This is dinos, yeah?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running with bottomed out nutrients for a while. This is dinos, yes? It's a stringy, slimy mess with bubbles trapped inside it, and the algaescape seems to change every day. The sea hare does eat it, but nowhere near fast enough. No definitive IDs yet.

Gimme a sec.... images didn't attach

1698818336195.png
1698818312272.png
1698818319768.png
1698818346164.png

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking too good. Does it blow off the rocks and come back after a bit? First thing I'd do is make sure NO3 and PO4 are not bottomed out at zero--if so, find a way to bring them up to ~2-5ppm / 0.03-0.1ppm, respectively. Best bet is to put it under a microscope. If no microscope, second thing I'd do is start running UV 24/7 in case it is ostreopsis dinos or, to a lesser extent, prorocentrum dinos. If prorocentrum, I'd also start dosing something like Fiji mud or AF Life Source--hopefully the diverse microfauna begins to outcompete the dinos. If amphidinium, I'd go whole hog on Fiji mid + live rock rubble + work diligently on nutrient management.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking too good. Does it blow off the rocks and come back after a bit? First thing I'd do is make sure NO3 and PO4 are not bottomed out at zero--if so, find a way to bring them up to ~2-5ppm / 0.03-0.1ppm, respectively. Best bet is to put it under a microscope. If no microscope, second thing I'd do is start running UV 24/7 in case it is ostreopsis dinos or, to a lesser extent, prorocentrum dinos. If prorocentrum, I'd also start dosing something like Fiji mud or AF Life Source--hopefully the diverse microfauna begins to outcompete the dinos. If amphidinium, I'd go whole hog on Fiji mid + live rock rubble + work diligently on nutrient management.
Yeah, takes a bit more blasting than I expected but it comes off just with the turkey baster. I’m not exceptionally worried. Was gonna say I needed to bring a sample to the school microscope to id it but I think I’ll just start out with dosing nitrates(still has detectible phos) and see how much that helps. It’s certainly much easier to rip off the rocks than hair.
Unfortunately I don’t have enough space for a UV, so I have to do this the old fashioned way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back