This is just a general talk about my situation

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m 15 years old, I’ve always loved aquariums ever since I was a kid I had one and I’ve been through many hobbies and then I recently took the aquarium Hobby a lot more seriously and my first big tank was a 30 gallon freshwater tank, it’s actually doing really well, I’ve always loved saltwater tanks and I felt like I just needed to have a saltwater tank to I used my old 5 gallon tank and made it into an all in one nano tank and I’ve learned so many things about the whole saltwater hobby and I just wanted one more tank so that’s why I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank that I’m in the process of building but the only problem is that me and my family aren’t that wealthy of people like sure we do have a niceish house and we can pay our bills on time but that’s it we don’t have cable or WiFi my family only gets the things that are important like a used car because we needed one and thats all we could afford im going to sum everything up, my parents can’t help me with anything of my hobby I have to buy everything myself and do everything myself my parents just don’t have the money to help me out with anything and I have been looking for a job and I do have one now it’s just I don’t want my reef tank to be some cheap looking tank I want everything to look good and actually be a healthy tank but I just don’t have the money so i don’t know what to do my parents think I should just give up the hobby and focus on being an adult and growing up so yea

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hear you! This hobby is very expensive. It’s called a rich mans hobby for a reason. Equipment and corals are very pricey. At 15, it’s very hard to come by the money needed. At your age, washing cars and cutting grass was how I made money. That’s an option. Try and get a job. Where you located?

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you! This hobby is very expensive. It’s called a rich mans hobby for a reason. Equipment and corals are very pricey. At 15, it’s very hard to come by the money needed. At your age, washing cars and cutting grass was how I made money. That’s an option. Try and get a job. Where you located?

Port St. Lucie Florida

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. My best advice is save what money you can, buy all your equipment, and only after collecting all the stuff you want, then attempt starting up the tank. That's what I did. Bought the tank during the dollar per gallon sale, made my stand myself, donated plasma twice a week to save up and buy all my equipment, and after I had it all gathered up, I started mixing my saltwater :) it may take a while to save up for everything, but when you get that tank up and running and it's exactly what you want, it'll all be worth it and you'll be extremely happy and feel pride :)

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out Natalie's Orchid Island Juice Company in Ft. Pierce. They use a lot of product ambassadors in the local area. They're a great company to work for and very receptive to you working when you can.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Port St. Lucie Florida
I ran freshwater since I was ten years old in 1976 and my father supported it. When I hit my teens I wanted to go saltwater but he was not going to flip the bill for going that route. So, I set up my first saltwater with my wife when we were married in 1986.

Maybe a local reef shop is in your area that could hire you part time for the weekends.
You could learn more about the hobby and get a paycheck too.

Hunter1036

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Lots of waiting for the right deal. I got a 40 gallon breeder with a fully set up sump and refugium and even some nice corals and a nice anemone for 200$ off of craigslist. And don’t buy junk. Buy at least the decent stuff so that it won’t break on you the first year of use

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Port St. Lucie Florida
So guess what! You live in my city......I love this hobby so much. I would like to help you. I just so happen to 2 large tanks packed full of corals that I have been collecting for many years. I also have a lot of different equipment type things that you could use. Send me a pm and we can set up a day for you to drop by and grab some corals for free.
Now I mostly keep acroporas...so I guess your gonna need some test kits. I might have some for you.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guess what! You live in my city......I love this hobby so much. I would like to help you. I just so happen to 2 large tanks packed full of corals that I have been collecting for many years. I also have a lot of different equipment type things that you could use. Send me a pm and we can set up a day for you to drop by and grab some corals for free.
Now I mostly keep acroporas...so I guess your gonna need some test kits. I might have some for you.
You sir are awesome. A real credit to the reefing community!

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now this person is awesome!

TreyC2010

But baby, the fish need it....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP possibly used the longest 1 sentence paragraph I’ve seen. ;)

As others have said, save your money up, bud. I started with a 55 gallon, 2 biowheel hang on back filters, inexpensive light, and a couple heaters/powerheads. It was my favorite tank. Just keep doing what you’re doing. Study, collect the equipment, and you will have a successful reef. Don’t think that just because someone has more money for equipment that they will have a better tank. You can do it!

OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP possibly used the longest 1 sentence paragraph I’ve seen. ;)

As others have said, save your money up, bud. I started with a 55 gallon, 2 biowheel hang on back filters, inexpensive light, and a couple heaters/powerheads. It was my favorite tank. Just keep doing what you’re doing. Study, collect the equipment, and you will have a successful reef. Don’t think that just because someone has more money for equipment that they will have a better tank. You can do it!

Thanks man

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. The frustration of wanting something so much and being limited on financial resources and it was no consolation from parents to hear “when you get older and have a job you can (in my case) get a horse.”
To heck with that...I busted butt, worked every lawn mowing and baby sitting job I could find. Asked for cash only on every holiday and saved, saved saved. At 15 I bought my horse with my own money and funded him thereafter with plenty more work.
You will never appreciate anything more than something you worked for. It might not be “all that” starting out. Mine was a 55gal starter from Walmart with nothing advanced about it. Keep working for what you love. Advice here is free and this isn’t an overnight success hobby. Get your feet wet as it were with what you can afford. Keep working hard and you will have everything you want in a tank eventually.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back