lionfish 50g

getreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have been looking into lionfish recently, the dwarf fuzzy and mombasa.

i'm looking to get another tank for my new home and was wondering if i should start researching these guys.

before i do though:

1. 50g ok for these fish?
2. are blenny, wrasse, and maroon clown out of the question to house with the lion?
3. what other fish could i potentially stock this tank with if there is a lion?
4. are shrimp out of the question?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 gallon is probably borderline for a dwarf. What are the dimensions?

Blennies or wrasses, you'll have to be more specific. Big groups of fishes there. Maroon clown would be fine if sized appropriately compared to the lion, but a maroon clown can own a tank. Tankmates will be tough, since a lot of fishes that are big enough would, themselves, need more room.

I wouldn't keep shrimp that I cared about with a lion, even a dwarf. Maybe coral banded with a juvenile lion.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not kept the dwarf or medium bodied lions before, you may find some useful information in many of my threads. Click my name and "find all threads".

OP
OP
getreefed

getreefed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have not kept the dwarf or medium bodied lions before, you may find some useful information in many of my threads. Click my name and "find all threads".
read few quite a bit of your threads and it's a shame about the mombasas being so difficult to keep alive.

i'll hold off for now and possibly look back into a predator tank a few years from now after i've had more experience with the 50g.

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a fu man chu in a JBJ 65. Anything is game man. Even a fish you think is too big to fit in its mouth, will fit in it's mouth. My Fu is 4/5 dottybacks as food. 2 neons, 2 sunrise. Dottybacks are not slow stupid ****. My Springeri, which has been in the tank the entire time with the fu, is the only dottyback survivor.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was in a 70 gallon but moved her to my 125. Smallest fish I keep with her (and my volitan lion) are mandarin dragonets and Mo my midas blenny. He actually swims around my fuzzy all the time and she never looks twice at him but I keep my predators well fed. Only casualty Ive had was a cleaner wrasse go missing, but to be honest I think that was my Jeweled eel who ate him

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back