ESamson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Reefers!

I was asked to introduce my tank by the admins so here goes... (thanks for the add, looking forward to reading you and learning more, I've been learning a lot from you in silence till now).

Red Sea Reefer XL 200, 4 months old, my first reef tank (had a salt water aquarium in the 90s before). I took my time doing my NS aquascape BRS style, with Marco rock and that was fun.

Inhabitants:
- my first two "test" corals added this week, at 4 months, since the tank started (let me know if you can specifically identify what kind they are): a duncan and a toadstool leather (does he look sad? It came with hitchhikers so I had to mess with him a lot in a quarantine tank and not sure it will ever open again?
- 2 baby ocellaris clownfish that keep being hosted by one of my powerbeads in the back and are too shy to be seen or photographed (let me know if you have any suggestions on what coral to buy to host them and how to do it, I've heard I probably don't want anemonae in a reef tank)
- 5 blue green chromis that get along together very well, you can't feed enough I may or may not have named Caterina, Enrico, Giuseppe and Mona Lisa after Luca's goatfish (on of my kids' favorite Pixar movie)
- 2 red blood fire shrimp that also seem to get along very well together and come out to meet me (as their food source) every time I approach the tank
- 5 Mexican turbo snails that I got because I though I was getting an algae problem but now I think I feed with herbivore pellets that may or may not be driving my phosphates up (any suggestions on how to make sure they don't starve appreciated)
- 6 nassarius snails
- lots of copepods, phytoplankton and chaetomorpha in the huge (I used to keep sea lettuce when chaeto was hard to find, but it suddenly died on me not sure why)
- lots of coralline in a bottle spores that hopefully will start hatching after 10 weeks as intended (this is week 8 of 10 but who's counting)

IMG_4442.jpg IMG_4445.jpg IMG_4426.jpg IMG_4427.jpg IMG_4428.jpg IMG_4429.jpg IMG_4436.jpg IMG_4435.jpg IMG_4432.jpg IMG_4430.jpg IMG_4441.jpg IMG_4440.jpg IMG_4439.jpg IMG_4437.jpg

OP
OP
E

ESamson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! With the little rookie knowledge I have, I attempted to design the aquascape for flow... but I think I totally forgot about light. I started paying attention afterwards and noticed that the best rock works are built in a pyramid shape, which likely helps manage your light levels. Mine creates a lot of shaded areas. Though I've been learning some corals like that... so we'll see. :)

Back