t positioned right if I showed him an upside down krill he would ignore it flip it he would go on hunt mode, after I figured that out i would use a straw and kinda animate it he would hesitate but take it that only took about 4 days straight but once he figured out I’m the provider he Would take anything fleshy I offer him but still would only take it from the tongs, I’m guessing he’s assimilating Tongs with food. These fishes are very opportunistic my turkey is green and he’s noticing when that’s on my hand it’s chow time because he could be against a rock as soon as I flash it he gets aggressive. Here’s a pic for anyone trying any tricks to get these guys to eat. Btw I think I have a twin of your lionfish lol

D0B1E7E1-E187-4F50-8D2F-A76AAAE91B3F.jpeg

8C83F803-30AA-4985-BD5C-88CA366F9B1A.jpeg

7662D3F7-BCAF-44BD-BEA9-8913668BFB91.jpeg

Very helpful indeed, and wow! Our two lionfish do look very similar indeed. Perhaps they are twins of some sort! I’m from PA so you’re not that far from me. Maybe same supplier?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can figure very creative ways to get your lion to take enough food, if you got him eating from a straw or turkey baster by starting with a fresh dead ghosties, you could even fill the straw /baster up with mysis. He will likely then just hang there while just gently squirted out the mysis. Turning off the pumps help with this. and PE mysis is a much meatier meal. Stick feeding is also an option, and switching out whatever he is eating to a different variety. Fuzzies are the easiest, the antennata will likely be much more challenging. I dont use any of these tricks because I find feeding live much more rewarding and beneficial.

OP
OP
AbnormalReefer

AbnormalReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woop! Finally got the antennata on krill. I know it’s not idea though so I will try to switch to something more healthful

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back